Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

freebfrost

Explorer
Lets see, I have copies of every issue of each of these products, and have been a long-time subscriber of both. I spend an ungodly amount of money on gaming, specifically d20 and WotC products in any given year. I have a large collection of nearly every product ever made by TSR/WotC and a lot of the other companies.

And now they decide to move to an online model.

I really don't have room for an ugly hard drive on my bookshelves next to my copy of Dragon #1.

I'm really beginning to think about getting into collecting something else. Maybe Car Wars? Something already dead that I don't have to invest a lot of money into, because I definitely will be cutting WAY back on my D&D purchases from WotC.

Yeah, I feel a bit sick inside over this. And I guess I'll have to let my wallet make my point.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I'm going to reserve judgement on this until I see how the new site comes out. I've said before that I wondered at the continued existence of print magazines for D&D; it seems like too much of a niche market (and a geek - ie generally computer savvy - market) for a print 'zine to make as much sense as an e-zine.

If Dragon were to have gone back to being the magazine of tabletop gaming - if not the magazine of fantasy as a whole - as it was in the '80s and early '90s, I'd weep for the loss as much as anyone, but it's essentially Wizards' house magazine; not producing it in-house seemed awfully strange.

Potentially, Wizards could do some amazing stuff by putting it on their web site. I'm not saying they necessarily WILL, mind, but the potential is there.

Unlike a lot of people on this thread, I'm very fond of the content on Wizards' web site and think it's one of the best gaming resources out there. If they continue to pay for the freelance talent Paizo benefits from, and add that content to what they have already, it should be WELL worth the price of admission.

iwatt

First Post
Well, although my subscription to Dungeon officially ended at number #150 (talk about weird) I already subscribed to Pathfinder.

I have one question though: I've really enjoyed the conversion guidelines for other settings which was used in AoW. Is there going to be something similar for Pathfinder APs? Or is that not possible now that you'be lost the official WOTC liscense?

takasi

First Post
So what, we're just getting adventures now from Paizo?

"Pathfinder" is more expensive than both Dungeon and Dragon combined. Goodman Games has a better, cheaper selection of generic d20 material, IMO. I definately won't be getting a subscription, but I may pick it up when it's dirt cheap at a con in a few years or so, just as a footnote in gaming.

Then again, Dungeon magazine has kind of spiraled into a generic, OGL style magazine anyway. Very little Eberron or Forgotten Realms; I'll be surprised if people can even tell the difference between the adventures in Dungeon and the adventures in Pathfinder (except in price and public visibility of course).

I'm glad we're seeing more online content though. It's so much easier to cut and paste into VGT's like MapTool. My players are having much more fun with War of the Burning Sky and the recent WotC adventure then they have had with generic Dungeon modules.

Here's looking forward to better gaming online.

Also, to those who say there is no visibility to D&D on shelves: Novels. They're even at my local supermarket.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm guessing that if WotC wants to keep making money Dragon/Dungeon are not doing it for them. It's all about miniatures and eventually digital competition with MMOs. IMO Virtual Game Tables and collectible miniatures are the future of the BUSINESS of selling D&D.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Good night, sweet prince. :(

This is sad news indeed. Although I don't read them too much (I do have a subscription to dragon that runs another couple of months, though), I know that many really like the magazines, and they have been a part of D&D since before I was born.

It really is as if a friend dies. D&D will never be the same.

Is it just me, or is Wizards turning into the Sony of RPGs? If you want to know what I mean by Sony, read this.

This is the second strike for Wizards, in my book (the first being the general attitude of their minis people). I think all this will influence my future buying habits, especially in regards to miniatures. Seems that Reaper will come along with their plastic minis just in time.

Hobo said:
This is just to mollify the anger when they announce at GenCon that they are killing D&D completely. It's a phased in approach.

You know, I'd actually not be surprised about this. They'll probably keep the DDM game going (until that fails because the D&D fans stop buying)

Zaukrie said:
Way to support the FLGS, Wizards! Cut them out of the channel.

