Palladium Announces New TMNT Kickstarter

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles TTRPG is back with new art in a pair of deluxe hardcovers.

TMNT-RPG-Promo.jpg

Palladium Books has announced the return of the official Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles roleplaying game. Out of print for decades, the 1985 game is coming back as a pair of full-colour hardcovers featuring new artwork. It will be hitting Kickstarter on October 31st and will also include miniatures, dice, and more. You can sign up to the pre-launch page here.

Westland, MI – October 13, 2023 – Palladium Books and Paramount Consumer Products have joined forces to reissue the ever-popular role-playing game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness.

The beloved, out-of-print Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles role-playing game and its sourcebooks are sought-after collector items that have enthralled generations since its release in 1985 as one of the first licensed TMNT products. They are returning to print as two deluxe hardcover collections of the RPG and sourcebooks. Each is being completely remastered by industry veteran Sean Owen Roberson and presented in full color, and Kevin Eastman, co-creator of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, will also provide a new painted cover.

Bonus material includes an array of new artwork, never before seen behind-the-scenes info and art, plus remembrances and tributes by renowned comic book and RPG creators including Eastman, Peter Laird, Freddie E. Williams II, Steven Cummings, Sophie Campbell, David Petersen and many more.

“This is incredibly exciting! I am 1000% onboard to help bring this historic and original TMNT Role Playing Game series back in a truly deluxe collector’s edition that will thrill original fans and open the door for new ones,” said Eastman. “I've made all my archives available for expanded behind-the-scenes content as well as a few top secret surprises you need to be part of. Stay tuned!”

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness Kickstarter

The Kickstarter campaign, launching October 31, 2023,
will offer a host of mind-blowing Kickstarter exclusives: TMNT miniatures based on the role-playing game, dice sets, variant book covers, art prints by legacy TMNT creatives, a card deck, and more, including special stretch goals to entice role-playing fans and TMNT fans alike. All products ship in 2024. To be among the first to hear about the entire exciting slate of releases, creators, exclusives and stretch goals to be unlocked with your support, be sure to go to the Kickstarter page and subscribe for updates.

Retreater

Legend
I mean, there's a market for it. And I'm not saying that anyone at Palladium has these ideals, you can certainly see how a setting like Rifts can appeal to a certain demographic. One of the default factions for PCs in Palladium Rifts is the Empire of Humanity, which basically have stormtroopers committing mass genocide against other species and in the text are connected to real 20th Century dictators.
Palladium is also a safe refuge. Their systems haven't been updated in decades. Their player base is entrenched in the system. I'd guess the idea of "modernizing" their setting, products, and system is threatening to them.

giant.robot

Adventurer
Except in the US, where their right to be «bleep»-«bleep»s and proud & loud about it is a guaranteed right provided it stops short of actually calling for or inciting action. Within the US, tolerance has to include all points of view, no matter how toxic, as a matter of law. Right up until they actually start acting upon those toxic ideas.
That's incorrect though. The 1st Amendment only covers the government and the abridgment of expression. It says nothing about the tolerance for toxic speech nor does it compel anyone to listen to or give forum to toxic speech. Because you and I have the freedom of expression we by extension have the freedom of association. Which means we have the freedom to not associate with toxic naughty words. We have no need to tolerate their behavior.

Edit: I'm not going to go on this topic in this thread. Sorry mods if this was inappropriate.

Julian Kay

RPG Freelancer
It's slated for a vague 2024. I would presume the main production delays would just be art production and licensing approvals, as Palladium's layout style is nearly as minimalist as they come and the books are already written. The main layout challenge would just be accounting for some of the tables and information cut-and-pasted from earlier books that didn't necessarily match the layout. Editing seems like it's just going to be copyediting, which is time-consuming but not particularly challenging.

It sounds like a simple project, depending on the amount of new art they're doing vs. old art, how much friction there is with the licensor, and how well the money is handled.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This thread is about TMNT not your views on US politics. For the record, this forum is not the place for your views on US politics.

Keovar

AKA Thanatos from NKL/NTL days.
Example of the basic BIO-E options.
I don't know about a wolf needing 3 growth steps to equal a human in mass, though.

Attachments

• BIO-E.PNG
    BIO-E.PNG
    389.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Wolf+Human.jpg
    Wolf+Human.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 45
  • Wolf+Husky.jpg
    Wolf+Husky.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 46

Julian Kay

RPG Freelancer
The original size rating scaling seems entirely arbitrary, given it jumps between 40 lbs. to 75 lbs. (difference of 35) to 100 lbs. (difference of 25) to 150 lbs. (difference of 50) to 175 (difference of 25). When I did Mutants in the Next, I aimed for a more consistent exponential scaling, so that grey wolves only differ by one "size rating" in that they're about half a human's weight on average.

It's even more puzzling than the XP table, which though consisting of strangely arbitrary numbers, is at least consistent in scaling the amount required upward every few levels.

Retreater

Legend
The original size rating scaling seems entirely arbitrary, given it jumps between 40 lbs. to 75 lbs. (difference of 35) to 100 lbs. (difference of 25) to 150 lbs. (difference of 50) to 175 (difference of 25). When I did Mutants in the Next, I aimed for a more consistent exponential scaling, so that grey wolves only differ by one "size rating" in that they're about half a human's weight on average.

It's even more puzzling than the XP table, which though consisting of strangely arbitrary numbers, is at least consistent in scaling the amount required upward every few levels.
Palladium was designed before math was invented.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads