• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo no longer publishing Dungeon and Dragon

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Cthulhudrew said:
Oh, lord. What are you, Wizards' lawyer? The guy's in a better position than you to know what he's talking about, can't you just take him at his word?

He's the marketing director, whose message seems to be "Everything's perfectly alright now. We're fine, we're all fine, here now, thank you. How are you?" So...forgive me if I assume we are witnessing some spin.

Mistwell

Erik Mona said:
The original announcement covered this. The licenses are owned by Wizards of the Coast. They decided to do something else with the brands. It wasn't a matter of negotiation, because it wasn't an issue of offers and counter-offers. It was an issue of Wizards of the Coast making a decision about the best future for their brands, and deciding to do something other than renew Paizo's license to product print versions of the magazines.

This is within their rights (actually, it's the definition of their rights) as the license-holder. As a company who has dealt with lots of licenses before, we've always known that something like this could happen, which is one reason we've diversified our business over the last few years.

I should also point out that Wizards of the Coast very graciously agreed to extend Paizo's license to produce the magazines for four more months to ensure that we printed the conclusion of the Savage Tide Adventure Path. They didn't need to do that, and for all of the heat they are taking online here and elsewhere, it's important to point out that extending the license for this purpose was a decision made in the best interest of the audience, and one for which we are thankful.

I will repeat, there is no cloak-and-dagger shennanigans going on here. We remain on good terms with Wizards of the Coast and wish them the best of luck. My understanding is that Wizards wishes us the best of luck as well. In fact, it says that specifically in the announcement.

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC

I appreciate that clarification Erik.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Mistwell said:
He's the marketing director, whose message seems to be "Everything's perfectly alright now. We're fine, we're all fine, here now, thank you. How are you?" So...forgive me if I assume we are witnessing some spin.
You nonchalantly assume/accuse/allege that Paizo no longer wish to publish the D&D magazines. They weren't given a chance to say that or otherwise.

Mistwell

PaizoPhil said:
Wow, I can't remember the last time I wore PANTS to work, let alone a suit :)

The Paizo Dress Code only forbids one item - kilts. Past that, we are about as anti-suit-mentality as you can get...

"Suits" here is being used by people (not me) in a pejorative fashion to attack WOTC employees as heartless greedy corporate drones, not their clothing :) As far as I know, WOTC does not have a particularly corporate dress code either.

It's pretty clear that WotC is getting absolutely hammered on this in terms of PR. Some heads should roll for this. To announce this in a "by the way..." fashion is inexcusable for a professional, big-time company. They should have had all their ducks lined up in a row to show what exactly it is that WotC is going to replace the magazines with. Right now, it looks like a lot of empty promises.

I'm glad to see Paizo doing the right thing and providing the option of a refund for outstanding issues. Very professional and ethical.

I think this pretty much kills Dragon and Dungeon. Maybe they were dying already (Dragon at least), but soon WotC will discover that people aren't going to pay the same price for an online version. The same way they learned that people won't buy digital "books" at anywhere near the price for an actual physical product.

Never say never, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a pay-for-content D&D website kills my interest in the future of the game. I'll spend my time and money on other interests.

Sledge

First Post
PaizoPhil said:
The Paizo Dress Code only forbids one item - kilts. Past that, we are about as anti-suit-mentality as you can get...
That's it! Consider my application rescinded! No kilts indeed! Where is your cultural understanding? Where is your appreciation of my need to feel a draft? I cannot work at a place so horrible as to ban kilts! Shame! ;)

Mistwell

Ranger REG said:
You nonchalantly assume/accuse/allege that Paizo no longer wish to publish the D&D magazines. They weren't given a chance to say that or otherwise.

I have not said any of those things. You sure are worked up over this, and at me as an ancillary to your anger because I am what...remaining calm and not looking to assign blame until I hear both sides of the story in a more full way?

Friadoc

Explorer
PaizoPhil said:
Wow, I can't remember the last time I wore PANTS to work, let alone a suit :)

There was an "incident", wasn't there?

Someone went all regimental on the wrong day, reached for something on the top shelf, and next thing you know there's been six meetings, a waiver sent around from HR, and a counselor on-site, in a spare office, all day the next day?

It's usually a summer day, too.

Oh, the humanity! :D

Last edited:

Remove ads