• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paragon Path: Knight of the Vale

Appleseeth

First Post
I've got another paragon path here, ready for critiquing. The concept is this: a Knight that protects his allies from harm. They are also members of the court, so they must be trained in that as well. Mostly modeled on leader type paragon paths, mainly warlord.

Knight of the Vale

As you wish, my liege
Prerequisites: Knight of Dark Vale, trained in Diplomacy and Intimidate, Region: Kingdom of Dark Vale
Long years you have spent beside your liege, but you have since been called elsewhere. With great deeds you have been granted a great title, that of the Knight of the Vale. Now that you have gained great prestige, it is time to reflect the works of Dark Vale in your actions in combat as well as domestically. You are a Knight of the Vale, commanding the highest level of respect and honors from those who meet you.

Knight of the Vale Path Features

Considered Action (11th level): You can spend an action point to reroll any Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight or Intimidate check you make. You may take the higher of the two results.
Skillful Negotiator (11th level): You gain a +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate checks and no longer take the -5 penalty for trying to intimidate a creature whose language you do not speak.
Knight’s Presence (16th level): You and allies within 3 squares of you gain a bonus to damage rolls when making opportunity attacks equal to your Charisma modifier.

Knight of the Vale Path Powers

These powers share the same power source as that provided by the class that qualified you to enter this paragon path.

Guardian’s Strike Knight of the Vale Attack 11

You strike you opponent with such force as to limit their ability to attack anyone.
Encounter • Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Primary Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 2[W] + Strength modifier damage and the target takes a -2 penalty to attacks until the end of your next turn.

Oath of Deliverance Knight of the Vale Utility 12
As your enemy assaults your allies, you call them out, drawing them away from your friends.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction Ranged 5
Trigger: An ally within range is damaged by a melee attack from an enemy.
Effect: The enemy triggering this power is marked by you until the end of its next turn.

Defend the Crown Knight of the Vale Attack 20
You sweep the field of battle, positioning you and your allies to defend the weak and destroy your enemies.
Daily • Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage and each ally within 5 squares may shift a number of squares equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
Miss: Half damage and each adjacent ally can shift 1 square.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

chronoplasm

First Post
Oath of Deliverance is cool.
I like the premise. If I may throw an idea in there though?

Maybe when a marked enemy attacks an ally, you can make a Diplomacy check against that enemy to reduce its attack rolls for the rest of combat. When an enemy's attack rolls are reduced to 0, the enemy becomes pacified and you can now negotiate with that enemy to try and forge an alliance.

Appleseeth

First Post
Maybe when a marked enemy attacks an ally, you can make a Diplomacy check against that enemy to reduce its attack rolls for the rest of combat. When an enemy's attack rolls are reduced to 0, the enemy becomes pacified and you can now negotiate with that enemy to try and forge an alliance.

That's a lot of role-play stuff rolled up into one. I'm not sure if that really fits with the original premise of the power, or the path, well, a bit with the path. I think that, just rules wise, that's a much higher level power, especially if you consider it instantaneous alliance forging. I could certainly imagine one of my players, if they choose this path, to ask if they could do something like that, but maybe with a surrendered foe.

Again, the main reason I made this path was to give some rules heft to my Knights of Dark Vale in my campaign setting. I've got two more coming by the way.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads