D&D General other possible elements?

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Yes, they are overdone, but from the binary perspective good/bad. The dark I refer to is the cosmological dark, what we cannot see but that holds time and space together and the material souls are made of. Not merely the absence of light.

And music/sound like @Tonguez mentioned, the comic symphony.
yeah that is void or either according to past posts.
Wood, Flesh, Fungus, and Spirit.

The thing is, you have to think about the why of the elements. Are they the basic things all matter is made of? Are they basic agents of all action? I did the above four based on the basic building blocks of life. But if you like wood, figure out a why that gives you wood, and then use that why to figure out the other three.
flesh, fungus and wood would more or less be the same thing thematically, life, growth.
Adventure Time elements:
Fire
Ice
Candy
Slime
yeah two of them mess with me and I have watched the video by TrueLocalEnthusiast about them.

so we got the growth of life, light /possibly electromagnetism and either by way of destiny's void.

one more wacky option to plug in

Yaarel

He Mage
I tend to associate Void (empty space) with teleportation and time travel.

The idea is moving "between" two points in space-time.

Then Ether is identical with "force", especially gravity, but including telekinesis, and atomic forces whence Disintegration. Thinking on it now, perhaps disintegration makes more sense to give to the element of void.

When referring to force as a kind of substance that things are made out of, it is called "ether", and is the "fifth element" also called quintessence. Unlike the four elements, the fifth element is immaterial lacking matter.

Mind of tempest

Then Ether is identical with "force", especially gravity, but including telekinesis, and atomic forces whence Disintegration. Thinking on it now, perhaps disintegration makes more sense to give to the element of void.

When referring to force as a kind of substance that things are made out of, it is called "ether", and is the "fifth element" also called quintessence. Unlike the four elements, the fifth element is immaterial lacking matter.
yeah I am not letting people near time travel that is a can of worms like the multiverse you got to build for it deliberately or it fails.
wormholes are not teleportation which is what I think you are describing.

did you watch the video it is more or less the rest of what you said just sort of vampiric but not entropic you slay and gain more or less everything not instantly annihilated.

any idea for an 8th option?
we have fire, water, air, rock, growth(wood), some cooler way to sum up the Chinese element of metal in an easy-to-say way and void.

Yaarel

He Mage
yeah I am not letting people near time travel that is a can of worms like the multiverse you got to build for it deliberately or it fails.
wormholes are not teleportation which is what I think you are describing.
Actually, I consider "wormhole" to be the only legitimate method of teleportation.

The other methods are more like create a clone and kill the original.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Gargantuan Elemental, Chaotic Neutral

Armor Class 18 (Natural Armor)
Hit Points 250 (20d12 + 120)
Speed Fly 60 ft. (hover), Teleport 60 ft.

STR 24 (+7) CON 22 (+6) DEX 16 (+3)
INT 4 (-3) WIS 10 (+0) CHA 6 (-2)

Saving Throws STR +11, DEX +7, CON +10
Immunities Force, Poison, Psychic, Blinded, Deafened, Frightened, Poisoned
Senses Blindsight 120 ft., Passive Perception 10
Languages Unknowable

An otherworldly entity of immense, formless darkness that swallows light, sound, force and life. it is a writhing, dense mass of nothingness, a palpable absence beyond understanding or definition. The Void Elemental is a cosmic force that disrupts the very fabric of reality, a vortex dragging everything into its vast and empty embrace.

Habitat. The Void Elemental roams the vast emptiness of space until it is drawn to places where planar breaches have caused the boundaries between dimensions to grow thin, creating areas of cosmic instability.

Motivation: To absorb excess magic, light and matter in the universe and restore equilibrium to the void of space.

Void Effects. The Void Elemental absorbs light and sound, creating a 60-foot area of darkness and silence around it. Furthermore it distorts the region up to 5 miles around it, obscuring the stars and deepening shadows.

Null Magic Zone. An area within 60 ft. of the Void Elemental is devoid of all magical effects. Spells cast within 100 ft. have a chance to be nullified (as dispel magic DC 18). The Void Elemental gains hit points equal to twice the spell level of a nullified spell.

Dissonant Whispers: Unsettling, unintelligible whispers echo in the minds of creatures within 60 ft of the Void Elemental causing 3d6 psychic damage dues to an overwhelming sense of despair (frightened). Those affected must make a Wisdom saving throw at the start of their next turn.

Temporal Stasis: Time is distorted within a 40-ft radius, the speed of all targets in the area is halved, they take a -2 penalty to AC and Dexterity saving throws, and can't use reactions.

Force Absorption. Whenever the Void Elemental is subjected to force damage, it takes no damage and instead gains temporary hit points equal to the force damage dealt.

Ethereal Distortion. Ethereal creatures within 60 ft. are drawn into the Material Plane.

Vortex. Ranged Spell Attack: +6 to hit, range 60 ft. Hit: 23 (3d10) force damage. Creatures within 60 ft. of the Void Elemental must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or be pulled 30 ft. towards the Elemental.

Suffocating Aura. Creatures within 20 feet of the Void Elemental must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw at the start of their turn or be unable to breathe. They can repeat the saving throw at the start of each of their turns.

Tactics
Lurker
: Using its Void Effects to cloak its approach, the Void Elemental strategically positions itself in areas of Darkness before surprising its enemies.
Nullify Magic: The Void Elemental seeks to render magic useless and thus weaken its adversaries.
Battlefield Control: Using its mobility, Vortex and Suffocating Aura to control enemy position and make them suffer.

Voadam

Legend
Four additional for D&D:

Positive (life growth) Negative (unlife, entropy), Astral (thought philosophy), Ethereal (soul emotions)

Possible elementals:

Life = druid animal summons. Or more disturbingly, fleshy aberrations such as shoggoth-like gibbering mouthers.

Unlife = undead.

Astral = non-people soul outsiders. So demons are elementals of CE, angels are elementals of good, etc.

Ethereal = people souls, what are petitioners in some versions of D&D or maybe ghosts who are any alignment unlike most undead.

Mind of tempest

Possible elementals:

Life = druid animal summons. Or more disturbingly, fleshy aberrations such as shoggoth-like gibbering mouthers.

Unlife = undead.

Astral = non-people soul outsiders. So demons are elementals of CE, angels are elementals of good, etc.

Ethereal = people souls, what are petitioners in some versions of D&D or maybe ghosts who are any alignment unlike most undead.
those seem non-elemental or too philosophical to work

Voadam

Legend
those seem non-elemental or too philosophical to work
For what purpose do you want extra D&D elements? To have different elementals as monster and summon options? To narratively shake up the classic four as an in-game philosophical construct/perspective? To redo a Great Wheel inner plane structure and have physical places to go? To expand powers that build off of elemental stuff?

I have long conceived of demons as elementals of CE alignment, for example, with other outsiders being similar concept elementals and it works pretty well conceptually while requiring no mechanical changes.

Bupp

Adventurer
I use the 5e damage types as my "elements", taking out the "mundane" bludgeoning, slashing, piercing.

Acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, radiant, and thunder.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I use the 5e damage types as my "elements", taking out the "mundane" bludgeoning, slashing, piercing.

Acid, cold, fire, force, lightning, necrotic, poison, psychic, radiant, and thunder.
I've combined bludgeon/slash/pierce under the title of Kinetic energy thus Kinetic Elemental
"A vaguely humanoid form rising in a swirling maelstrom of kinetic energy its elemental core pulsating with power, its outer form a constant dance of razor-sharp blades, needle sharp projections and concussive pulses. Its movements are deliberate and fluid, in moments of calm, it hovers gracefully, its radiant nucleus pulsating, but when stirred to action it is unpredictable and devastating, releasing slashing tendrils, piercing projectiles, and concussive shockwaves. Even the very air around elemental resonates to its power, causing objects and the very ground to vibrate to its motion."

Last edited:

Remove ads