[OT] My first catalog request from Death Row

bondetamp

First Post
WSmith said:
Now, I work at a maximum security penn (murderers and such). NO DICE ANYWHERE! Period. The only thing the have in hobby shop is, ORIGAMI! :D

So Amber or SAGA, then? :)

[EDIT] actually, origami could be a fun way to resolve disputes in Oriental Adventures.[/EDIT]

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
TalonComics said:
Joking aside how bizarre would it be to have a player gone from the game because he was actually put to death much less all of the players? It's just so surreal.

~D
Other players can die, too, you know...

King_Stannis

Explorer
TalonComics said:

...I guess I need to write him back and see what he can have and can't have. The bad thing about Texas is they really put you to death here when you're on D/R. I honestly don't know if I could handle knowing a customer of mine's days are numbered ticking like a clock...

~D

but derek, how do you know he didn't kill a potential customer?

just because this clown plays d&d should not make him sympathetic to anyone here. save your sympathy for the family of the person/people he probably killed.

Holden MaGroin

First Post
No d4s

From my perspective, they should be allowed to have all regular polyhedron dice, except for d4s.

Those things are pointy! Who hasn't stepped on one of those and cried out in pain?

So, no d4s and you're fine.

:) HM

Zander

Explorer
rigur said:
Couldn't they use a electronic dice generator or perhaps a programable calculator to simulate dice. I know I would prefer the real thing, but I guess these guys could live with it.

I'm a member of CAR-PGa (Committee for the Advancement of Role-Playing Games). Among many other projects, we document the cases of inmates who have wanted to play RPG's but have been denied the means. Last year, our own Col_Pladoh gave evidence in defence of an inmate in California who was denied any RPG material...

The reason that dice are often banned in US jails is not because they are dangerous, but because they can be used for gambling - which is verboten across the board in US prisons AFAIK. The fact that the inmates could gamble with any number of mundane objects is lost on some prison authorities.

Zander

Explorer
WSmith said:
In the meantime, they made this spinner out of cardboard, a staple and a pencil. The spinner had successive circles, labeled for the d4, d6, d8 etc all the way to the last ring, d100. It was a pretty ingenious idea.

But possibly not original. Many years ago, a spinner based on the same principle was produced commercially. It was called Pandora's Wheel or something like that. I have one, though not to hand.

It isn't free standing like a teetotum. Instead, the wheel rotates on a pivot that's attached to a base. A pointer is fixed to the base to tell you the result. It's not identical to what you describe, but the idea of dividing the wheel to combine multiple D's is the same.

I'm surprised the prison authorities at your former jail permitted it. Randomising devices are not normally allowed in jails because they can be used for gambling.

A2Z

Explorer
If they've got origami they can make paper dice. :)

Anyway this is really a strange topic. Derek I think if he wants them, and the prison doesn't object you shouldn't have a problem sending them. I can't imagine a prisoner's going to have a lot of spending cash so this may just be a one time thing. It might be nice to know that he's able to have something enjoyable in that situation.

Remove ads