• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
Ok, when they cancel D&D altogether and shelve it, but keep the licence so nobody else can use it, eveyone will be playing C&C and saying: the hobby is still as healthy as ever?

Well, maybe the hobby WILL still be as healthy as ever. But it will be a hobby without D&D, no? And that won't be so good for those of us who love D&D.

You can talk about evolution all you want. But some of us cherish the past, and wish to keep some of the nice parts of that past around.

I don't buy into all this argument that things are going well. I see hobby stores closing, conventions disappearing, gaming companies disappearing, WOTC selling off this and that, and now the end of Dragon and Dungeon magazine.
I call the situation as I see it. It's over. If not over, then just terribly bad.

Vigilance

Explorer
Scylla said:
The 2005 Gen Con Indy had an attendance just over 25,000. Half a percent.
Guess they better cancel that too, eh? ;)

Point is, numbers are relative. Saying there are 5 million players (and I love Paizo but I'd like to see their hard data) doesn't mean these are all 3e players or, more importantly, players still shelling out money for WotC's products. I know players & DMs who only play 1e using their old books and I know players & DMs who don't buy from WotC, but they would probably be counted into that 5 million. How many of that 5 million actively buy WotC products? What percentage would be considered successful for a gaming magazine (especially as the two being discussed are probably the popular ever)? It's all relative.

I agree with everything you say.

My only point is, would it be reasonable to think you might be able to do better, for less cost, in a digital format?

My answer is yes.

Also, using Pyramid as a model, a gaming magazine that was physical, and went digital, that I personally have subscribed to, a magazine can offer a lot of interesting content online.

Also, Pyramid would occasional publish "best of" anthologies of the most popular articles from the web-zine.

I just see a lot of potential upside to this move.

And yes, it sucks that the magazines had to be morphed into something else after long and illustrious runs.

But the decision still makes sense to me.

Chuck

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Ourph said:
New Coke.

(I win the thread!) :D

New Coke was one of the best things Coke ever did in the history of their company though. They released it, and when people complained they released Classic Coke along with it, and discovered and amazing thing: even if nobody drank new coke, they were getting double the shelf space by doing it, squeezing their competition off the shelves in the process. Hence they dropped New Coke and released a half a dozen different varieties of coke. This was followed by the death of some of their competition, and Pepsi deciding to do the same thing or die.

Change was good, even for a good thing. It wasn't the change they expected, but it ended up being a huge benefit for Coke that they experimented the way they did.

Scylla

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
Apparently we Vulcans are not wanted around here, Scylla. :( ;)

<Laughs.>

It's cool.
I don't come to the boards to debate. This decision affected me greatly, and I can say that as the expert on me, and so it's my right to be upset (and, dare I say it, express it online). Others don't care a whit about the mags, or prefer to read in-depth D&D articles online only, and that's okay too -- I'm just not one of those latter people.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Edena_of_Neith said:
Thank you, Mistwell. :D

But how can one overdramatize the death of Dragon and Dungeon Magazines, when you are a D&Der of 30 years?

If anyone can, old man, you will be the one to do it :)

Remove ads