• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Out of the Abyss IC

Yavathol

Explorer
OOC: Kamael will have a light spell up, both for Brinn & to help with the mapping. I think LK meant to stop in the light area ahead of us?

GlassEye

Adventurer
Raza Thulcandra

"Stop here?" questioned Raza. "We lose the advantage of numbers if we stop in such a narrow passage. Heroics are for children's tales and fools. Kago has the right of it: we should keep going until we reach a spot where we have better advantage."

Raza pointed a crooked finger at Solace. "You hide, you won't do it alone. People tend to overlook me. I'll hide with you; when the time comes."

[sblock=Raza, in brief]
[size=+1]Raza Thulcandra[/size], halfling Druid 3
Initiative: +2; Inspiration: No
AC: 13, Current: 13; HP: 24/24; Speed: 25 ft

Str 8 (-1), Dex 15 (+2) , Con 14 (+2), Int 11 (+0), Wis 15 (+2), Cha 12 (+1)

Conditions: Darkvision
Saves: Intelligence +2, Wisdom +4
Skills: Insight +4, Perception +4, Religion +2, Stealth +4
Senses: passive Perception 14

In Hand: flame
Spells Prepared: (5) (Grimoire)
  • 2nd level: 1/2; Darkvision, Flame Blade*, Spider Climb (circle), Spike Growth (circle)
  • 1st level: 4/4; Absorb Elements*, Cure Wounds*, Faerie Fire
  • Cantrips: Druidcraft, Mold Earth, Produce Flame
* can be cast at higher level

Special:
Lucky, Brave, Halfling Nimbleness, Naturally Stealthy, Natural Recovery 2/2
Wild Shape 2/2 (1 hour duration)

Stuff:

[/sblock]

Jimjar's eyes glittered with eagerness at Kamael's offer of a bet. The little deep gnome pointed at Brinn, "It'll catch us, he'll miss his first kick, then hit with his fist." Jimjar fished in a pocket and pulled out a fish hook. No twine, just a hook. "Here's my wager, where's yours?" He eyed Kamael with mistrust.

Just then, there was an audible low moan from deep behind the group, back down the path. The groan echoed in the stillness of the passageway, amplified as long sound waves stretched down the straightway. At the tail end of the moaning, a wind kicked up. Dirt eddied and whirled in blustering maelstroms that stung eyes and clotted nostrils. It became hard to breathe. The groaning grew louder.

Yavathol

Explorer
Kamael looked nervous, "Ehh, changed my mind JimJar! Let's all keep going to an open area where we can surround it..."

Mentally, he added, And by we, I mean you others, and by open area, I mean a junction with multiple escape routes!

Last edited:

Jimjar re-pocketed his fishhook, and cast a look of utter disgust at Kamael for having gone back on a barter. The gust of wind dissipated in short order, ceasing as abruptly as it began. There were no more moans. The group set off once again, single-file, keeping a fast pace with Kago at the lead. Six more hours passed, with nothing to eat. Brinn had long since ceased to hear the stalker; it seemed the group had left whatever it was far behind. The tunnel showed no sign of abating. It remained narrow, though it twisted and turned with capriciousness.

OOC: It's been eight hours. Continue marching, or rest (long or short rest)? If a rest, watch order (see the originating post in the OOC for default watch order)? Continuing to march will be a forced march (PHB 181), which means that for each additional hour beyond 8 hours, a character must make a Constitution saving throw at the end of the hour, DC 10 + 1 for each hour past 8 hours. On a failed saving throw, a character suffers one level of exhaustion. Exhaustion (PHB 291) is measured in six levels:
[sblock=Exhaustion]1 Disadvantage on ability checks
2 Speed halved
3 Disadvantage on attack rolls and saving throws
4 Hit point maximum halved
5 Speed reduced to 0
6 Death

The effects of exhaustion are cumulative. For example, a character suffering level 2 exhaustion has its speed halved and disadvantage on ability checks. Finishing a long rest reduces a creature's exhaustion level of 1, provided the creature also has ingested food and drink. Everyone is currently at exhaustion level 0. Starvation is one way you increase in exhaustion levels. [/sblock]

Yavathol

Explorer
Kamael acquiesces to Kago's leadership, "Fair point, no sense in exhausting ourselves and then possibly having to fight. Don't go too far in either direction guys, I'm going to put down the caltrops again."

Kamael then ventured ten metres forward up the tunnel, spread out half of his caltrops, and did the same again with the other half ten metres back the way they had come. He then walked back to the middle of the group and found a comfortable rock to lean against, "Wake me when it is my watch!"

OOC: 10 meters...doing the metric conversion in my head...it's 30 feet. Give or take. Google says 32.8084 feet. Nodding.

Kago hunted for food. He'd foraged before, this was nothing new. Now that the group had stopped for a rest, Brinn joined him in the foraging. The pair of them found a trail of ants, of all things, that they hunted to an underground lair. Several stings from angry ants later, Kago and Brinn unearthed a colony on ants, replete with larvae. Coupled with the lichen Brinn found on the east side of a boulder, it was enough to make a small meal for nine very hungry individuals who hadn't eaten more than a mouthful of salted fish in broth in forty-eight hours.

OOC: And the Wanderer background feature kicks in to prevent an exhaustion level by way of starvation. Good call taking that one, guys.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Ever the conversationalist, Kago stares at Brinn stoically. He stuffs a fingerfull of the ant-lichen surprise into his maw, then settles into a crevice much too small for him.

Remove ads