• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladin - Warlock Undying Light MC question

Logain08

First Post
Hello everyone,

I'm currently playing a level 2 half-elf paladin in Eberron. I'm an adherent to the Silver Flame. At level 3 I'm going to take the Oath of Vengeance, but ever since the new UA came out with the Undying Light patron for warlocks, I'm thinking about making my character multiclass at some point for 2 warlock levels.

Roleplaywise, I think this is justifiable. My Undying Light patron could be the Silver Flame itself, I think. But my question is whether or not multiclassing is a good idea or not. I don't think we will ever reach level 20, but I'm the type of player that very stubbornly takes the capstone abilities into account, even though it's unrealistic. And the Angelic Avenger ability just seems so cool to activate.

But then I also think that MC warlock can offset some weaknesses of my paladin, namely a good ranged attack in the form of Eldritch Blast and two levels of warlock gives me two level 1 slots that recharge on a short rest. I could also the Greenfire Blade or Booming Blade as my other cantrip.

I'm looking for advice on whether or not my idea is mechanically sound or a good idea. And if I multiclass, at what point would it be best to do so. I think there are three options. After level 6, after level 9 or after level 11. Any advice is appreciated!

Many thanks in advance,
-Logain

kore

First Post
It is mechanically sound, but I'm curious why you chose L6/9/11 and the jumping off point.

For what reason are you choosing OoV? Devotion may be a better choice thematically AND mechanically and you'd still get Hunter's Mark except it's called Hex. ;)

CD: Sacred Weapon with GWF and GWM would be a potent combination and more so with Hex later on. Thus, you stay paladin to L3 for Oath, L4 for feat, and L5 for Extra Attack and then move on to the Undying Light.

Edit:
You could even skip L5 for Extra Attack and go straight to warlock for GFB which will synergize well with the UL's Radiant Soul bonus damage. The question is whether this marginalizes the GWF/GWM/Sacred Weapon combo.

Last edited:

Logain08

First Post
Thanks for your reply!

I chose 6 for Aura of Protection, 9 for the level 3 spells, and 11 because then you get improved divine smite. All of those seem like really powerful features.

I want to go for OoV, mostly because I like the Oath spells they get. Roleplay-wise I would focus on hunting down supernatural evil, based on the Silver Flame lore of Eberron. But I do agree that Devotion is also a good fit.

I still have plenty of time to think about this, but I think it would be nice to counter one of the weaknesses of paladins by mutliclassing, picking up a good ranged option.

As for warlock spells, I wasn't planning on picking up hex, mostly for roleplay reasons. I think I would want expeditious retreat for extra mobility and another utility spell.

Remove ads