• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

P90x

Matchstick

Adventurer
Whatever your feelings are about the yoga workout, P90x is a great program.

The combination of strength, cardio, and stretch make it very well rounded and maintainable...after having just finished Insanity...not maintainable, too hard on the body.

I encourage anyone interested in getting fit to try it, even without the diet, you'll likely be in much better shape than you've ever been before.

I've recently dropped about 50 pounds and now that I feel I have better dietary habits I'd like to work on strength and overall body fitness. I've seen P90x, and even saw this thread earlier before it dropped off, but I'm worried that my current level of fitness (which is low I think) won't work to even start. I'm also concerned about my joints. Is P90x really hard on the joints?

I might be able to get myself up in the mornings to do the workout. I think it would have to be the mornings though.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Matchstick said:
I'm worried that my current level of fitness (which is low I think) won't work to even start. I'm also concerned about my joints. Is P90x really hard on the joints?
First: Not to come across as melodramatic, but P90X isn't about getting just fit -- it's about getting like super fit. Really, it is extreme.

But, one of the good things about it is that many of the workouts aren't undoable at a low-level of beginning fitness. You might only be able to do 6 reps of the exercise, while the people on TV are doing 25. I'd suggest doing the fit test before investing, if you have any doubts:
http://www.beachbody.com/text/products/programs/p90x/p90xFitTest.pdf

Here's how I did with my beginning fit test:
Total Bullgrit
Note there were a couple of the tests I didn't "pass" before I began the program.

But but, there are some exercises that can be hard on the joints. Plyometrics (jump training) comes to mind. *I am not a doctor,* but I think unless you have some kind of damage/injury to your joints, you should be ok with the exercises if you do them properly.

I wouldn't suggest P90X unless you are interested in going into something hardcore. If you aren't willing to push yourself, and keep it up for weeks on end, it's a waste. I've learned of at least three people I know who have started the regimen, but didn't complete it.

Bullgrit

jcayer

Explorer
I wouldn't worry all that much about your current fitness level. If you watch the current infomercial, they've had some pretty unfit people try it. When I started, I was certainly not in the shape I thought I should be.

Throughout, Tony constantly talks about adapting the exercise. For instance, during Plyometrics, there is someone doing it at low impact so you can see a less intense version.

There are lots of push ups, don't be macho, do some regular and when you can't do those anymore, get on your knees. He also stresses taking little breaks. A lot of times, they give you a minute or even more for an exercise. I'll push hard and get most of my numbers in the first 30 seconds. Take 10 or 15 seconds to catch my breath, and then crank out 2 or 3 or 4 more reps.

It really is what you make of it. It is just as much mental as it is physical. And I will tell you now, if you try it, the first 2 days will absolutely wreck you. No matter how crappy you feel, do the 3rd and 4th days, you'll be happy you did and will keep it up. Don't quit. Post here, Bullgrit and I will keep you going.

Matchstick

Adventurer
I'm really leaning toward trying it for sure. Right now I'm getting some analysis done on my shoulder, where I think I have a rotator cuff problem. Once I get that out of the way I think I'm heading toward trying P90x or something like it.

I really want to keep the positive momentum that started with my weight loss going. I'm trying very hard to make some positive changes for myself, not that my life was even close to bad before, but if I can be better, why not?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I've watched the P90x vids for a few years now and come so close to getting in on it. I've never been truly let go, but I miss being that fit. But I worry about the cost of the program plus the cost of the equipment. The equipment more so.

Joker

First Post
I've watched the P90x vids for a few years now and come so close to getting in on it. I've never been truly let go, but I miss being that fit. But I worry about the cost of the program plus the cost of the equipment. The equipment more so.

There is nothing the program does for you that you can't do with regular body-weight exercises and a pull up bar alongside a strict diet. All it requires is determination and perseverance.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
There is nothing the program does for you that you can't do with regular body-weight exercises and a pull up bar alongside a strict diet.
Well, for me, the program gave me the guidance, instruction, and an exact routine (exercise and diet) to follow. There is a big difference and gap between:

"Go to the gym and workout regularly, and eventually you'll get in shape."

vs.

"Here are the exact exercises to do, how to do them, in this order, with this regularity, and you'll get in shape in 90 days." (And your coach does them with you every time you play the DVD.)

I needed the exact guidance and push. Some people can do it with a "just go to the gym" goal. I can't/couldn't. I kind of get lost and slow at the gym.

Eric Anondson said:
But I worry about the cost of the program plus the cost of the equipment. The equipment more so.
Depending on a person's financial situation, the cost of equipment can be a barrier or not. For me, I got my pull-up bar, dumbbell weights (bought as 1 or 2 pairs at a time over weeks), and floor mat from Target or Walmart. (They might be even cheaper at a second-hand store.) And that's really all the equipment I need.

Bullgrit

Last edited:

Joker

First Post
Well, for me, the program gave me the guidance, instruction, and an exact routine (exercise and diet) to follow. There is a big difference and gap between:

I should have nuanced my statement. The structure provided by the P90x program is one of its greatest strengths.
I'm saying, however, that if you can create a schedule for yourself that you adhere to, getting yourself into shape and beyond costs next to nothing but time and effort. Except of course, money to buy high fibre/protein/complex carb food and the proper amount vitamins and minerals.

By the way. You can't call yourself truly hardcore until you have passed the Warrior Test:

500 bodyweight squats in 15 minutes.
100 push-ups.
20 pull-ups.
15 one legged squats per leg.
50 finger push-ups.
15 handstand push-ups.
5 minute plank.
30 second rest between exercises.

Enjoy :D.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Joker said:
Except of course, money to buy high fibre/protein/complex carb food and the proper amount vitamins and minerals.
Specialty food/supplements are not necessary. All my food comes from a normal grocery store. I eat normal food; I just make better choices on what I eat. The proper fiber/protein/carbs can be found in normal, inexpensive food.

Bullgrit

Joker

First Post
Specialty food/supplements are not necessary. All my food comes from a normal grocery store. I eat normal food; I just make better choices on what I eat. The proper fiber/protein/carbs can be found in normal, inexpensive food.

Bullgrit

Same here. But I need more of it. I am now eating about twice as much as I did before I exercised while maintaining the same weight.

Remove ads