• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Other Classic Adventure Remakes?

Raith5

Adventurer
I think new ideas are desperately needed for D&D modules.

But I would out in another vote for the U series. I also think expanding the H1-4 Bloodstone Pass series could be a good series with large scale battles to boot for characters levels 14 upward.

Or they could redo N2 The Forest Oracle!

Having every second storyline be a reprint/update would be interesting. I'd be happy with that for a while. But there needs to be equal parts new.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Do you consider the Hoard of the dragon queen or Princes of the apocalypse to be remakes? I don't, but they have perhaps sullied the chances of a temple of elemental evil or DragonLance remake.

For me best adventure path to remake would be Night Below
Best nostalgic one to remake - GDQ series

edit: actually I'm not sure what the ownership issues are but I would love the three dungeon adventure paths - shackled city, age of worms and savage tide. They are probably too recent though.

delericho

Legend
Do you consider the Hoard of the dragon queen or Princes of the apocalypse to be remakes?

Sort of.

ToD has significant trappings in common with Dragonlance: a plot to free Tiamat from the Abyss; five enemy leaders each themed on a colour of dragon; an agreement that the good dragons won't get involved; a flying castle; an undead villain who is working with, but not loyal to, the main bad guys; and even a magic crown intended to be given to the overall evil leader in a final ritual the PCs can disrupt. It even has a council of the good guys that is riven by very serious internal bickering! The main thing it's missing are the actual armies.

So it's not a remake as such, but I do think it makes revisiting the original DL series any time soon unlikely.

PotA is very definitely not a remake, but it's also very definitely "inspired by" the original ToEE. That's actually the model I would expect WotC to adopt for most of their 'remakes' anyway, so I'd again be surprised if they revisited the Temple any time soon.

(And that makes sense - different sources call for different approaches. Much like the 4e settings: FR had the timeline advanced and the setting significantly changed; Eberron was left as-is; and Dark Sun was essentially rebooted to a "just after the first novel" point in time.)

edit: actually I'm not sure what the ownership issues are but I would love the three dungeon adventure paths - shackled city, age of worms and savage tide.

The original Dungeon magazine issues ascribed the copyright of the material to WotC. However, there may well have been a clause in the contracts that required Paizo to agree to or be involved in any related projects. I would welcome an update of any of these, for 5e or Pathfinder, but I'd be surprised.

werecorpse

Adventurer
Paizo have said they can't even reprint them (there was demand for an Age of worms or Savage tide hardcover) without wotc approval. So no pathfinder versions.

I hope this means they are 100% wotc and could be made 5e, in a hardcover, updated. It would mean either a big greyhawk investment or some changes to make it forgotten realms.

delericho

Legend
Paizo have said they can't even reprint them (there was demand for an Age of worms or Savage tide hardcover) without wotc approval. So no pathfinder versions.

Yep. Unless, of course, a deal were agreed.

I hope this means they are 100% wotc and could be made 5e, in a hardcover, updated.

I'm torn on that. Paizo put in a lot of work to make those APs, so if there is an update I'd rather like to see them get a cut. On the other hand, if that then means we never see an update at all, I'm less keen. :)

Ultimately, though, it comes down to the detail of the contract.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I'm torn on that. Paizo put in a lot of work to make those APs, so if there is an update I'd rather like to see them get a cut....

I think the people at Paizo got a decent benefit for all their awesome hard work on those adventure paths. The creative and publishing knowledge they got from creating them gave them the know how and a platform to become the best at making adventure paths, which ultimately lead them to where they are now (yes with many steps along the way).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads