Paizo Paizo-Con Stream Write Ups

I made some write ups on various panels from the con this past weekend. The Book of the Dead was announced, as was the new cover of Guns & Gears (which includes the gunslinger and inventor classes) and the new adventure path, Quest for the Frozen Flame. Paizocon Keynote Writeup Behind the Pages: Secrets of Magic Know Direction Interview: Logan Bonner Secrets of Golarion Panel Write Up Tales...

I made some write ups on various panels from the con this past weekend. The Book of the Dead was announced, as was the new cover of Guns & Gears (which includes the gunslinger and inventor classes) and the new adventure path, Quest for the Frozen Flame.

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.35.23 AM.png

Also, someone on Reddit mentioned planning to archive all the info gleaned from Discord Chat before it goes down, there was a fair amount of that too, I'll see if I can get that into in this post too when it shows up, but there's a lot of information already in these links as is. So much great stuff coming in the upcoming books!

Edit: Here's Ezekieru's Compilation of Discord Spoilers btw

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.32.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.33.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.33.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-01 at 10.38.06 AM.png

coriolis

Explorer
Curious to see what they will do with the Gunslinger in PF2E.
The PF1E Gunslinger had so many issues it's hard to know where to start. I feel the core issue is trying to give first class treatment to what is essentially a specialized ranged weapon class. Gunslinger would probably work better as a PF2E archetype than as a class, but making the Gunslinger a standalone class is obviously better for marketing purposes. Unfortunately I feel like this puts it in an uncomfortable design space.
You can see what Paizo did for yourself, as the playtest version is freely available, and it was very well received by the community. In summary: they follow the fighter's proficiency curve, making them the second class that can reach legendary proficiency with weapons. However, unlike the plethora of fighter feats that provide or improve combat maneuvers, the gunslinger focuses on class feats that provide utility, like using the hot barrel of a gun to quickly cauterize a wound, or using the recoil to improve a jump. In my view, that puts them right between fighters and the other martials in terms of power level, but the small chance of misfire does help bring them back in line with the other martials.

Remove ads

Remove ads