OUT OF THE ABYSS Preorders Live

Both Amazon and Barnes & Noble both now allow you to pre-order Out of the Abyss for $49.96. Both have the already-confirmed release date of September 15th, 2015. Out of the Abyss is the seventh studio album released by the band Manilla Road. Oh, it's also the upcoming hardcover adventure, part of the Rage of Demons storyline, produced for WotC by Green Ronin. "The demon lords have been summoned from the Abyss and players must descend into the Underdark with the iconic hero Drizzt Do’Urden to stop the chaos before it threatens the surface." (thanks to Charles Akins for the scoop).

Both Amazon and Barnes & Noble both now allow you to pre-order Out of the Abyss for $49.96. Both have the already-confirmed release date of September 15th, 2015. Out of the Abyss is the seventh studio album released by the band Manilla Road. Oh, it's also the upcoming hardcover adventure, part of the Rage of Demons storyline, produced for WotC by Green Ronin. "The demon lords have been summoned from the Abyss and players must descend into the Underdark with the iconic hero Drizzt Do’Urden to stop the chaos before it threatens the surface." (thanks to Charles Akins for the scoop).

Dire Bare

Legend
No, Drizzt doesn't particularly feature in the RPG products. He'll mainly be in comics and other tie-in stuff.

They've already confirmed that the PCs will be the big heroes for the tabletop game, and that Drizzt plays a larger part in Sword Coast Legends.

Unless Paul doesn't read the threads he posts in, he already knows this. But, chooses to make the same ignorant complaint in multiple threads on the topic. Sigh.

I'm wary of this AP so here's why.

I think Drizzt's involvement is going to be more than Wizards is letting on, or the AP is going to be limited.

Really? WotC is being dishonest with us? WotC is trying to mislead us over something that will easily be demonstrated come September 15th? Really!?!?

No. Drizzt WILL appear in the adventure. He will NOT take center stage, or upstage the PCs. The story of the adventure will be tied to, but will not be identical to, the story of the next novel, Archmage. You will be able to enjoy Out of the Abyss without reading Archmage, and vice versa. I'll eat my keyboard if it is any different!

Ashran

Explorer
Really? WotC is being dishonest with us? WotC is trying to mislead us over something that will easily be demonstrated come September 15th? Really!?!?

No. Drizzt WILL appear in the adventure. He will NOT take center stage, or upstage the PCs. The story of the adventure will be tied to, but will not be identical to, the story of the next novel, Archmage. You will be able to enjoy Out of the Abyss without reading Archmage, and vice versa. I'll eat my keyboard if it is any different!

In case it is indeed any different, do you want salt and pepper for your culinary exercice ? :p

Imho, I think you are right, it would be a bit stupid for wotc to release an AP where the heroes are second strings... Wait and see, as they says :)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm wary of this AP so here's why.

I think Drizzt's involvement is going to be more than Wizards is letting on, or the AP is going to be limited.

Think about this for a moment. The AP is tied in with RAS's new novel coming out. They are not going to print an AP that has the PC's win the day, and then have a novel where Drizzt does the same thing. I think all this is going to be canon and a tie in to each other. I mean you can't have RAS write a novel involving mysterious adventurers (insert your own party), so I think either Drizzt is more involved or the AP is going to be based on things going on behind the scenes up to a certain point where Drizzt will step in and be the one who ultimately saves the day.

Depends. The novel can be about Drizzt dealing with Gromph (the Archmage of the title). In Sword Coast Legends the players can deal with Belaphoss, the balor on the cover. In the AP the PCs can deal with the demon lord Demogorgon, the one on the cover. It is all the same storyline, it is just that each deal with different elements of the storyline. Drizzt playing different roles on them.

Of course, WotC can screw it all up. It isn't like they are above mistakes.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Geez WotC...Not complaining here but we're just now finishing Lost Mines...tonight will be our 8th session, each session has averaged about 5 hours. So we're closing in on 40 hours of play from a 32 page adventure. And you have since released TWO 200+ page adventure paths. Not. Enough. Time. To. Game....

Obviously you don't game enough!

