• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Owlbears are Fey?!? Cold Iron is gone?

GreyWanderer

First Post
I always thought Owlbears were the result of some demented wizard or druid - who didn't live very long afterward!

Now they are Fey - what sence does that make? Also - Fey are no longer effected by Cold Iron?

Grey

Shroomy

Adventurer
I don't know, having owlbears originate in the Feywild (they're not necessarily fey per se) makes more sense to me than even a crazy wizard crossing a bear with an owl.

There is no more DR in 4e, so other than silvered weapons, a golfbag full of swords forged from different metals is no longer needed.

Amadeus Windfall

First Post
sinecure said:
Cold Iron rules aren't "Fun".

They have been removed for your gaming pleasure.

Yup, sounds right to me. No longer do we need to worry about not being able to kill something with our +6 thundering bastard swords because they're made out of normal metal.

As for owlbears, I smiled when I saw they were fey now. It makes much more sense as an origin than for them to all be the result of magic experiments.

Last edited:

Nikolai II

First Post
Amadeus Windfall said:
As for owlbears, I smiled when I saw they were fey now. It makes much more sense as an origin than for them to all be the result of magic experiments.

Yep. Now they are the result of crazy Eladrin/Fomorian experiments instead ;)

ZetaStriker

First Post
I still like the flavor of iron being a weakness to the Fey... but I did think 3E handled it horribly. I think iron should interfere with Fey powers, such as the Eladrin Fey Step and the various charms they use. An iron weapon can cleave through their illusions, an iron helm protects your mind, bonds of iron restrict a teleport... I'll probably add a unique feature to the Feywild that causes its natural energies to erode iron to dust within a relatively short amount of time though, due to the greater concentration of the conflicting energy in that realm.

Remove ads