Overlords

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Originally posted by Hellcow:

Shouldn't Tiamat be added to the list? I am not sure whether or not she is a rajah by the book, but she is definitely an overlord and she is the embodiment of greed, arrogance and wrath of the dragons.

By the book, "rakshasa rajah" is essentially a title like "King of the Apes". It doesn't mean that the person in question IS a rakshasa, merely that they are served by rakshasa. As a result, when dealing with overlords who don't usually associate with rakshasa (which actually includes Dral Khatuur) it may make sense not to use the term rajah.

Dragons of Eberron never uses the term "rajah" for Tiamat, instead holding to "overlord". However, it notes that she has rakshasa among her followers, along with half-dragon rakshasa who often serve as intermediaries between the Talons of Tiamat and the Lords of Dust.

So it depends on exactly what the list is. The title of the thread is "Overlords" - and by canon, Tiamat is certainly an overlord.

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by lord_gore:

If the text doesn't make it clear, I suppose I'm to blame for that. But as the person who created Tul Oreshka, she's supposed to be the embodiment of the Lovecraftian concept of secrets man wasn't meant to know. On a mundane level, this could come to your every failure (both past and yet to come), the true thoughts of those you think to be your friends, the worst experiences in your life that you have supressed and forgotten to keep going... the things that are true but which we ignore and avoid in our everyday lives. On a less mundane level, this could be the way in which the Prophecy actually defines reality; the horror of what awaits you in Dolurrh; the fragile nature of the border between our world and, say, Xoriat; the true nature of time; what really WAS lurking in your closet when you were a child; and far worse things I can't even concieve of because I, Keith, am a mortal human. These aren't things that you as DM could just say "Oh, she explains the Prophecy to you", because the mortal human mind can't assimilate that knowledge; if she plants it in your head, revealing the true shape and form of reality, she will break your mind.

The vital point of the Overlords is that they aren't gods; they are the embodiments of terrifying things. Tul Oreshka isn't simply a goddess of knowledge; she is the embodiment of the knowledge you don't want to know, of truths that will drive you mad.

Then maybe we should drop her Darkness/Shadow domain and go with Knowledge and Madness: that way her lore would be maintained, as well as its insane effect on mortals.

To amend your list, Lord Gore, I do believe the Scar that Abides should have the Hatred domain too. The "scar that abides" refers to hatred itself, a seething, wallowing hatred that festers inside the soul, scabbing over into a loathing, brooding wrath that cannot be abated.
I agree with Tyranny as well, and I forget if there's a domain for Vengeance or not, but he should probably have it to.

I've replaced Fate with Hatred. Also, being reported as the most powerful Overlord, I was considering giving him 3 or more domains, like Dral Khatuur. I like the idea of him having Hatred, Time and Tyranny.
To my knowledge, there's no Vengeance domain but the closest call would be the Storm one.

Shouldn't Tiamat be added to the list?
by canon, Tiamat is certainly an overlord.

My bad: the spreadsheet I'm working on is a compilation of Lords of Dust only, so I neglected her.
She's been added to the list, along with the Corruption, Dragon, Greed and Pride domains. Enjoy!

@Ellorin: you stated
Katashka's depiction in Dragons of Eberron

I can't find any depiction of Katashka in that book. Only thing I found was the Harvest of Pain (p. 36)... What were you referring to?

@Hellcow: I was pondering about the possible Overlord imprisoned in the Tempest's Isle, Lhazaar Principalities. I can't reckon exactly where, but I read that an agent of the Lords of Dust was at the side of the explorer Lhazaar when he set sail for Khorvaire. Wouldn't that be a sort of affirmation that an Overlord lies there?
Furthermore, I didn't understand if you want to review the Overlords domains (like Rak Tulkhesh's Destruction domain changed to Hatred). If you do, I'll update the list on the first page accordingly.

A few minor corrections on the list on first page of the thread have been made, and here's the latest work in progress of the domain for each Overlord (official one are in black, my suggestions are in blue).
  • Bel Shalor the Shadow in the Flame OracleSC, ShadowECS
  • Dral Khatuur the Heart of Winter Death, ColdFb, WinterFbunpublished
  • Eldrantulku the Oathbreaker CorruptionBoVD, Trickery
  • Katashka the Gatekeeper DeathboundSC, UndeathECS
  • Rak Tulkhesh the Rage of War HatredSC(Destruction), War
  • Ran Iishiv the Unmaker Destruction, HatredSC
  • Sakinnirot the Scar that Abides HatredSC, TimeSC, TyrantCWar
  • Shudra the Fleshrender PainBoVD, SufferingSC
  • Sul Khatesh the Keeper of Secrets Knowledge, Magic
  • Tiamat the Daughter of Khyber Corruption, Dragon, Greed, Pride
  • Tul Oreshka the Truth in the Darkness Knowledge (ShadowECS), MadnessCDiv
  • Unnamed n/a
  • Unnamed n/a
  • Unnamed n/a possibly a rajah
  • Yad-Raghesh CorruptionBoVD, PestilenceSC "dead"

