• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo sets price of Pathfinder RPG PDF at $9.99!!!!!

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I don't know of too many placed where you can print out a bound copy of a 576-page rulebook in color for that cheap. Add in the high quality of Paizo's books and I think it's worth buying a physical copy of the rules.

As to local gaming shops, if they really want to see PDFs as a threat, then they're already behind the times. If they want to worry about a real threat to their bottom line, they can worry about Amazon.com. I could go on there right now and order the Pathfinder core rules for something like $35.

Near the end of 3.5 when I was still buying WOTC books I'd buy either from Amazon for a huge discount or Borders of an okay discount. I'd NEVER buy WOTC books from my LGS at full price (and for years and years I used to do just that until I got wise.) I'd pick up dice, Paizo Item cards, modeling equipment and the occasional magazine but not game books.

To be fair though, Paizo IS costing the LGS sales, but only because of their subscription service. Ordering directly from them and getting a discount AND the PDF for free is too good to pass up. PDF's help me prep for my games so much easier. But I'm probably in the minority in my desire for PDF versions of my hardcopies.

AllisterH

First Post
Twowolves, you honestly can't see why brick and mortar stores are upset?

Again, you keep assuming that there will be no lost sales due to the parent company selling this? This isn't Amazon which while they (game store owers) hope WOTC would toss over a bridge they understand the reality of.

This $10 PDF is akin to WOTC decidiing to sell MTGO packs not at the MSRP but at pennies (Gencon and GAMA has many "game store owner" panels and trust me, when MTGO was to first go live, there was much complaints/threats from the store owners of WOTC undercutting them at such panels).

Paizo, in all honesty, is the worse fear of any retail outlet. The manufacturer of the product selling the product at a large discount.

There's also another threat of "what about the other guys". If say both White Wolf and WOTC start doing this, I can not imagine the game store owners being happy..

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Well, if this makes FLGS's angry, then the very existance of the internet should be driving them crazy!

Maybe they should just sue Al Gore for creating it in the first place.:p

kitsune9

Adventurer
So why even buy a hardcover copy?

I buy the .pdf., lets say I like it. Oh now I want a hardcopy, do I shell out $50-60? Hell no, I go to staples, where I could make 2-3 color, bound copies of the book and still be spending less than MSRP.

Something wreaks of desperation, not sure what but something.

I can see some people like that, but I'll still want a hard copy. What kind of pricing can you get for color copies? At Staples across the street from where I live, it's $0.49 a color copy per side. At 576 pages plus the covers, it's $283.22. Add $3 for binding, my final price is $285.22 plus tax. Well, at least it's brutal to go that route here in the SF Bay Area.

Qwillion

First Post
I can't say how happy this made me as a 3PP pdf and print on demand company supporting the Pathfinder RPG, a core rule book at this price is awesome!

FlGS will get an uptick from folks buying the supporting proudcts (like pathfinder adventure paths, Card Decks, and pathfinder chronicles), they could get an even greater uptick if they support Pathfinder Society Scenarios.

Excellent, thank you Paizo!

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
The price point is good for me to get; I wanted to take a look anyway, though. I respect what Paizo has done in the past and while I have no real plans to run any 3.5/Pathfinder games, 1) I still play some and 2) there are always potential ideas to mine.

I haven't had a LGS in years, so its not an issue for me. I preferred to support mine when it was feasible. If I still had one, I would have likely gotten the hardcover, only later (trying to buy a house right now >> getting the PRPG HC).

Agamon

Adventurer
I'm surprised that anyone is surprised. Paizo has always sold cheaply or given away their pdfs. Or they did back when I was a subscriber. What has always been surprising to me is WotC's weird pdf policies....

catsclaw227

First Post
Near the end of 3.5 when I was still buying WOTC books I'd buy either from Amazon for a huge discount or Borders of an okay discount. I'd NEVER buy WOTC books from my LGS at full price (and for years and years I used to do just that until I got wise.) I'd pick up dice, Paizo Item cards, modeling equipment and the occasional magazine but not game books.

To be fair though, Paizo IS costing the LGS sales, but only because of their subscription service. Ordering directly from them and getting a discount AND the PDF for free is too good to pass up. PDF's help me prep for my games so much easier. But I'm probably in the minority in my desire for PDF versions of my hardcopies.
This is me.

I buy my books from Amazon and the rest from my FLGS. And I prefer PDF over hardcover for DMing, for sure. The Paizo subscription model is pretty awesome.

Remove ads