• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo sets price of Pathfinder RPG PDF at $9.99!!!!!

VictorC

Explorer
So why even buy a hardcover copy?

I buy the .pdf., lets say I like it. Oh now I want a hardcopy, do I shell out $50-60? Hell no, I go to staples, where I could make 2-3 color, bound copies of the book and still be spending less than MSRP.

Something wreaks of desperation, not sure what but something.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Gutsy move, and I think it's a good move to support pdfs, and well priced pdfs. :)

It will be interesting to read. That said, I'll be purchasing a print copy at GenCon just because it's easier for use at the table that way.

Qualidar

First Post

Your argument? ;)

More customers by far are going to want a real, hardcover book. I would think that if someone isn't going to shell out the cash for the hardcover book, they wouldn't have done so either with or without a pdf.

AllisterH

First Post

I buy the .pdf., lets say I like it. Oh now I want a hardcopy, do I shell out $50-60? Hell no, I go to staples, where I could make 2-3 color, bound copies of the book and still be spending less than MSRP.

Simple.

Reading on screen is a pain in the butt for many of us.

I don't think it's desperation but Paizo simply trying to get as many people as possible to take a look. The belief is that the $10 price point will keep most of the people who would be tempted by a pirated copy if it had been $25, will actually buy it at the $10 price point.

an_idol_mind

Explorer

I don't know of too many placed where you can print out a bound copy of a 576-page rulebook in color for that cheap. Add in the high quality of Paizo's books and I think it's worth buying a physical copy of the rules.

As to local gaming shops, if they really want to see PDFs as a threat, then they're already behind the times. If they want to worry about a real threat to their bottom line, they can worry about Amazon.com. I could go on there right now and order the Pathfinder core rules for something like $35.

JVisgaitis

Explorer

Good luck with that. First off, Staples wouldn't even print a copy of my own PDF.

Secondly, I think you underestimate the cost factor for color unless my Staples prices are way out of whack. You would spend more on a single bound copy at 10 cents a page...

Um, sounds like Babelfish gone bad! Can we get a translation please? :)

Last edited:

Qualidar

First Post
I really do think this is an amazingly smart move. They're giving out the PDFs for free to subscribers anyway, which means that free copes are going to be up on torrent sites lightning quick. There will be those that download it for free, but this way they can tap into those that are willing to pay a reasonable price. Some of those people, who clearly wouldn't have bought the hardcover before, now will.

That's the iTunes strategy for RPGs, people. It will help sell books in the stores as well as to Paizo directly. I wish other game companies would have been so smart.

Remove ads