Paizo New Product Announcements

One request. Resist the urge to use a "Who let the dogs out" joke.

Instead, reference an obscure joke from a fake review of Duke Nukem Forever by the video series Zero Punctuation, and create a gun that shoots dogs. Made by a goblin druid/gunslinger who had trouble parsing the phrase "dog-shooting gun."

Leif

Adventurer
I just hope that E. Mona and Co. learned the lesson of WotC's Magic Item Compendium, and make their Ultimate Equpment Guide in such a way that any particular item contained therein can be quickly and easily located without having memorized extensive portions of the text. A *useful* Index that contains an alphabetical listing of every item detailed in the book would be much appreciated!

I wasn't very interested in the prestige classes book until I realised they were Golarion-specific. As I recall, prestige classes were originally intended to be linked to campaigns, but then WotC brought out a ton of tedious generic ones.

Winterthorn

Monster Manager
I wasn't very interested in the prestige classes book until I realised they were Golarion-specific. As I recall, prestige classes were originally intended to be linked to campaigns, but then WotC brought out a ton of tedious generic ones.

Glad you brought this up. The folks at Paizo specifically stated the PrCs in their new book are Golarion-oriented and *not* generic by default. I quote James Jacobs if I may:

"There's a reason this book is in the Campaign Setting line, folks... my philosophy is that prestige classes are MUCH BETTER when they are used to present world-specific stuff. Like Hellknights, Harrowers, Red Mantis Assassins, and Low Templars. ALL of the prestige classes in this book are built to support Golarion-specific organizations and options. Several of them will work not only as PC options, but as prestige classes you can put onto monsters (something Pathfinder is SORELY missing at this point). And they'll all bring with them some new flavor to 30 different organizations and philosophies and faiths and factions and whatever that need more info, in many cases." http://paizo.com/products/btpy8rce/discuss?Pathfinder-Campaign-Setting-Paths-of-Prestige#tabs

Ever since the 3.0 days, I've always thought WotC dropped the ball by offering too many Prestige classes as generic ones. It was a tidal wave when compounded by offerings from 3rd party publishers. I think if PrCs have requirements tied to a setting, it is easier to manage the choices predicated on limits within said setting. Additionally, I've always felt setting-specific PrCs were just that much more enjoyable because of their flavour.

In fact, I remember clearly it was the original intent that prestige classes were to be designed as specifically tied to campaign settings, and, although some were made that way, the plan didn't last long. This was because, I think, of the initial enthusiasm so many players had for them and people wanted to port whatever they found into their games. (Ahh, those days of sheer chaos at the table!)

I my view setting-specific PrCs are conceptually better than generic PrCs -- not withstanding some exceptional cases in the past -- and easier to manage from the GM's side of the table.

I'm looking forward to this book -- particularly the flavour!! :D

Last edited:

Remove ads