[OT] Salmon and Fish Jumping

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Ahh, glorious!

I'm standing in front of my refrigerator right now, and I've got it covered in magnetized fish. Guppies (you can buy them ten for a dollar at the pet store) surround the door in a colorful nimbus. A king mackerel is draped across the top of the door, looking benevolently down on his piscine kingdom. Beneath him I've got several mountain trout from the stream behind my house, stuck to the door in a diorama of happy leaping fish. And at the bottom of the door, catfish and carp lurk. I wish I had a digital camera, so that I could show it to the board.

Curiously, the baby sharks I picked up from the fish market wouldn't magnetize, no matter how many times I rubbed the magnet across their bellies. Does anyone understand why this would be the case? Is it that sharks are primitive fish, or is it that I got babies, and fish only develop their polarization in adulthood?

Well, I probably ought to go: the cats are sniffing curiously at my handiwork, and if the fish are still here when my fiancee wakes up, she'll kill me.

Daniel

Harlock

First Post
Pielorinho said:
Curiously, the baby sharks I picked up from the fish market wouldn't magnetize, no matter how many times I rubbed the magnet across their bellies. Does anyone understand why this would be the case? Is it that sharks are primitive fish, or is it that I got babies, and fish only develop their polarization in adulthood?

Now you guys are just being silly and ruining this thread. Everyone knows that sharks do not have normal bones but rather they have cartilage which is defined thusly:

cartilage

\Car"ti*lage\, n. [L. cartilago; cf. F. cartilage.] (Anat.) A translucent, elastic tissue; gristle.

Note: Cartilage contains no vessels, and consists of a homogeneous, intercellular matrix, in which there are numerous minute cavities, or capsules, containing protoplasmic cells, the cartilage corpuscul. See Illust under Duplication.
emphasis added.

Does it make sense now? If not I'll spell it out for you: No vessels in the skeletal structure means no blood in bones. No bloo in bones means no iron in the blood in the bones. So how are you going to polarize a fish that has no iron in its skeletal system. Geeze folks, talk about grasping at straws! See my very first post in this thread that carefully and reasonably explains how fish jump. It's quite simple.

PS: Daniel, guppies are neat but Cichlids are just awesome! They also last on the fridge a bit longer than your standard ten for a dollar guppy. Good Luck!

Aeolius

Adventurer
'm gonna go buy some fish and magnets.
Fish_Slapping_Dance.jpg
[/IMG]

Festivus

First Post
I have concrete video proof that fish do indeed jump... the internets have told me so.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSbgb7KKrl4"]YouTube - 1980's Van De Kamps Jumping Fish Commercial[/ame]

PS: This is in General RPG because...?

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
I've tried it and it works...

Horse feathers. It sounds for the world like you are trying to get us go 'round, stroking dead fish.

Aside from that, define "jump" here. Do you mean, fully leaving the water or partly emerging from the water. Pet fish in a tank can be trained to jump in a way where they at least partly jump out of the water for food and treats. Wild sea fish do it and during breeding season fresh water fish will partly emerge from the water.

Remove ads