• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT]Wrestling... how much is fake?

Eternalknight

First Post
On a side note, other than the official WWE site, do you guys know of any good wrestling sites? In particular, things that deal with behind the scenes stuff?

Black Omega

First Post
Dean was also booking the cruiserweight division for a time, for what it's worth. His technical skill is pretty impressive. He and his brother trained Carl Malenko (and let him use the Malenko name) for wrestling but he's handled himself pretty well in shoot matches in PRIDE.

As for Sid, I wasn't really thinking of him breaking his leg. More the 'take it easy on him' orders Benoit had for matches with Sid in the WCW. As well as the infamous squeegie incident with Brian Pillman.

Meng/Haku is a very tough guy along the lines of APA. Not a guy you'd want to fight in a bar. During his never lose streak in the WCW part of the reason he never lost was the booker didn't want to meet him face to face and tell him to lose.;)

Triple H

First Post
Hey guys glad to see wrestling being talked about on the Enworld. For those of you who dont know I am a real life wrestler still training to make it into the big leagues.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Eternalknight

First Post
Triple H said:
Hey guys glad to see wrestling being talked about on the Enworld. For those of you who dont know I am a real life wrestler still training to make it into the big leagues.

If you have any questions just let me know.

On a side note, other than the official WWE site, do you guys know of any good wrestling sites? In particular, things that deal with behind the scenes stuff?

Black Omega

First Post
There are a few worth checking out.

Wrestling Observer Online
More an online advertisement for Dave's Wrestling Observer newsletter. But still pretty cool. For inside info you won't beat WO, but it costs money.;)

1wrestling.com A silly number of popups but at least current info.

That's about it. With the wrestling boom well past, I'm finding the other websites I have bookmarked are mostly gone.

Villano

First Post
Oops...

Sorry, Eternalknight. I kinda forgot about this thread.

Like Black Omega says, Wrestling Observer is a great site.

1Wrestling is also good information-wise, but I haven't been on it in a while due to the site itself. All the ads and other crap causes it to take forever to load on my system.

Plus there are a lot of redundancies. Take the "Ask 1Wrestling" column. Click on the link only to be taken to a page that tells you to click on something else which takes you to a page with the intro from which you have to click on something else to get to the first questions.

Add that to the a slow loading time and you see why I tend to not go there.

Another site is www.pwtorch.com

So-so site. It can have some good info, but some of the columnists think they are comedians and try their hands at "funny" (to use the word very loosely) columns.

They also allow guest editorials, sometimes written by people who state the painfully obvious or are complete WWE fanboys.

I usually avoid them along with the letters from readers.

I haven't watched an entire episode of RAW (I don't get Smackdown) in quite awhile. I'll turn it on every once in a while and watch until something incredibly stupid happens at which point I turn it off.

Sadly, they are becoming more and more like WCW every day. Some good matches (usually thrown together with no backstory) which end in DQs. Main eventers who are getting old and/or aren't good wrestlers, who use their power to push themselves (Triple H is just handed the title?! Sure, whatever.).

It all comes down to very bad writing (which MacMahon will never admit since his daughter, Steph, is in charge) and bad business decisions (Let's hire all the guys who brought down WCW! Brilliant, Vince!).

The ratings have been dipping week-by-week, and knowing Vince, he'll blame it on the "little guys" and the new guys. His solution will probably be to have Triple H and Undertaker squash some mid-carders.

I just read something on PW Torch which said that, 4 years ago, WCW & WWF were pulling in a combined rating around 9. Now WWE is hovering around a 3.4. That means that there are less than half the fans watching anymore.

Vince will probably continue to cut talent (Whatever happened to Jerry Lynn and the WCW cruiserweights?) to save costs (While paying Nash to stay at home).

And we'll see Undertaker vs Triple H for the 1,000th time.

Oh, joy.

I still think that one of the best was Mick Foley.. I really dont' know anyone who worked harder and who really didn't have any tallent whatsoever, but the man worked really hard and payed the price that is for sure.. Mr. Socko was damn funny..

And speaking of Foley, the second Hell in the Cell match where Undertaker threw him off and then through the top of the cage was unbelievable.. sorry, but if anyone says that was fake needs to be chokeslamed through a cage to the mat 15ft below...

as of now, I really don't like too many wrestlers in the biz.. i like Rey Mysterio just because the man defies gravity, Triple H cause he is well, Triple H :) and a few others that I won't bore people with..

Ranger REG

Explorer
We know that some of the high-risk maneuvers and stunts they do are not fake. They're well-choreagraphed stunts. Like stuntmen, these performers are willing to put their body on the line to captivate their audience.

But being high risk, sh*t happens. Like Droz, for example. He was paralyzed after he got power-bombed from J-Lo Brown. Steve Austin had to undergo neck surgery years later to correct an injury caused by a piledriver maneuver. In fact, that maneuver and variations of that have not been used very often in WWE matches, what with the Undertaker's most famous signature move is the Tombstone being replaced with The Last Ride (a power bomb variation).

Black Omega

First Post
Ranger REG said:
We know that some of the high-risk maneuvers and stunts they do are not fake. They're well-choreagraphed stunts. Like stuntmen, these performers are willing to put their body on the line to captivate their audience.
A good point. I'll also give props to the high flyers because they are doing real teim stunts they must get right the first time.

But being high risk, sh*t happens. Like Droz, for example. He was paralyzed after he got power-bombed from J-Lo Brown.
I'm pretty sure you mean D-Lo Brown.:)

Steve Austin had to undergo neck surgery years later to correct an injury caused by a piledriver maneuver. In fact, that maneuver and variations of that have not been used very often in WWE matches, what with the Undertaker's most famous signature move is the Tombstone being replaced with The Last Ride (a power bomb variation).
Yes, Austin held that against Owen Hart right to the end. Ironically, Austin almost killed a Japanese wrestler in the same way, earlier.

In Lucha Libre down in Mexico piledrivers were outlawed years ago. They still use them, but only very rarely and they are put over as a devestating, That's-The-End type of move.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Um yeah, D-Lo Brown. My bad. For some reason my head is filled with Jennifer Lopez. I mean it's bad enough I'm already dreaming of Trish, Torrie, and Stacy in a nude freestyle wrestling match and I'm the coach. :p

Remove ads