That's what I don't understand. Didn't they have some policy about not supporting online stores? In DDM, that is so, anyway - as far as I know, those eBay sellers were given a hard time by Wizards, and the special content, like promo figures is only available via a participating brick&mortar store (participating and supported by Wizards, that is. That excludes a couple of continents), unlike what, say, Reaper does with their tokens found on every blister.

Their site is down a lot. Their message boards are down more than any boards I've ever seen. Who really thinks this is a good idea?

Yeah. And look at their release schedule. Especially in the DDM part of the side: Lots of articles that were promised but never delivered, others were released days or even weeks late, or only ever half-done.

PhantomNarrator said:
Indeed, this does not bode well for WotC's future relationship with its fan base. If they're willing to kill Dragon and Dungeon just to squeeze another revenue stream out of their website, then nothing will be safe in 4th edition. Nothing.

How long before they conclude that all us grognards are dead weight and turn D&D into a collectible miniatures game?

You know, with this and their online crap I actually start to think that the talk about DDM being only the start, later replacing D&D is more than paranoia.

Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I'm not one to generally wish ill upon others ( ;) ) but I really hope Wizards digital iniative falls flat on its face.

I second that motion!

I'm a tech freak. I use my PC for watching movies and stuff (no TV), listening to music (no stereo), I look up stuff on the internet instead of in dictionaries. But when it comes to novels, and to RPG, I want stuff I can pick up and read in the bead, or on the toilet, or easily put on the table - without having to print and bind it all properly, or pass around a laptop.
I might look into that online stuff, provided it is very reasonably priced, and has good and reliable content. I doubt that this will happen.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Drkfathr1 said:
Isn't this kind of like putting the cart before the horse, when you don't even have wheels yet?

Let me say it: ONLINE STUFF SUCKS TO TRY TO READ. Not the text, but the medium. You can have the best writers in the world. ONLINE STUFF SUCKS. Unless you can hold a book or magazine in your hands, it sucks. Ever try to sit on the toilet and READ YOUR LAPTOP? WTF?

Laptop screens are not large enough for me to run a game at my table, and it's not my job to be printing this crap out (print outs suck too).

Anybody notice that online books haven't exactly taken off? It's because the medium sucks to read. It sucks to hold in your hands (oh, my laptop isn't quite like having real paper in my hands). It sucks to see. There's no NEW GAME SMELL!

This whole thing sucks in fact. (What stage of grief am I in?)

jh
It's as if the whips of Lorraine Wiliams have returned to wreck the hobby again!

..and Tom Moldvay died!

DAMIT!

Last edited:

Anurien

First Post
When I first heard of this, I felt physically ill and I suspect this won't subside for a good few hours (at least until the first beer kicks in and I rewatch Serenity again for nth time).

I'd like to sincerely wish Paizo all the best for the future. Given your level of innovation and production values I am not worried for it.

Anyhoo, I look forward to my first Pathfinder arriving!

p.s. Josh, might I suggest you clear some space on the site for 728x90 banner ads? I'm sure this would be a popular choice for advertisers (me included) and provide a few extra gold pieces for the coffers.
p.p.s. Why no ads in Pathfinder?

All the best
Howard

Presto2112

Explorer
JoshuaFrost said:
Pathfinder is a book. :)

I don't buy that. You can call it a book, a raspberry, or even a chainsaw. It's going to be a magazine, according to the dictionary definition.

dictionary.reference.com definition of "magazine" said:
-noun
1. a publication that is issued periodically, usually bound in a paper cover, and typically contains essays, stories, poems, etc., by many writers, and often photographs and drawings, frequently specializing in a particular subject or area, as hobbies, news, or sports.

Who ever heard of subscribing to a BOOK?

sjmiller

Explorer
Belen said:
I heard they had a customer service number printed on the copyright page of the 3e PHB.

Unfortunately, their contact us page sucks, which tells us exactly how bad their e-zine will be.
Well, the first printing of the 3.0 DMG also has a phone number on the copyright page. I have it right here in front of me. The number is 1-800-324-6496. To contact their European Headquarters, the number is +32-70-23-32-77. I hope that's right. At least that is the number under the address in Berchem, Belgium.

Remove ads