• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo Adventure Path Subscription Stinker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kishin

First Post
I appreciate all the replies to my original post, in particular that from the gentleman from Paizo.

My perspective is this: I subscribed to what is advertised as a monthly publication. I expect to receive one issue a month, every month. I hear you that you have had issues -- those are your issues, not mine. It is not common practice among publishers who offer subscription services to require subscribers to monitor emails, message boards, etc. in order to ensure that a monthly publication is indeed received monthly. Had I subscribed to what was advertised as an "irregularly published" magazine, I'd not be posting about my experience here.

My purpose is solely to relate an experience that I consider unsatisfactory so that other people may be aware of it. In my original post I do not disparage Paizo, and do not suggest that other people emulate my decision. I expressed an opinion (which I described as such) about a behavior, and suggested a motive for that behavior.

I request that further discussion focus on the behavior rather than me, my posts, or Paizo's reputation in general.

The behavior was explained in a lengthy post by James Jacobs himself. You were even offered a means by which to correct the error and receive reimbursement. Instead, you chose to make another post demonstrating no small amount of condescension. The above language very much comes off as something born of an entitlement complex.

Essentially, James offered a resolution to your problem (Which, IMO is indicative of pretty good customer service when the editor of the magazine you are complaining about decides to reply to your grievances openly on a public forum, offering explanation and compensation) and you threw it back in his face with utterances like 'Your problem, not mine" and "I don't expect to have to check updates sent to me about the dispensation of my subscription to know what is happening with my subscription'. Sorry, sounds like poor form on your part.

renau1g

First Post
I find that Paizo has been historically great with their customer service so I'd just call them and see what you can work out.

I wish I was interested in Pathfinder, but I (personally) enjoy 4e so I'll miss the Paizo adventures (Note: please don't comment on my edition preference)

crazy_cat

Adventurer
The behavior was explained in a lengthy post by James Jacobs himself. You were even offered a means by which to correct the error and receive reimbursement. Instead, you chose to make another post demonstrating no small amount of condescension. The above language very much comes off as something born of an entitlement complex.

Essentially, James offered a resolution to your problem (Which, IMO is indicative of pretty good customer service when the editor of the magazine you are complaining about decides to reply to your grievances openly on a public forum, offering explanation and compensation) and you threw it back in his face with utterances like 'Your problem, not mine" and "I don't expect to have to check updates sent to me about the dispensation of my subscription to know what is happening with my subscription'. Sorry, sounds like poor form on your part.
Agreed. Personally I've always found Paizos customer service to be outstanding.

Obryn

Hero
I think Paizo is a heck of a great company. I admire what they've managed to build, and really their production values are right up there with any first-party RPG publisher.

Their customer service is outstanding, and the fact that I can download PDFs of the books I've purchased is ... well, it's dreamy, and I love it, and I want to have its babies.

Although it's disappointing there's no web interface to cancel, when I cancelled my Pathfinder subscription at the end of Rise of the Runelords, their response was quick and professional.

Cedin - give them a chance to make things right. No company is perfect, but I think they have responded very well so far. It'd be wonderful if every company just did exactly what you wanted. That doesn't happen often, so take solace in the fact that there are companies who may not do exactly what you want all the time, but who are willing to do right by you when they miss the mark.

On a personal note... I'm not really sold on the Pathfinder line as of yet, and they'd need to tweak 3.5 more than their fans would probably allow in order for me to really hop back onto that bandwagon with both feet. :) I've also gotten disenchanted with the adventure path concept, which is a shame. I'll likely get the main Pathfinder rulebook, though, whether or not I actually play it, so long as the price is right. They're a good company to do business with.

So yeah. They're a great company who puts out high-quality products I'm just less interested in nowadays. :)

-O

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
I appreciate all the replies to my original post, in particular that from the gentleman from Paizo.

My perspective is this: I subscribed to what is advertised as a monthly publication. I expect to receive one issue a month, every month. I hear you that you have had issues -- those are your issues, not mine. It is not common practice among publishers who offer subscription services to require subscribers to monitor emails, message boards, etc. in order to ensure that a monthly publication is indeed received monthly. Had I subscribed to what was advertised as an "irregularly published" magazine, I'd not be posting about my experience here.

My purpose is solely to relate an experience that I consider unsatisfactory so that other people may be aware of it. In my original post I do not disparage Paizo, and do not suggest that other people emulate my decision. I expressed an opinion (which I described as such) about a behavior, and suggested a motive for that behavior.

I request that further discussion focus on the behavior rather than me, my posts, or Paizo's reputation in general.

Like Mark Hope said, did you contact Paizo's customer service?

rkwoodard

First Post
what type of warning?

But I was surprised and annoyed to get an email that I was being shipped the first adventure from the next path and charged for it, without warning. I think it would have been better practice to at least give a warning, so subscribers could have the option of telling Paizo they wanted to cancel before getting charged for two adventures if you only wanted to finish out the current adventure path.

So you do not consider the email a sufficent warning? What type of warning would you have preferred?

RK

It is not common practice among publishers who offer subscription services to require subscribers to monitor emails, message boards, etc. in order to ensure that a monthly publication is indeed received monthly.

True; most subscription services (of which I have been party to several) give you no notice whatsoever before the items show up on your doorstep. Paizo's "we're going to ship issue X soon" e-mail is pure courtesy, and a golden opportunity (though I have never felt it necessary to use it) to alter the order, if necessary.

In my experience, the transparency at Paizo is second to none, and one of their head guys has offered to do right by you. Why not take him up on it?

Cedin

First Post
I informed Paizo customer service that I was unhappy with the double shipment, and cancelled my subscription. Their response came the next business day, and the customer service rep offered the possibility of a refund for issue #13, the issue that I don't want.

I've not yet taken them up on this, as I've not physically received the shipment -- I travel a lot, and haven't been home since this has transpired.

For me (my final comment on this thread) the nature of this subscription publication is unsuitable, and so I've discontinued it. I believe that Paizo is fortunate to have so many folks who appreciate its products and style of customer support.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
For me (my final comment on this thread) the nature of this subscription publication is unsuitable, and so I've discontinued it. I believe that Paizo is fortunate to have so many folks who appreciate its products and style of customer support.

Fortunate, nothing. Having been a subscriber to Dungeon through the Polyhedron controversy and Paizo's efforts to make things better, as far as I'm concerned they've earned a lot of appreciation.

essentially, james offered a resolution to your problem (which, imo is indicative of pretty good customer service when the editor of the magazine you are complaining about decides to reply to your grievances openly on a public forum, offering explanation and compensation) and you threw it back in his face with utterances like 'your problem, not mine" and "i don't expect to have to check updates sent to me about the dispensation of my subscription to know what is happening with my subscription'. Sorry, sounds like poor form on your part.

qft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads