• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Out of the Abyss IC

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Solace also stops, dousing her light spell for the moment, but conscious that she'll need it to see.

Purple-white splotches appear before her eyes as the adjust to the darkness.

OOC: We're going to take this live again. I mulled thing over on the weekend and hadn't thought I would have time, but something unexpectedly fell off my plate today, leaving room to resume things here. Work on my end remains all-consuming, with no time, really, for me to post during the workday. That's okay; we can enjoy a viable game without needing to post multiple times per day.

That said, I note we've suffered a loss of material. I'll recap from memory: The group escaped its drow captors at Velkynvelve, and, with the kuo-toa fellow prisoner Shuushar as guide, made its way from Velkynvelve to the nearest known civilization in the Underdark, the kuo-toa city called Sloobludop. The group set a fast pace most of the time, which meant less opportunity for foraging (you ate ant larvae at one point, and rocktopus flesh) and stealth, but you managed to put more distance between yourselves and drow pursuers. You haven't seen any drow pursuers since your escape, but the group narrowly avoided capture by kuo-toa guards. You'd just come to the edge of the Dark Lake and were near Sloobludop when a second group of kuo-toa led by an aging priest named Plooploopeen (don't look at me, I didn't write this stuff) cut you off at the mouth of the tunnel that led to the lake. The group parlayed with Plooploopeen and his eight kuo-toa guards, the outcome of which was that Plooploopeen enlisted your aid in dethroning his daughter, Bloppblippodd (insert eye roll here), and re-taking Sloobludop. Plooploopeen promised each of you a boon in exchange for your service, and hinted that inside Sloobludop there is treasure from which the boon will likely come. Plooploopeen additionally stated his daughter is leading a kuo-toa cult and has been offering live sacrifices to her chosen god, the Deep Father. Culturally, this is a hardship on Sloobludopians, who traditionally worship the Sea Mother. Plooploopeen appears distressed.

Plooploopeen and his contingent took you beneath the water of the Dark Lake to their hidey hole, a hollowed geode on the bottom of the lake. Plooploopeen cast some sort of water breathing spell on the lot of you to help you swim to the depths of the lake. Once you were inside the geode, however, there was a rocky crystal shore, a patch of dry level basalt, and air to breathe. You ate and took a long rest. If memory serves, the group quit the geode and swam back to the shore of the Dark Lake. If we did something after this point, I forget what it was. Solace and/or Kamael might have entered and scouted Sloobludop, but I can't say with any precision whether this occurred or if we were leading up to it. I think the sanest course of action would be to actually be NOT to leave the geode yet. I prefer to pick up inside the geode, let you ask questions and converse to get back into the swing of things, and to maybe formulate how you want to approach Sloobludop.

[MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] [MENTION=33284]Yavathol[/MENTION] [MENTION=40413]GlassEye[/MENTION] [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] [MENTION=6829052]Wrex[/MENTION] (in case he's around, but I kind of doubt he is...he's been busy at work)

You wake after a solid eight hour's unmolested rest to the sound of low chanting. It's Plooploopeen, going through his daily mantra, praying his spells. The wizened kuo-toa opens his eyes, stretches, and nods at you. "You have rested, and have questions, I am certain. What do you wish to know of my city, friends?" His tone is mild, but his eyes remain fishlike and foreign. The other eight kuo-toa guards wake and being slow movements, some of them praying quietly, others eating what smells like dried fish.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Kago wakes and considers the fish-priest's words carefully. In his own culture, Kago and his kin have always preferred an honorable, straight-forward attack. But Kago was wise, for an orc, and he knew that his culture had no place in the underdark. Here, is was subterfuge and trickery that won the day, and this is something that Kago was inherently not good at. As such, he kept his words to himself, and let the others to the planning. His focus at this point was just in surviving the underdark, honor be damned.

Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 18; [B]HP:[/B] [COLOR=#FF000]31[/COLOR]/31
[B]Initiative:[/B] -1
[B]Saves:[/B] WIS +5, CHA +2
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 13
[B]Languages:[/B] Orc, Common, Goblin
Darkvision 60 ft.
[B]Skills:[/B] Athletics +5, Insight +5, Medicine +5, Survival +5
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 16 (+3), Dex 8 (-1) , Con 14 (+2), Int 10 (+0), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 10 (+0)

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [ ] Yes, [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] No
-[B]Channel Divinity (2 uses per short or long rest)[/B]? 1.[ ] 2.[ ]
-[B]War Priest[/B] (bonus action, 3 uses per long rest): 1.[ ] 2.[ ] 3.[ ]

[B]Spell Slots:[/B] 4, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
[B]Slots Used:[/B]  0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0
[B]Spells Prepared:[/B] (5) [URL="http://ephe.github.io/grimoire/"](Grimoire)[/URL]
[LIST]
[*][B]Cantrips:[/B] Resistance, Sacred Flame, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy
[*][B]Domain Spells:[/B] Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Magic Weapon, Spiritual Weapon
[*][B]1st Level:[/B] Create or Destroy Water (*), Cure Wounds (*), Guiding Bolt (*), Healing Word (*), Inflict Wounds (*)
[*][B]2nd Level:[/B] Lesser Restoration, Prayer of Healing (*)
[/LIST]
(*) can be cast at higher levels

OOC:
As such, he kept his words to himself, and let the others to the planning.
Oh, no you don't, mon ami. :) There's no room for abdication in PbP.

One of the kuo-toa warriors, one of the two lightning priests Kago thought, cozied up to the orc and sat down. The creature got right up into Kago's personal space, closer than the orc was used to or comfortable with. From so close a distance, Kago could make out the creature's webbed hands and feet, see the way its skin was thin (how did they stay warm beneath the frigid water of the lake?). The kuo-toa looked alternately bulky and pasty. It croaked at him in Common, "You are a warrior. You will want to know how to enter the city. There are the gates, and there are the wharves. Both are guarded, but perhaps the wharves offer more cover."

industrygothica

Adventurer
Kago looks into the kuo-toa, hopefully conveying his annoyance at his proximity without having to voice it outright. "Perhaps," he says, knocking on his armor. "But I've never been one for stealth."

OOC: CB, didn't we have a map of the location? Seems I recall the fish priest showing us a map at one point.

OOC: I don't remember if I provided a map of Sloobludop. But I've for sure got one at home ('cause I bought Jared Blando's maps for the campaign). I'll provide the map later tonight (a redacted version, I think I have those on file).

Ploopploopeen shifted his gaze to Brinn and responded, "Your boon is no small venture, but something shall be provided. The warriors I still command are assembled before you, these eight. Two of them," Plooploopeen gestured to two frog warriors, one seated in Kago's personal space and another (the one who's been maliciously eyeballing the first warrior this whole time) leaning against the far wall, "wield lightning. The other six are loyal servants, but have never been tested in battle. We have been peaceful for so long, you see. There has been no need. It is my daughter, Bloppblippodd is her name, who has usurped my seat. She worships the Deep Father. It saddens me to see her throw her will against mine, and that she chose the Deep Father as her means to power. She was a good child, when small. She and her followers occupy the city."

Kago looks into the kuo-toa, hopefully conveying his annoyance at his proximity without having to voice it outright. "Perhaps," he says, knocking on his armor. "But I've never been one for stealth."
The kuo-toa warrior seems unfazed by Kago's stare; indeed, he shifts a hair closer to the orc. His movements are unlike those of men or orcs. Or even goblins. Every gesture is alien.

Remove ads