Paizo New Product Announcements

Lwaxy

Cute but dangerous
Not so thrilled with the Prestige class book. There are already tons of class options when you throw in the alternate class abilities from the splat books.

From a GM's perspective, that's 30 new class power sets that will need scrutiny when player X wants to bring in their potential game-breaking combo that they've discovered.

Totally agreed. With the existing archetypes and all the 3.5 stuff to convert we don't need no more classes, prestige classes, feats...

Likely some cool stuff in there, but I hope after this they stop with the character options for a long while.

BryonD

Hero
Not so thrilled with the Prestige class book. There are already tons of class options when you throw in the alternate class abilities from the splat books.

From a GM's perspective, that's 30 new class power sets that will need scrutiny when player X wants to bring in their potential game-breaking combo that they've discovered.
I think they are very fixated on this, however. If anything they shy away form power creep to the point that a fair amount of their options become decidedly sub-optimal. (Which isn't to say things don't still slip through).

I'm interested in this book NOT because it is new PClasses as, like everyone else, I'm set for life there, but because it is a specifically Golarion based. And they have shown a solid ability to keep building on the flavor there.

We will see.

All in all their mechanical products have been incrementally stepping down in quality while their setting stuff has held steady. I guess we need to see which pattern this one hold true to. :)

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
While I can't say the PrC being created by Paizo won't be leery power options, PrC do not have to be power option sets, depending on how they are designed. Though I myself am not generally a fan of PrC, all of my Kaidan faction supplements contain a few PrC.

In my Way of the Yakuza book, there is a prestige class for a Yakuza boss, who gets a few additional Sneak Attack progression, a set of unique arcane yakuza tattoos, a cut of the yakuza gang's income and some diplomacy enhancements as the leader of the red light district. While the tattoos are the coolest power feature, most of his abilities are 'flavor' based that fit a crime syndicate styled game, and of itself is not a mix of high powered features. They are options only.

In my soon to published Way of the Samurai there are two PrC options. One is a Bugyo, a samurai PrC with an emphasis on administration, diplomacy, tea ceremony, and scholarly talents versus a purely martial one - something like a court samurai. The other PrC is a Mosa, a frontline fighter with special talents for bodyguard duties, special challenge abilities (like samurai/cavalier), and DR.

Prestige classes don't have to be unbalanced power features. Mine are mostly flavor options for specific kinds of character concepts, with a few power enhancements for specific options only - corner case stuff in many cases.

I hope Paizo's PrC's are just as balanced and flavorful.

aventhar

Explorer

And I wish Paizo would get an epic book out already....

I love anything that gives more options and flavor. Archtypes, Alternate Classes, PrC's, or whatever - Keep em all coming. Plus as a GM this is thirty new things I can throw at my players.

+1 for the Epic Book!

Edit - Erik Mona can have my Dog. She's a huge pain and my life would be much easier.

Last edited:

Remove ads