• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo re-invents Hexcrawling

coyote6

Adventurer
I'm with you on the number of skill points.

Note that the way cross-class and class skills work is different in Pathfinder. IIRC, there's no more "pay two points for 1 rank of a cross-class skill"; now all skills are 1 pt for 1 rank, for everyone. The difference is that if you invest in a rank of a class skill, you get a +3 bonus to that skill. (There's also no x4 skill points at 1st level; the +3 takes the place of that, largely.)

Also, if a skill ever becomes a class skill for you, you get the +3.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
I've been struggling with what I should run after my current campaign and I think this thread and Kingmaker has helped pull me back to Paizo. Although I'll probably try my hand at converting Rise of the Runelords to 4E first since I still have the first 4 issues handy.

Dannager

First Post
I've been struggling with what I should run after my current campaign and I think this thread and Kingmaker has helped pull me back to Paizo. Although I'll probably try my hand at converting Rise of the Runelords to 4E first since I still have the first 4 issues handy.
...If only someone had already converted the first four issues of Rise of the Runelords to 4e for you... :angel:

pedr

Explorer
S'mon, you should be able to get Pathfinder modules and adventure paths from any UK games retailer. Pathfinder adventure path #30 (the last Council of Thieves instalment) was released here on the 8th so I'd expect Kingmaker #1 (#31) to show up at Leisure Games etc around the second week of April, but it could be earlier. That may be more reliable than getting it from Amazon (and might not) - but you'll probably not be able to pre-order it from other retailers until they've got a confirmed date from the distributor. Kingmaker #1's being sent out from Paizo at the moment, I think - I think they're sending subscription copies out this week.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm with you on the number of skill points.

Note that the way cross-class and class skills work is different in Pathfinder. IIRC, there's no more "pay two points for 1 rank of a cross-class skill"; now all skills are 1 pt for 1 rank, for everyone. The difference is that if you invest in a rank of a class skill, you get a +3 bonus to that skill. (There's also no x4 skill points at 1st level; the +3 takes the place of that, largely.)

Also, if a skill ever becomes a class skill for you, you get the +3.

I like how Pathfinder split the difference with "training" like this. It really helps take the best of both worlds.

I've got a few PF speedbumps myself (buff-fest!), but since I picked up D&D well after the hexgrid heydey, I might pick this up to see how it could be done...

Derulbaskul

Adventurer

No need to do the conversion work yourself: Tales from the Rusty Dragon

Scott Betts did an excellent job converting Rise of the Runelords and made everything available at his on his blog. If you use his stuff, make sure you drop by the Paizo boards to say thanks to him.

egarvue

First Post
I was an original subscriber to the Pathfinder series, but when the whole edition fiasco hit, I was saddened to see that (through no fault of their own, glad to see your successes) Paizo go their own way. Being a 4E fan, I really didn't keep tabs on the Pathfinder world until now; our group is nearing the end of their epic tier adventures, and we're looking to start over at 1st level soon.

Several of us were leaning toward a "sandbox" type campaign, and lo and behold, our favorite adventure writers come up with said sandbox. After reading the Kingmaker player's guide, this is exactly what we're looking for, edition wars be damned. I will be subscribing to Kingmaker, and even though we'll be adapting it to 4E, I can already see that the meta-campaign rules are fairly edition-agnostic and will provide exactly the adventure framework we want.

Good job, Paizo!

Last edited:

Jack99

Adventurer
Sounds interesting.

Question for Paizo regulars - if you purchase/subscribe for a hard copy of the adventure, do you get the PDF included? I seem to recall them doing that when I converted my remaining print Dragon subscription credits to a Pathfinder sub, but was curious if they still did that. Thanks!

Count me as a 4e player who's considering converting this to run with 4e if it's as good as it's sounding...

We are a bit farther off in my gaming group, since we already have a campaign going already, which is nowhere near ending. I will however be taking a look at Kingmaker, since that will probably be my next campaign, and see how well it translates to 4e.

Maybe those who plan to run it under 4e should work together on 4e-fying it, if need be?

/excited

S'mon

Legend
I like how Pathfinder split the difference with "training" like this. It really helps take the best of both worlds.

Yes, it sounds like a great idea - the Bard will always be more diplomatic than the Fighter, but at least it becomes *possible* for a high level Fighter to have decent Diplomacy. He's still stuck with 2 skill ranks/level for all his skills, though.

Remove ads