• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladin/Druid build.

Minsc

Explorer
I just read about this, I'm adding a few details but the idea isn't totally mine.

Half Orc Paladin 2/Druid X.

Stats: 13 in STR, WIS, CHA. Otherwise, they really don't matter too much.

The basic build idea is to shape-change and do a lot of damage this way. Circle of the Moon Druids excel at this. With a two level dip into Paladin, they get the awesome ability Smite.

Smite is balanced in the Paladin class, but is easily abused when combined with a primary spellcaster, since they gain so many more spells, and higher level spells faster.

The Half Orc is used because it helps with the point buy aspect (I know Dragonborn and Aasimar help a bit more), and because of Reckless Attack. Even if we're not increasing the chances of landing a crit with this character, when it does happen, it will be spectacular.

I wonder: since you're still technically wearing armor when you shape change, will the Defense fighting style add +1 to AC when you're in animal form? Or would I be better off with dueling style, and would that work if I'm only using one arm or bite to attack?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I believe RAW, you're not wearing armor in beast form; you also get no benefits from equipment worn while in beast form.

Also, by RAW, you're not holding a weapon in one hand in beast form; you're considered unarmed.

everyman322

First Post
Actually, you choose whether your equipment falls to the ground, melds with your beast form (in which case it gives no benefit) or is worn by your beast form (in which case it works normally). It does have to fit the beast form to be worn though (DM discretion). You can also wear barding in beast form, though again, it has to fit and you'd probably have to have a friend put it on you after you wildshape, probably outside combat due to time, barring some extremely questionable climb-in-and-wildshape shenanigans. If you got knocked out of beast form, and the first thing you did on your turn was re-wildshape, I think it would be up to your DM to decide if you could still be wearing your barding properly.

Your DM may rule that beasts with "Natural Armor" (listed by their AC) count as wearing armor, as mine did when I tried to get Unarmored Defense in beast form on my Barbarian 1/Druid X :(

Also, keep in mind Druids can't wear metal armor, which makes your max base AC 12.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
If you're going to spend most of your time wildshaped, you don't need to care about Str, Dex, or Con. So you're not getting much out of Half Orc's stat bonuses.

However, what you are getting is potentially huge: Relentless Endurance.

Relentless Endurance lets you drop to 1 HP instead of 0. Normally this is SUPER RISKY (at low-mid levels), because the next big-damage attack could kill you outright. Not so while wildshaped. If you're wildshaped and drop to 0 (or below), you just shift back to your normal form, at whatever HP total you had when you first shifted (excess damage carries over). But the shift doesn't happen at all if you use Relentless Endurance. So you can stay in your Wild Shape form for one more round. That's a big deal.

Moving on...

Defense Style doesn't apply, because you're not wearing armor while Wild Shaped--technically, or otherwise.

Dueling doesn't apply because you're not wielding weapons.

Similar "doesn't apply" for Great Weapon and Protection. All those styles rely on gear--gear that you don't have while Wild Shaped. Unless you go the cheesy route of a gorilla or something.

Personally, I think a better combo is Druid and Warlock. The Great Old One's Telepathy feature solves one of the biggest drawbacks of Wild Shape: not being able to talk.

Minsc

Explorer
If you're going to spend most of your time wildshaped, you don't need to care about Str, Dex, or Con. So you're not getting much out of Half Orc's stat bonuses.

However, what you are getting is potentially huge: Relentless Endurance.

Relentless Endurance lets you drop to 1 HP instead of 0. Normally this is SUPER RISKY (at low-mid levels), because the next big-damage attack could kill you outright. Not so while wildshaped. If you're wildshaped and drop to 0 (or below), you just shift back to your normal form, at whatever HP total you had when you first shifted (excess damage carries over). But the shift doesn't happen at all if you use Relentless Endurance. So you can stay in your Wild Shape form for one more round. That's a big deal.

Moving on...

Defense Style doesn't apply, because you're not wearing armor while Wild Shaped--technically, or otherwise.

Dueling doesn't apply because you're not wielding weapons.

Similar "doesn't apply" for Great Weapon and Protection. All those styles rely on gear--gear that you don't have while Wild Shaped. Unless you go the cheesy route of a gorilla or something.

Personally, I think a better combo is Druid and Warlock. The Great Old One's Telepathy feature solves one of the biggest drawbacks of Wild Shape: not being able to talk.
Thanks. I also like the half orc since the shape shifted attacks count as weapon attacks. Bonus damage on critical hits.

Minsc

Explorer
Crits are fun, but if you're going to go crit fishing then you may as well pick up Fighter 3 for Champion.

True.

But let me flip the question back to you: what do you think is a better racial choice, from an optimization perspective, for a Paladin 2/Druid?

everyman322

First Post
I know the question wasn't directed at me but... my vote is for Alternate Human (if allowed). Feats are very powerful, and a lot of fun. I've personally gotten a lot of use out of the Charger feat while wildshaped (it's a huge damage boost early, and very handy for a melee beast to get in range without wasting a turn just moving) and Lucky is very good too - it can help you make that clutch save or ability check, or maintain concentration on a spell (which is important while wildshaped since you'll be taking lots of hits and can't cast again without un-wildshaping). I like casting Barkskin before turning into a brown bear for super tank mode, but wanted something a little more versatile than Warcaster for maintaining concentration, and even though Lucky is only 3 uses per long rest, being able to choose whether to use it after you see the initial roll makes it go pretty far.

Also, I wouldn't recommend 3 levels of Fighter for Champion. Crit chance adds very little average damage in 5e, although critting does feel good in game. I personally think Champion is terrible. And in my experience (with my Barbarian 1/Druid X), being just 1 level behind in my wildshape feels bad sometimes (especially around level 5-6), so I feel like being 3 levels behind would make wildshape pretty much ineffective in combat, largely due to the fact that your chance to hit in beast form doesn't increase with proficiency.

Minsc

Explorer
I agree that critting isn't the most impressive thing in this game, but it is awesome when you have the option to announce the act of smiting after you score a crit.

That's when it makes a big difference.

Edit: I probably still wouldn't add the champion levels though.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Gnome is pretty great. Advantage on all Int, Wis, Cha saves vs. magic is a huge boost. Darkvision is useful. Go with Forest Gnome for the +Dex (initiative mod when in gnome form, to help you get to wild shape form faster), and for the Speak With Small Beasts ability (a huge boon when scouting). The Minor Illusion cantrip is a fun add, as well. You can use it to sketch out what you've observed while scouting.

Wood Elf is a good match as well. No sleep means you can take long rests while in animal form (you're not unconscious while Long Resting). Choose Wood Elf, for the Wis bonus. And Mask of the Wild will *really* help with your scouting.

Remove ads