D&D 5E Over the top one shot character suggestions?

Solipsomancer

First Post
Our DM is doing an anything goes one shot for 3 PCs with these parameters:

If everyone could make up a level 9 character with these characteristics.

Use one of the two enhanced arrays from the Rise of the Runelords campaign (15, 14, 14, 13, 12, 8 or 16, 14, 13, 12, 11, 8)

Otherwise go wild. You can multi-class, use feats, use any of the new options set forth in the various Unearthed Arcanas. No evil characters please.

Each character will start with one Very Rare, one Rare, and one Uncommon magic item.

I'm bit overwhelmed with the possibilities, so I thought I'd see what the board could suggest.

Thanks in advance, and let the atrocities begin!

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
Since is just one shot and you can grab anything, I would pick:
Staff of power
Amulet of health
Mitral plate

Yuan-ti pureblood
Fighter 1 (defensive fighting style)
Evoker 2
Lore bard 6

Str 11
Dex 13
Con 8 (19 with amulet)
Int 12+1
Wis 14
Cha 16+2 (asi 20)

Mitral armor let use plate without desadvantage in stealth and minimum str. With shield and staff of power is AC23
Lot of HP for a caster with amulet of health
Immunity to poison
Advantage in saves against any spell
+2 in your saves

20 charges from staff is more than enought for one shot, as evoker 2 you can aim the spells in anywhere without care for the party.
Focus all your own spells in utility, you're 8th lvl caster, heal, buff, counter spell, shield, dispell magic, find familiar, detect magic. Grab pass without trace as one of secret magic, maybe aura of vitality as the other.
Expertise in perception and stealth, many skill proficiency. Jack of all trade with counterspell and dispel magic is a nice boost, and cutting word.
You're basicly good in everything. Just don't lose your itens

Last edited:

Just a keepin' it simple fighting powerhouse...

Mountain Dwarf
Barbarian (Totem) 5 / Fighter (Champ) 4
HP: 91

Str: 20 (18 start & +2 ASI)
Con: 16
Dex: 14 (13 start & Resilient Feat)
Int: 8
Wis: 12
Cha: 11

Items: Dwarven Thrower (VR), +2 Shield (R), Winged Boots (U)

Get Partial Plate Armor for an AC of 22 with +2 shield.
Attack with the Dwarven Thrower is +12 to hit, +8 to damage (+10 when raging in melee).

Rage (3/long), Reckless Attack (adv in melee), Danger Sense (adv with most Dex saves), Bear Totem (resist all but psychic damage while raging), Extra Attack (2/action), Fast Movement (35' fly speed in boots), Defensive Fighting Style (+1 AC in armor) Second Wind (1d10+4/short), Action Surge (1/short), Champion (19-20 crits)

This warrior has good mobility, is hard to hit, can take tons of damage, can attack with short range throwing weapon while flying out of reach of melee, has excellent physical saves (Str, Con, Dex), hit's hard in combat with expanded crit range.

Last edited:

Yunru

Banned
Banned
A Warlock/Fighter/Sorcerer beam spammer works well, especially if you have a Rod of the Pact Keeper.

With the Warlock and Wizard UA even more so.

Solipsomancer

First Post
Thanks for the feedback. I went yuan ti pure blood devotion paladin 8 / hexblade warlock 1. Amulet of Health, Mithral plate, Staff of Power, Great Weapon Master feat. Another PC also had a Staff of Power. The vampire in the White Plume adventure in Yawning Portal went down in 2 rounds of single combat, so I had fun.

zaratan

First Post
Thanks for the feedback. I went yuan ti pure blood devotion paladin 8 / hexblade warlock 1. Amulet of Health, Mithral plate, Staff of Power, Great Weapon Master feat. Another PC also had a Staff of Power. The vampire in the White Plume adventure in Yawning Portal went down in 2 rounds of single combat, so I had fun.
Paladin with the aura is a really nice option. Did you knew you would play White Plume Montain? You're the only one with great weapon master?
Since you're using strenght to attack, why not pick gauntlet of ogre power instead of mithral plate?

Solipsomancer

First Post
I didn't know it was the White Plume adventure. I went Hexblade, so CHA was my attack stat.

Oddly enough, I took Sailor as a background, which got me the artifact trident. Too bad I couldn't use its necrotic attack on the vampire. Sacred Weapon plus Hexblade curse made short work of the vamp, just using a nonmagic bastard sword and Smites.

mellored

Legend
Aarakocra Archfey Warlock 7/rogue 2 with warcaster, greater invisibility, and booming blade.

Attack, cunning action to hide, then hover over someone's head waiting to OA them if they move.
Add chains invisible familiar, one with shadows, mask of many faces, deception and stealth expertise, and never let anyone see your true face.

RulesJD

First Post
Sub level 10, the most useful/powerful build for dungeon delves is:

Deep Gnome (for the Snerf Magic feat) Cleric 1/Abjuration Wizard+ with a Staff of Power (for Wall of Force).

Ritual spells + Guidance + Instantly rechargeable shield + Counterspell + Healing Word = you can solve everything on your own. Traps don't matter because of Unseen Servant + 10ft pole. Nondetection + Invisibility + Stealth Proficiency = you can't really be detected = ultimate scout.

Level 10+ the best dungeon delve class is Moon Druid because of summons + Elemental forms, up until the higher levels where Cleric/Abjur Wizard takes back over.

You won't be the damage dealer, but that's usually not the problem in dungeon delves. Don't need to fight a monster you put behind a WoF and bury in Mold Earth.

Remove ads