Own-country shipping only?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You see a lot of this on eBay or places like EN World's own marketplace. I'm curious as to why people would only be willing to ship within their own country, given that the buyer would have already paid whatever the postage is (even if that is much higher) and that postal services will do the actual 'shipping' part of it for them.

Is the physical process for overseas shipping different to domestic shipping in some countries, making the former more effort than the latter? Or is there some other risk factor I'm overlooking?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
In the US I have to fill out Custom papers to ship overseas and it is generally a more detailed process. I have had it where the price I get quoted and charge someone and then the actual price to ship it are very different numbers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Ah, so it sounds like that's at least one country where the two processes are different.

The times I've shipped stuff overseas (not often, admittedly) the process has been identical to shipping locally. I've never had to fill out a customs form, and the price has always been exactly what's quoted.

That definitely explains why some folks do it though! Totally makes sense! Any other countries care to share their experiences?

Lindeloef

First Post
Germany here, with shipping inside the EU, I never had problems. It was the same as normal post.
I don't have any Input on shipping oversea or something like that.

ghostcat

First Post
Ah, so it sounds like that's at least one country where the two processes are different.

The times I've shipped stuff overseas (not often, admittedly) the process has been identical to shipping locally. I've never had to fill out a customs form, and the price has always been exactly what's quoted.

That definitely explains why some folks do it though! Totally makes sense! Any other countries care to share their experiences?

Is this shipping inside the EU. When I have stuff shipped from the UK to the Canaries (which is outside the European Economic Zone) you definitely need a customs form.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is this shipping inside the EU. When I have stuff shipped from the UK to the Canaries (which is outside the European Economic Zone) you definitely need a customs form.

No, I've sent stuff all over the place - US, Australia, even Japan. Never had to do that. Maybe the post office person does it for me without me knowing? Dunno.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
I've seen comments on eBay auctions saying that the seller will ship anywhere but to Italy -- where the Customs service is well-known to simply seize certain categories of items and never notify the sender. (Was it guitars? Something like that.)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've seen comments on eBay auctions saying that the seller will ship anywhere but to Italy -- where the Customs service is well-known to simply seize certain categories of items and never notify the sender. (Was it guitars? Something like that.)

Really? Wow. That's awful!

Crothian

First Post
Last time I sent to Italy I was told by my Postmaster that they are one of the countries that there is no guarantee of the package getting there no matter what we do on this end. The package I sent there did get there but it took a few weeks longer then expected and the person who received it said the package was not in it's original box.

Ell-Egypto

Explorer
as a long time ebay seller, let me say that getting a satisfactory transaction to overseas is hit-or-miss at best,
and just gambling at its worst.

And the buyer is under no obligation to be understanding about any delays or problems.
You can show him the receipt, "prove" that you mailed the item,
and they don't care, and ding your seller reputation because "you ripped them off"

The best way to get something to overseas is Fed-Ex,
but the buyers don't want to pay an extra 75$-120$ to get their stuff.

Supposedly ebay now has consolidated shipping hubs where you send to a us location,
then a 3rd party gets the items to italy for you, but I havent seen it yet.

Remove ads