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by PJammaGod:

Hey Keith any word on whether you can post some info on Dral Khatuur at all? To be honest I've been working with this Rajah in my campaign in the background for some time. Dral is the endgame, the big-bad and source of all things nasty for nearly two years now. I've been noting the distinct weather changes (summer too cold, winter very bitter) amongst other elements. But having some raw crunchy goodness to give me an idea of how I should really field her would be awesome.

RealAlHazred

Hey Keith any word on whether you can post some info on Dral Khatuur at all?

I think I'll be able to post the piece on my website, but I'd still like to hear back from a few people.

@Ellorin: you stated Katashka's depiction in Dragons of Eberron... I can't find any depiction of Katashka in that book. Only thing I found was the Harvest of Pain (p. 36)... What were you referring to?

I think Ellorin is refering to page 6, which shows a battle between Katashka and Dularanahk.

@Hellcow: I was pondering about the possible Overlord imprisoned in the Tempest's Isle, Lhazaar Principalities. I can't reckon exactly where, but I read that an agent of the Lords of Dust was at the side of the explorer Lhazaar when he set sail for Khorvaire. Wouldn't that be a sort of affirmation that an Overlord lies there?

It's from "Eternal Evil": A hidden alliance of rakshasa and other fiends, the Lords of Dust have manipulated the world since the dawn of time. The rakshasa wove themselves into the tapestry of human civilization in its earliest days. When the explorer Lhazaar gathered her expedition for Khorvaire, there was a rakshasa adviser at her side.

The reference to the Lord of Dust traveling with Lhazaar isn't due to the presence of an Overlord in any particular location, but rather the fact that the Lords of Dust have been present and influenced many critical points of history. There were Lords of Dust hidden among the Dhakaani during the Daelkyr War. A Lord of Dust marched with Karrn the Conqueror. And so on. It's about the Prophecy. The Prophecy shows them the path the future must take in order to release an Overlord; the Prakhutu and their pawns work to bring about those events. This ties to the idea that the plans of the Lords of Dust can take thousands of years to bring about. Say, for example, that the Mourning was actually a side effect of the release of a rajah. Due to the Prophecy, the Prakhutu of this Overlord has known that his rajah would be released when a Khorvairian Kingdom of men ended a thousand years of peace by splitting into five nations and warring for a century... and only then when a vampire king clashed with a holy child, when the lifeless were given life (warforged), and so on, and so on. This meant that they knew that there had to BE a human kingdom on Khorvaire; that it had to have five easy pieces; that it had to last a thousand years; that there had to be a vampire king and a theocracy led by a little girl; and so on. So that rakshasa with Lhazaar was simply advancing the first step of a plot they new would take thousands of years to come to fruition. If you wanted to get truly conspiratorial about it, you could say that Bel Shalor intentionally held back, allowing himself to be defeated by Tira, because this led directly to the creation of the modern Church of the Silver Flame, which led to the theocracy in Thrane, which led to Jaela becoming Keeper, and so on. For Bel Shalor to make such a sacrifice, there'd have to be a truly impressive end goal - perhaps the ultimate destruction of the Silver Flame and release of ALL the Overlords - but it's the way they work. They are immortal, and their plans stretch out over millennia. Entire civilizations are pawns to them.

This is the whole trick of the Lords of Dust. If they're so powerful, why don't they just conquer the world? Because they have no interest in ruling the world. As far as they are concerned, they already rule the world. What they want is to release the Overlords - and that's something that can only be done by guiding history down a specific path. Actually openly conquering the world would guide it down a different path... and ruling a bunch of short-lived monkeys just isn't that exciting for them.

(Of course, if that's the story you want, you could decide that Rak Tulkhesh will be released when his servants DO physically conquer the world. But as it stands, the idea of the LoD is that they are the ultimate manipulators - and that they have been pulling strings long before humans came to Khorvaire, or before human civilization even existed.) 

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by Madfox11:

Of course, the Lords of Dust are also opposed by the dragons of Argonessen, who are just as knowledgeable on the Prophecy as they are and just as good at manipulating people.

Personally I always really disliked it in stories when no matter what the heroes do, they do it wrong*. I am playing Eberron here, not Call of Cthulhu ;) That is a personal preference though, and I am sure that just because the Lords of Dust believe they rule the world and everything happens as planned, in reality it is not the case.

* It is one of the things that really irritated me by the end of the Dark Knight. Great movie, but how much planning can go off exactly as planned? How smart can a person be? How many coincidences take place? ;)

RealAlHazred

Originally posted by lord_gore:

I think Ellorin is referring to page 6, which shows a battle between Katashka and Dularanahk.

D'oh! I dunno why but I totally missed that depiction!
Anyway, thanks for the tip.

The reference to the Lord of Dust traveling with Lhazaar isn't due to the presence of an Overlord in any particular location, but rather the fact that the Lords of Dust have been present and influenced many critical points of history.

Ok, I just thought that it sounded like that particular LoD wanted to brings some humans under the Overlord's direct influence while letting them discover and settle in a new continent. That could have been the case as well...

the Lords of Dust belief they rule the world and everything happens as planned

I don't think that either the Dragons or the Lords of Dust are THAT keen in unfolding the Prophecy as they deem fit. They TRY to manipulate it, but in most cases there are so many requirements for a prophecy to come into being or into being voided that they need hundreds or thousands of coincidences to set an Overlord free, and not all of them are guided, some happen by chance, just as they fail by chance...

On another note, a prophet or a loremaster close to the heroes could warn them of the impending probability of a passage to come into being and they just step into the fray and battle their way to "safety" from that prophesied catastrophic event.

Furthermore, I think that the Prophecy has its way, unbeknownst to mortals, and the events might be postponed but not voided (much like Judgment Day from the Terminator series) and thus the heroes are only delaying the inevitable. This could explain the patience of the Lords of Dust or the madness/fury of Zenobaal, for they seem to know how it ends (Armageddon? Ragnarok? Creation collapsing onto itself and rebirthing itself anew?). There are so many possibilities...

[off topic]

My heroes encountered by chance the greatest aboleth settlement of Eberron. Having successfully bested them all, they plundered their ages-long hoard and retrieved two particularly interesting rewards: one was an Altar of Transmutation (eldritch device) while the other was the Heart of the Aboleths (artifact).

Seeking an explanation on what was the artifact's function, they discovered that the aboleths weren't from this creation. They were a race of a now lost creation, which abruptly came to an end. Having foresaw the impending doom, they reunited themselves and slew their own god, sacrificing its power to escape that impending extinction and to travel to a safer creation (Eberron's).

[/off topic]

So, as you can see, I've introduced something like Moorcock's Multiverse: it's on many layers, through time and space and with a a constant: the Prophecy, that rules the balance of Multiverse, allowing for the various creations to be given birth, live and die, just like everything and also preventing different universes to eat each other.

But this is known only to the greatest being (namely immortal beings, demigods and gods), while the less powerful being can only see the smallest effects of the Prophecy within their small world, not on a planar or universal scale.

In my opinion, both the Overlords and the mightiest Dragons know that this creation will come to an end and they just try to delay it, ruin it or rule it (depending on their personal viewpoint). Exceptional beings can rise to godhood and escape their fate, others simply cannot: they will just die when their time will come.

Of course, this is the explanation I've come up with. Yours will surely be different, taking into account different factors.

Hell, it could even be possible for the Prophecy to die! Just imagine the Underverse from the Chronicles of Riddick: what if the Negative Energy that permeates it found a way to subvert or taint an universe or, even worse, the Prophecy itself?

Just my 2 cents.

RealAlHazred

Personally I always really disliked it in stories when no matter what the heroes do, they do it wrong*. I am playing Eberron here, not Call of Cthulhu ;) That is a personal preference though, and I am sure that just because the Lords of Dust believe they rule the world and everything happens as planned, in reality it is not the case.

Exactly. The Lords of Dust are exactly as capable as you want them to be in your game. If they aren't the major villains of your game, they can be far less influential and powerful than they believe, and their failure to release an overlord can be not due to having to wait so long for the stars to be right, but rather because they've just screwed up or been defeated. They can be just as flawed or fallible as any other creature.

Even if they ARE as brilliant as they can be, as you say, they are playing their game with other creatures that are just as brilliant and powerful - the Chamber, the Undying Court - and they won't come out ahead every time. Beyond that, the LoD are not a monolithic organization, and the Prakhutu of Katashka may end up helping the PCs against the Prakhutu of Rak Tulkhesh, because their goals clash. The PCs may be pawns in this huge game, but they are also the heroes of the age, and they may break the rules - doing things none of these ancient masterminds ever expected. 

On the other hand, let's say that your campaign is about the release of an Overlord. You've got it planned out, and that's the Epic arc you want to have happen. PCs will grow in power, encounter the LoD a few times along the way, and eventually the Overlord gets released and they fight it. This is what you WANT to happen, so you don't want the PCs to be able to spoil events while still in heroic tier. But you also don't want them to lose fights whenever they run into the LoD. Which leaves a range of options.

Losing may in fact part of the LoD's plans. It's part of the Prophecy. The Sword NEEDS to be drawn from the Stone before Rak Tulkhesh can rise again. The LoD only opposes the PC to set him on the right path. The key point here is "Whatever the heroes do, they do it wrong". This should never be the case. In this scenario, the LoD might be, say, about to sacrifice a village full of peasants. Fighting him and saving those peasants is exactly the right thing to do. Taking that magic artifact sword from him is simply common sense. It turns out that getting that artifact sword into your hands was his goal. But you did the right thing. You saved innocents from peril. That sword will let you defeat the daelkyr who would destroy the world himself if you didn't stop him. The fact that there are unforeseen long-term consequences is something you'll deal with when the time comes, and hopefully you will triumph there too. You never did anything WRONG; it just turns out that your victory was part of their plans.

Alternately, the LoD can just plain lose, but they have back-up plans. You've defeated them here, so they need to do something else over to attain the objective, and they've already figured out what that is. You may get to face them again when they do... or you may simply read about how the Royal Graveyard of Wroat was plundered in the latest issue of the Korranberg Chronicle, and later realize that this happened because you stopped the LoD from plundering the Thronehold Crypt.

This is a way to look at the defeat of Bel Shalor by Tira Miron. It could be exactly what it seems; Bel Shalor was released and Tira & the Flame smacked him down. Or it could be that this apparent defeat was part of the plan all along; that the creation of the Church of the Silver Flame - with Bel Shalor able to whisper to its members - was part of a much longer-term scheme. That's the "Defeat was the plan" version; the "backup plan" version is that Bel Shalor never expected to be defeated, but had the lingering-in-the-Flame scheme as a safety net just in case. In either case, Tira Miron did nothing wrong. She saved Thrane, if not Khorvaire itself. She laid the foundation for an organization that has done tremendous good over the centuries. Perhaps the LoD had prepared for their defeat; perhaps it was even part of their plans. But leaving BS to roam free would have been far, far worse.

The main thing to me is that Eberron has a lot of evil masterminds, and I like plots with them to have a different flavor; dealing with the Aurum, the Dreaming Dark, and the Lords of Dust should all be very different. The Aurum, while powerful, are the simplest of these. They are mortals, just like you. They may be as brilliant as any mortal can be, but they can only plot so far ahead. They can't plan for every contingency, and things may simply go wrong. Whereas in my game, the Lords of Dust are the ultimate schemers. They've been planning things not just before you were born, but before your race even existed. They understand the nature of reality on a level you do not. They have entire families they've bred or villages they've established solely for the purpose of this one scenario - they've been waiting a thousand years for this particular piece of the puzzle to finally come together. The LoD on the scene is not only ready to be defeated, he's ready to die - because he knows he will return.

To me, this also comes to Indiana Jones and Belloq. The PCs are the heroes. But it's OK for heroes to lose occasionally - as long as this leads them to greater victory in the end. Perhaps the LoD do trick the PCs or cheat them. Perhaps they only realize later that their patron was a rakshasa. The key is that in the end their ingenuity will allow them to foil the schemes of the immortals... for another thousand years, at least.

It is one of the things that really irritated me by the end of the Dark Knight. Great movie, but how much planning can go off exactly as planned? How smart can a person be? How many coincidences take place? ;)

Well, bear in mind that when you're dealing with LoD, you're dealing with immortal shapeshifting mindreading wizards with a sneak peek at the future. When dealing with them, few things should BE coincidence. If you get into a airship chase with an LoD, it MAY be that they already know they're going to lose. But it may also be that for the last 200 years they've had a family of pawns in place in the local watch because they knew that there was a chance that they'd end up in jail, and that when it appears the watch officer does something stupid that results in the guy escaping, it's actually intentional on his part because he's been preparing for the Joker to be tossed in his prison since the day he was born, and in fact someone stopped by earlier in the week to remind him the time was coming.

I'm just saying that for the Aurum it would be an amazing coincidence; for the LoD, it may all be part of a plan, because they've had the time, power, and resources to plan on that level.

But again... that's all if you WANT that. They are the force in the world that logically CAN have that power. But if you don't like it? Play up the arrogance. Play down the influence. They can be just as flawed as any human.

Remove ads