I mean, in my case I've run Lost Mines twice, all of Hoard and Rise once (and are halfway through running Hoard again), are three sessions into Princes and I've also managed to run about 15 Expeditions adventures and have 10 or so sessions of my Greyhawk homebrew campaign under my belt.

I really don't see what the problem is! ;)

For those interested in my schedule, it goes: Wednesday, 90 minutes of D&D Encounters. Friday, 3-4 hours of homebrew D&D (alternating with a Savage Worlds game I play in), Saturday, 2 hours of D&D AL (Princes) followed by 3 hours of D&D Expeditions. It's a bit silly...

Cheers!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Depends. The novel can be about Drizzt dealing with Gromph (the Archmage of the title). In Sword Coast Legends the players can deal with Belaphoss, the balor on the cover. In the AP the PCs can deal with the demon lord Demogorgon, the one on the cover. It is all the same storyline, it is just that each deal with different elements of the storyline. Drizzt playing different roles on them.

Of course, WotC can screw it all up. It isn't like they are above mistakes.

They're already doing that with the current seasons of AL: those adventures tie in the main AP, bit are not part of it. Drizzt will likely be mentioned or even appear...but his adventures are elsewhere. Seems legit; I might actually buy the novel to see the tie in, and I have not read any Drizzt novels so far.

April 7th (Elemental Evil) - September 15th (Out of the Abyss)
Seems like such a long time between releases. Yes, I know they are going release-lite with 5E but still seems a long time...to just get an adventure.
Thats so you actually have enough time to Play through Elemental Evil before the next one comes out.

Geez WotC...Not complaining here but we're just now finishing Lost Mines...tonight will be our 8th session, each session has averaged about 5 hours. So we're closing in on 40 hours of play from a 32 page adventure. And you have since released TWO 200+ page adventure paths. Not. Enough. Time. To. Game....

That's because you started Late. If you had started when they first came out you would probably already be in Princes of the Apocalypse. This is fine by the way. At 5 hour sessions assuming once a week and if you go right into princes after Lost Mines (Which is supported) You may finish before Out of the Abyss comes out.

Drizzt Do'Urden...? I have read what Wikipedia says about him but I have never read any of his books (or any other by R. A. Salvatore). Some people here like him and some other don't. Would anyone please tell me what is so cool about him? His involvement in this adventure wouldn't be an important factor for me but it is very cool to be able to go back to Menzoberranzan (not that it cant be done using the original AD&D boxes set, but the update to 5e is neat).

Drizzt Do'Urden...? I have read what Wikipedia says about him but I have never read any of his books (or any other by R. A. Salvatore). Some people here like him and some other don't. Would anyone please tell me what is so cool about him? His involvement in this adventure wouldn't be an important factor for me but it is very cool to be able to go back to Menzoberranzan (not that it cant be done using the original AD&D boxes set, but the update to 5e is neat).

Why not read one of the books?

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
He is an evil Drow that managed to escape his heritage and become a hero despite all the odds stacked against him. He's also a nearly supernaturally good fighter that stands up for the weak and innocent while fighting demons, dragons, and opposing the will of gods. He's also intelligent, introspective and brooding. He's got interesting friends and goes on interesting adventures.

Like most characters in stories, whether you like him or not is kind of a personal choice. I like him. Although, I find he is very often written as a Mary Sue character so I have to roll my eyes whenever Drizzt is written to literally be the best at EVERYTHING on the planet. Too many times during the novels you find that R.A. Salvatore writes that Drow are the best at everything. The best fighters in the world are Drow, the best Wizards in the world are Drow. Drow are the stealthiest of all the races. Drow children are better at sneaking than the best Thieves in the world. But among the Drow, Drizzt is considered the best of the Drow. He was their best fighter, he was the best at sneaking. He doesn't cast spells but(if I remember correctly) he seemed to have the aptitude for it and might have been the best Wizard ever if he had chosen that path.

I think a large amount of the backlash towards him is precisely for that reason. He is written often as a power fantasy. You get to look through his eyes during the novels and you get to experience what it's like to be the best of the best. But after a while, it can seem a little contrived.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads