• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] My first catalog request from Death Row

Number47

First Post
About what inmate might choose to play...

Studies have shown that prisoners of all sorts, including death row, share the same beliefs and morals as the general populace. They might not have followed those morals themselves, but they have the values for right and wrong that we do.

As for the education factor mentioned, I don't recall what an average inmate's education is compared to the general populace.

Lastly, the whole "costs more to kill a death row inmate" argument is predicated upon the idea of the cost of appeals, right? Does this paradigm assume that somebody away for life with no chance of parole wouldn't play out their entire appeal options? I find that very unlikely.

Derek, if the guy is only asking for a catalog then that would fall under a "magazine/periodical" category so he could probably have one for a month or two. But I agree that you should contact the prison first.

Oh, and for those of you who say that this guy shouldn't get anything because he killed somebody...he's already on death row! I mean, whether he gets his silly RPG books or not, he's still a dead man. In the end, showing him kindness says more about who you are then what he's done.

bolen

First Post
I truly hope I was not the one who suggested that we should deny him games because he killed someone.

Even if I agreed with this barbarous law, I would want to show kindness. It is not our right not to sell it to them or anyone who can leagally buy it.

What I tried to say is that I am not sure that playing an imaginary escapist game is the best way to rehabilitate criminals.

William Ronald

Explorer
Derek,

I think that this is possibly the oddest thread I have seen in quite some time.

A friend (who is in my gaming group) is a Cook County Sheriff and a correctional officer. I am going to have to mention this one to him.

Derek, I think you need to check with the prison officials first. I have no problem with prisoners playing RPGs. Perhaps it might even give some of them a chance to view something from someone else's perspective. (One thing I have noticed about criminals is that they seldom consider any views but their own or their feelings of others. As a DM and player, I am forced to consider how many different types of people might understand a given situation or how they might feel.) Also, considering some of the more troublesome activities in prison, roleplaying is benign. (Generally, anything that keeps prisoners out of trouble is a good idea. Also, I think roleplaying can be used for rehabilitation. I know it is used in psychotherapy.)

I think we need to be very careful not to turn this into a political thread. I have known liberals and conservatives I respect and like as individuals. I think we need to respect each other despite our differences.

I see no need to deny the death row prisoner RPG materials, provided that there is no danger to prison workers or other prisoners. WDmith, as a corrections officer, what are your thoughts on the issue of prisoners playing RPGs?

TalonComics

First Post
I agree this has to be one of the bizarrest topics I've ever dealt with as well.
Thanks for all the responses, gang.
Yes, I plan on contacting the prison to see what their rules are regarding this. Avoiding the politics issue I think if I had to pass my time incarcerated RPGs would be the way to go. I imagine though the player choice wouldn't be too hot.

~D

green slime

First Post
Darkness said:
It's more expensive because of the way it's usually handled - but it's not inherently more expensive, I believe.

No, I guess not. The "People's" Republic of China charge the families of the executed the cost of the bullet...

Its just that if you want to have some pretense of justice, you have a long appeals process, in an attempt to ensure that people aren't wrongfully executed.

There are some undeniable facts;

a) No justice system is infallible.
b) On occasion the system will find innocents guilty of crimes they didn't commit.
c) You can't bring people back from the dead. You can attempt to compensate a guy you incorrectly locked away in a box for 40 years, with access to 5 photos.

TalonComics

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
So Talon, how many packs of smokes do you charge for a 3E Players Handbook?

Man, there's a tv program on one of the basic cable channels about the worth of tobacco in prison and by going by that I would guess like 1 or 2 cigs. Apparently if you get caught with tobacco you get major privileges taken away. I bet WSmith can comment on that.

~D

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
bolen said:
It is not our right not to sell it to them or anyone who can leagally buy it.

Totally side topic. But I have to disagree with you. It is our right. If I'm selling something then it's perfectly within my rights to change my mind about selling it, refuse to sell it to one person, or any person, for any reason or no reason at all.

Untill the exchange of money goes through it's my private property, and I can do with it as I please.

Holy Bovine

First Post
Wow. this is really wierd beacause I have had a similar experience.

About a year ago I got a letter published in Dragon magazine and (inadventantly) had my full address published. nothing much came of it until about 3 month later when an inmate in Pennsylvania (I think) sent me a letter asking if I could help him find softcover versions of the PHB, DMG and MM as the prison he was in didn't allow inmates to have hardcover books.

I was a little freaked and never responded to him - a decision I now deeply regret. Not because I have much sympathy for criminals (I feel far more sorry for their victims) but it could have been very interesting to have seen his take on RPG's. Did he start playing in prison or had he been a gamer all his life? What kind of characters did he play (all Rogues or Knights in Shining Armour?).

I guess I'll never know now.

Wicht

Hero
A2Z said:
I can't imagine a prisoner's going to have a lot of spending cash so this may just be a one time thing.

He may not be able to afford things personally, but if his relatives buy it for him and have it shipped from the actual company then he can probably still get a number of reading items he would not be able to afford himself.

Remove ads