[OT] Spartan Special on History Channel

Moxie

First Post
College Mascots

Hmm... maybe I should comment on the college Spartans, at my Alma Mater the mascot was...

the Lumberjack!

Dragongirl

First Post
Storm Raven said:

Just as a side note: were there any contemporary societies that were not male dominated? It seems like having a male dominated society was about par for the course in the ancient world.

Yes, most societies have been/are male dominated. For me thinking of Sparta just makes me think extra dominated, don't know why.

Storm Raven said:
And given that most of the Greek world was pretty accepting of bisexuality, were there any contemporary Greek socieities that did not have a bisexual element?

I am not sure, but I think all the greek city-states were rather tolerant of bisexuality, at least when young. However, it was much more common and indeed expected in Sparta, at least amongst the military. Every member had sort of a "patron" when they were young who was also their lover, and then they were expected to take in a younger soldier when they got older. Made for a very cohesive military unit.

Originally posted by Kibo Are you refering to the greeks the college or both?[/B]

Hehe, I was refering to the greeks, I have no personal knowledge of the college so can't answer either way there. :)

Last edited:

DonAdam

Explorer
And given that most of the Greek world was pretty accepting of bisexuality, were there any contemporary Greek socieities that did not have a bisexual element?

Actually, this is only partially true.

While there was far and away more acceptance of bi/homosexuality among the Greeks, it was at the most a mixed bag as it is today.

In Plato's Symposium, our primary source on the nature of Greek homosexuality (including the idea of a mentor and a younger fellow), the speakers seem to indicate that, while they practice homosexuality, it is frowned upon by others. One of the chief concerns of one of the speakers is how these affairs should proceed so as to not arouse the contempt of the other citizens.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Dragongirl said:

Yes, most societies have been/are male dominated. For me thinking of Sparta just makes me think extra dominated, don't know why.

Actually, there's a lot of evidence to suggest that many Greek cultures were more matriarchal than we've been led to believe. Greek women controlled the home life, arranged marriages, oversaw the work of the servants, and were rather domineering towards their children. The male children then grew up fearing and resenting women, which is what led them to create their own seperate lives where "boys could be boys," if you get my drift.

I'd point you towards the book I read on the subject, if only I could remember its title... grr...

Achilles

First Post
I watched the show. In doing so, I achieved the ultimate level of geekiness. How, you ask?

I took notes on it. Two pages of notes, for no reason whatsoever.

I make myself sick.

SemperJase

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:

I don't get the History Channel unless I fork over another $20 a month for the "digital" package, which basically has the History channel and a bunch of crap I'd never watch.

Me too, and the History channel is my favoriite. When we go down to visit my in-laws I end up watching the History Channel every night.

Sure wish you can pick which channels you wanted. But then half the channels on cable would fold.

Remove ads