• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Paladins smiting with multiple damage types?

Quartz

Hero
I trust no one has a problem with changing the base type of damage of a paladin's Smite? It makes sense for a paladin of Nerull to Smite with necrotic damage and for a paladin of Thor to Smite with thunder damage, But would you allow a paladin to mix and match? Would you allow the paladin of Thor to choose between thunder and radiant every time? Or could the paladin have a permanent 50-50 radiant-thunder split?

Shiroiken

Legend
The easy way to do it would be to have the base 1d8 and fiend/undead bonus die remain Radiant, while the 1d8 per slot level be the secondary type. Thus a paladin of the Odinson would deal 2d8 Radiant and 1d8 Thunder with a level 1 slot against a skeleton. Obviously the dice rolled would have to be tracked separately, just they are now with the weapon dice.

I like these ideas, especially the 'pick at character creation'. I'd worry that there would be a tendency to switch between what's optimal, which isn't bad (D&D IS a game) but it might not be a good fit for some tables

NotAYakk

Legend
Thunder Smite: (Alternative class feature, replaces Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite)
Starting at 2nd Level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal thunder damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d6 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d6 for each Spell Level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d6. The damage increases by 1d6 if the target is an Giant or Construct. You then gain temporary HP equal to the amount of damage the smite dealt.

At level 11, your melee weapon attacks deal an extra 1d6 Thunder damage, and grant an equal number of temporary HP. On a critical hit, the target must make a strength saving throw against your spellcasting DC or be knocked prone.

Reduced damage, temporary HP, different creatures take extra damage.

L 11 feature has the critical rider, because repeated temporary HP on a round doesn't stack as well as repeated damage. So I added something a bit fun.

Temporary HP don't stack, and by default last until the next long rest.

Doom Smite: (Alternative class feature, replaces Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite)
Starting at 2nd Level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal necrotic damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each Spell Level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an Humanoid or Celestial. You then lose HP equal to the damage the smite dealt (this cannot reduce your HP below 1, and ignores temporary HP), and gain temporary HP equal to the damage the smite dealt that last for 1 minute.

At level 11, your melee weapon attacks deal an extra 1d8 Necrotic damage.

Same damage. Your HP are quickly reduced to 1, but your short-term survivability stays level or goes up. This sort of "dooms" you in the future.

L 11 extra damage can just stay extra damage.

Thematically, you are fueling the smite with your life force, while being temporarially sustained by the foul energy you are using.

Rabbit Smite: (Alternative class feature, replaces Divine Smite and Improved Divine Smite)
Starting at 2nd Level, when you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, you can expend one spell slot to deal bludgeoning damage to the target, in addition to the weapon's damage. The extra damage is 2d8 for a 1st-level spell slot, plus 1d8 for each Spell Level higher than 1st, to a maximum of 5d8. The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an Dragon or Monstrosity or allergic to Rabbit-fur.

At level 11, your melee weapon attacks deal an extra 1d8 Bludgeoning damage.

Hop hop

Last edited:

Quartz

Hero
The damage increases by 1d8 if the target is an Dragon or Monstrosity or allergic to Rabbit-fur.

Well done!

Well yes, as I said in my OP I don't think anyone has a problem with changing the base type of damage; the issue here is having more than one type. Would you be okay with being able to switch between the two (e.g. 100% radiant vs 100% thunder), or would you have a 50-50 split? Or would you make it 100% both, in which case does someone need to be Resistant to both damage types to take half damage, or just one damage type?

Puddles

Adventurer
I think generally the most satisfying choices to give the player are tough choices, so I would say letting them switch between damage types sounds neat, but give it some drawback or requirement to make it a tough decision. Maybe they can only switch once per battle, or week, or until the next holy day. Maybe it takes up more spell slots than normal, or requires a higher level spell slot. Maybe there is a 'damage wheel' that details the elemental relationships of your setting and when they change to 1 type it makes them vulnerable to whatever is on the opposite of that wheel.

There are a million ways you could spin it, but just give it a drawback, so while the other players are taking their turns, the paladin is sat there tearing their hair-out because they really want to do x, but x will also mean y which is bad, but on the other hand doing x could save the day right now, or it could come back to bite me later - Argh, what to do!?

jgsugden

Legend
The easy solution here is to give them a Boon (see the DMG) that allows them to choose between the two, but has a finite lifespan (for the next month you can choose between)... Then renew it so long as they continue to please their God (and it doesn't prove problematic).

Remove ads