D&D General other possible elements?

Discordian - Boom, Sweet, Pungent, Orange, Prickle

Chinese Philosophy - Earth, Metal, Water, Wood, Fire

Classical, extended - Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Aether

Captain Planet - Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Heart
Disco - Earth, Wind, and Fire

Exalted (Autuchthonia) - Metal, Crystal, Oil, Smoke, Steam, Lightning

Exalted (Malfeas) - Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Vitriol

Also I feel I would be remiss If I did not post a link to [irl=[URL]https://neal.fun/infinite-craft/]Infinite[/URL] Craft[/url]

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Discordian - Boom, Sweet, Pungent, Orange, Prickle

Chinese Philosophy - Earth, Metal, Water, Wood, Fire

Classical, extended - Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Aether

Captain Planet - Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Heart
Disco - Earth, Wind, and Fire

Exalted (Autuchthonia) - Metal, Crystal, Oil, Smoke, Steam, Lightning

Exalted (Malfeas) - Earth, Fire, Wind, Water, Vitriol

Also I feel I would be remiss If I did not post a link to [irl=[URL]https://neal.fun/infinite-craft/]Infinite[/URL] Craft[/url]

what is vitriol in this example?

I am not doing heart that is clearly the outer planes of afterlives rather than substance of reality.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Elemental Plane of Uranium pls
I've been meaning on whipping up a whole set of dragons who breath is a radiant death (radiation. they breathe radiation), gotta do those at some point. Along with the dumb idea I had for some other metallic dragon types thanks to swiping some obscure Dragonlance lore...

Anyway, the basics you go when you want more elements are the Wood and Metal combo, or drag in the basically elements of Lightning, Ice, Dark and Light. But, if too close, consider instead our good friend: The Plane of Decay. Of Rot. A contradiction of a plane that is personified entropy, the endlessly roiling forces that erode structures over time and reduce even the stars to nothingness. This is where the mushrooms show up, not Wood.

I heartily approve of this topic, for what it's worth. The four classical elements are WAY overdone in D&D. Not just the elementals and the elemental planes, but they're splattered all over genies, and giants, and even the very concept of chaos now. It'd be great to see something different, a less-overdone way of organising the cosmos.

The four humours of classical medicine I saw someone mentioned above. That'd be cool, right up until you had to explain to your artists exactly what 'black bile' really is and send them off to draw a poo elemental (or a poo genie, or poo giant, or a poo dragon, heaven help us all) .

Discarding all pretences of fidelity to historical systems and sticking to a gaming 'rule of cool', I could see a variant set of five elements based around wood, ice, metal, blood, and light being functional. I think most bases are covered there. Or hell, throw the elements out the window completely and base your cosmology around the zodiac (classical or Chinese). Or the four seasons. Or the seven deadly sins. Or the arts of the nine muses.

Yaarel

He Mage
I've combined bludgeon/slash/pierce under the title of Kinetic energy thus Kinetic Elemental
I use

a 4e-ism and refer to Bludgeon/Slash/Pierce as the "Weapon" damage type. Earth elementals typically inflict the Weapon damage type.

Primordial, unstable, Earth, as a kind of "energy", is Acid.

Air: Lightning-Thunder
Water: Cold
Fire: Radiant-Fire

Ether: Force
Primal: Poison

Shadow (Death): Necrotic

Yaarel

He Mage
@Mind of tempest

If I understand correctly, your current elemental list is:

• earth
• water
• air
• fire

• wood
• metal
• void/space

If so, fire could conflate with radiant light and lightning.

I still think "Ether" is a useful element, meaning the Force of Magic Missile and Telekinesis, the stuff that Shield and Mage Armor are made out of, as well as the "magical energy" that conjurations and ghostly manifestations are made out of.

Mind of tempest

@Mind of tempest

If I understand correctly, your current elemental list is:

• earth
• water
• air
• fire

• wood
• metal
• void/space

If so, fire could conflate with radiant light and lightning.

I still think "Ether" is a useful element, meaning the Force of Magic Missile and Telekinesis, the stuff that Shield and Mage Armor are made out of, as well as the "magical energy" that conjurations and ghostly manifestations are made out of.
you said void is also ether hence 7 an unlikeable and un even number

Mind of tempest

I've been meaning on whipping up a whole set of dragons who breath is a radiant death (radiation. they breathe radiation), gotta do those at some point. Along with the dumb idea I had for some other metallic dragon types thanks to swiping some obscure Dragonlance lore...

Anyway, the basics you go when you want more elements are the Wood and Metal combo, or drag in the basically elements of Lightning, Ice, Dark and Light. But, if too close, consider instead our good friend: The Plane of Decay. Of Rot. A contradiction of a plane that is personified entropy, the endlessly roiling forces that erode structures over time and reduce even the stars to nothingness. This is where the mushrooms show up, not Wood.
if you wish to move a radiation as we know it away from radiation of holy light as the game defines it, might I suggest the first be called atomic damage makes it clear of what it is.
I use

a 4e-ism and refer to Bludgeon/Slash/Pierce as the "Weapon" damage type. Earth elementals typically inflict the Weapon damage type.

Primordial, unstable, Earth, as a kind of "energy", is Acid.

Air: Lightning-Thunder
Water: Cold
Fire: Radiant-Fire

Ether: Force
Primal: Poison

Shadow (Death): Necrotic
that is flat insane, water is acid earth has either thunder(earthquakes) or weapon.

cold is not water, cold is not.
elemental absence a vacuum of energy hence why Ice breath attacks are the least realistic of all damage types even more so that Godzilla's radioactive particle beam.

Yaarel

He Mage
you said void is also ether hence 7 an unlikeable and un even number
I view Void (nothingness, space-time) and Ether (somethingness, the reallife "fundamanetal forces" of physics), to be separate elements.

Note, electromagnetism is one of the fundamental force, but I tend to divide this one up into the other elements: Positive Energy, Fire (Radiant Light), and Air (Lightning).

I still havent committed to where the magnetism goes, whether keep it with Ether (Force) or give it to Air (Lightning)

Remove ads