Pathfinder 1E Paizo sets price of Pathfinder RPG PDF at $9.99!!!!!

FunkBGR

Explorer
I don't know about everyone else, but I know that I don't want to read through a 400 or 500 page pdf unless I know what I'm looking for.

I'd still buy the hardcover and the PDF.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I don't know about everyone else, but I know that I don't want to read through a 400 or 500 page pdf unless I know what I'm looking for.

That's a good, valid and fair point.

I should note I use two monitors, one of which is tilted portrait to view docs on. And I'm considering hooking up my 32" Sony Bravia HD TV as my sole desktop monitor instead, which would provide a lot of screen real estate.... B-)

And for any large PDF, bookmarks are a MUST.

Papa-DRB

First Post

I'd still buy the hardcover and the PDF.

Foxit Software (PDF reader) has a search box. Saves *much* time and effort!!

Oh, and I am getting both anyway, via PfRPG Subscription.....

carmachu

Explorer
A possible reason that it wouldn't be carried is because they can't compete with the prices. A possible reason the FLGS or LGS does not exist is because of the fact they can't sell material if it's available considerably cheaper as PDF.

Or perhaps its as two of the folks have already said, and I'll reiterate myself:

We have really really suck donkey rear FLGS that we probably wouldnt pee on if it was on fire, and would rather order it online......

I know the 2 "local" ones(local meaning its 45 minutes to an hour to get to) really doesnt carry anything I'm interested in. Not unless I'm into card games or paintball or 4e....

Samuel Leming

First Post
This is fantastic news.

Don't popular PDFs drive up books sales if those books get used in actual games? Since Pathfinder is actually being played, I don't think the LGS have much to worry about.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I tend to buy most of my games as PDF only now - no green house gas emissions given off, no cutting down trees or wasting other natural resources just to print and ship it to me, be that to the FLGS or my house directly. I buy a lot more ebooks and magazines for the same reason. I'm not saying I'm perfect at it, but I've really been trying to reduce my carbon footprint the last few years. Every little bit helps. B-)

Huh.

I was just thinking how much I enjoy a fresh copy of the rules every session.

I was planning to print out my copy on glossy, bleached white paper, and then make a special drive across town, with the windows down and the AC cranked, so that I can toss the "used" PDF into an incinerator.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Actually, I think this is the best strategy for Paizo.

There's some resistance to Paizo taking on the 3e banner, and investing in an expensive book is a risk. If I remember correctly, they've said they would not do anything like an SRD (where you get all the rules for free).

So the PDF is a good investment--while it may compete with the print product, it still puts money in the hands of Paizo, and has the benefit of getting more people to try the rules.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
PDFs (and ebooks in general) would be more attractive to more people if there was a way to replicate the "feel" of having a book in your hands.

This product coming out in 2010 looks promising:

Plastic Logic

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Awesome Paizo!:cool:

Before I knew the price, I was only planning to buy the pdf. Now I'm going to buy both the physical book and the pdf. Very cool, and a very smart business move (model). Perhaps if another, certain, RPG company had gone this route, maybe they wouldn't have had the problems with pdf's that they encountered.:hmm:

I guess it helps being able to benefit from others mistakes, but it's win-win for me no matter what led you guys to this decision. Pathfinder and Trailblazer are going to be my only real RPG purchases this year. I think I may have to start looking into a subscription also (especially since I've cancelled my subscription at that aforemmentioned, other, RPG company).

Keep up the good work, and keep the prices reasonable, and you'll continue to have your devoted customers.

Thanks Paizo!:D

guivre

First Post
I have very little interest in Pathfinder, despite that I'll be buying this just to support the concept of reasonably pricing PDFs.

Remove ads