Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Edena_of_Neith said:
Actually, it's more like taking both Coke and Pepsi off the shelves, and replacing them with Gatorade.

Some people really love Gatorade you know!

And Mr. Pibb as well!

Agamon

Adventurer
Mistwell said:
But you have no idea what the new cola will taste like. It's not tab. It's something never seen before. It could be way better than all Cokes that came before.

That's why my fix works better. I'm not really sure what crab juice tastes like, but I'm fairly sure it's not going to fly off the shelves...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Mist,

Yeah well they are in the minority here (Mister Pibb anyway). Gatorade...eh.

Aggy,

LMAO you made my head swirl around with laughter. ;)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
From Nicephorus on another board:

Their statement in Dragon #351 says
41,772 (13,517 from subs) for the most recent issue.
47,220 (13,438 from subs) average for the last 12 months.

That suggests that sales are dropping slightly in stores. For comparison, circ was around 125,000 in 1992.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Mist,

Yeah well they had dropped before that too I'm pretty sure it was on the rise.

*has to readjust his head thanks to Aggy*

Friadoc,

Yeah well I prefer to stick with ice tea. :p ;)

Friadoc

Explorer
Nightfall,

I need to go bad to tea, again, and shed a dozen or so pounds in order to get back to my lithe svelte weight of 250ish lbs. :cool:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
As I pointed out elsewhere, it didn't have to be a binary decision.

There are many periodicals that have both print and electronic forms- Guitar Player (circulation est. 140k in 2002) and all of its sister publications (Bass Player, etc.); The Economist (circulation est. 1m weekly); the NY Times & the New Orleans Times-Picayune, to name a few. Some of the online sites have more content than the print versions, none have less.

WotC could have continued its partnership with Paizo to produce 2 magazines with an apparently upward sales/subscription trend and launched the online versions without cancellation. Then they could have compared subscription trends (online vs print) and made a decision from there. The additional costs of running an e-zine version of an already profitable magazine (esp. without paying for additional material) are negligible.

Instead, WotC chose to simply drop the 2 titles.

By doing so, they may get more subscribers, but I doubt it. Indeed, the precipitous nature of the decision may alienate enough people that, despite better profit margins, the e-zine may not pull any more actual profit than the print version due to fewer actual subscribers. They certainly alienated me.

People look at that circulation of 40-50k out of 5m estimated players worldwide and think that this is bad. I see decent market penetration for a periodical, the nature of which is shared & archived.

And as for the oft mentioned Pyramid magazine's transition to digital- I, for one, didn't join that changeover either. Once it dissapeared from the game-store shelves, it dissapeared from my "read me" list.

Remove ads