overpowered?

Butholios

First Post
??

Does it just extend for one round, or pop out and stay out?

If it stays out, your character is threatening all sorts of squares, and with Combat Reflexes and high Dex it's potentially destructive.

If it just shoots out and comes back, then no big whup.

alsih2o

First Post
shoots out and returns, like a chinese yo-yo :)

and either way i think it only threatens as many squares as a standard longspear, cause the middle part ain't all that scary, it's the pointy end you gotta watch for!

William Ronald

Explorer
Remember, the spear can be damaged if it activates a trap. So, the party may have to think about using it instead of a rogue or a find traps spell.

Also, the owners might want the device back.

As for the portable altar, I would just have said that the quick expansion on a non flat surface would cause it to topple to the floor. Tell the cleric to have some guts and use a harm spell.

;)

trimeulose

First Post
What STR bonus does the thing have vs ramming (i.e. if I used the extension velocity of the item to propell open a door how much of a bonus would I get?)

Next issue, This powergaming? Listen I don't care if you go exactly by the books or if your a horrible DM that wants to kill his players. When players want to power game they will. They will somehow find a way to gain some sort of advantage over everyone else. At least if they are good players they will. That's the whole idea behind being an awesome (as in unstoppable, collosus ect) type of player, finding a loophole or a balancing issue and using it to your advantage. even curses can be benificial if the PC can find a way to use it. Your longsword deals subdual damage??? awesome we can kidnap the bad guy and then ransom him.

Your Item is in no way power gaming in my opinion unless it has the ability smite other 12x a day this spear can get +50 to attack and damage when being used for a melee attack.

Kibo

Banned
Banned
I think I saw that movie.

I think it's a cool idea. And a staple of wu xia martial arts movies :) Very cool. In the hands of Jackie Chan that item could lay whole armies low. And I would most certainly worry about more than just the pointy part :) In the hands of the right character with the right feats you could very well have your own little epic Once Upon A Time In China. One of your PC's wasn't a stone monkey statue, on the mountain of flowers and fruit, brought to life by a lightning bolt perchance?

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Obscurity Check

Specifically with the monkey statue, the legend of Sun Wu Kong, the magical monkey king. You can see none too subtle echos of his tall tale(s) in Dragon Ball, he had an iron staff that could extend on command (among other similarities to the Dragon Ball cartoon), there was also a horrible perversion called Magic Monkey (Of course I'm just talking about the US here) which the localization for pretty much ruined. The idea of an extending spear or staff, and similar weapons are found in high fantasy kung fu epics. I think the old oriental adventures source book had something about that (extending weapon) too. I wonder if they have a true wu xia type source book. Hmm.

Remove ads