[OT] Webspace?

Terraism

Explorer
I know this is off topic, but I'm afraid it might be in the wrong forum too... 'cept I don't have a clue where else to put it. Sorry mods if it IS in the wrong spot... Anyway.

Does anyone know of a free hosting site (ala GeoCities, Freeservers, Tripod, etc.) that allows external linking? As in, a link to a file rather than an HTML page... most of the sites I know of don't allow it, meaning anything I put up there really can't be touched... :( (Though, oddly enough, it'll accept my avatar from that location, when it WON'T accept another image link...) Help?

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Terraism said:
I know this is off topic, but I'm afraid it might be in the wrong forum too... 'cept I don't have a clue where else to put it. Sorry mods if it IS in the wrong spot... Anyway.
Since you're not asking about this site, it's in the correct board. :)

graydoom

First Post
Avatars are uploaded to the forum server and linked from it, I believe.
And I've never had luck getting good image hosting... depending on what you want it for, probably the best thing to do is ask someone who has webspace themselves to host the images for you.

Terraism

Explorer
graydoom said:
Avatars are uploaded to the forum server and linked from it, I believe.
And I've never had luck getting good image hosting... depending on what you want it for, probably the best thing to do is ask someone who has webspace themselves to host the images for you.
Thing is, oftentimes it's documents (RTF or PDF) that I've whipped up that I'd like people to take a look at. I suppose I *can* get around it, but I'm lazy, darnit!

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Netscape might be worth a try, from what I've heard. Get a web page from them, and put your files there... I think you'll first need an e-mail account there, too, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. :)

Last edited:

Number47

First Post
You can attach files to posts now, you know. That should upload it from your hard drive right to ENWorld. Other than that, I have some web space that is not being fully used right now. Although I'm a little leery of just letting it go willy-nilly, I could certainly see my way to putting a few things up that are e-mailed to me.

BV210

Explorer
I don't know about free hosting, but I know where you can get hosted for fairly cheap. I've got my site hosted by HostOnce.com, which runs me $60/year. You get to pick your site name (no yaddayadda@theirname.com) and they have a pretty robust infrastructure which lets you basically run your own show. I've been with them for 6 months or so and am extremely happy. Give 'em a look.

Remove ads