• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paridon Book II: A Taste For Power (IC)

Tiali

First Post
Cliff steps forward. Cliff Hammerstriker at your service, mi'lord. He provides the local salute and steps back. I be new to this crew, so I will let them elaborate on what evidence we be havin' so far.

industrygothica

Adventurer
Darian takes off his hat as he enters the manor, revealing the thinning dark curls beneath. He extends the proper greeting, but lets someone else to the rest of the talking.

kinem

Adventurer
Father Berman bows as well. "May the blessing of Ezra be upon you, Lord D'Marosso. I am Father Berman. As for the murders, I believe we have captured or killed those responsible, though a few loose ends remain."

jkason

First Post
Ru Brike, barbaric human monk

Ru fixes the horse-masked carriage with a wary eye. "We should have sent someone to check Alek's cell," he mutters. Though somehow Ru doubts Alek is the type to go into hiding from the law.

At the manor, the opulance of the room slightly overwhelms the monk. Oddly enough, being in the presence of this Lord feels vaguely like his meetings with Alek: both seem to have an air of certain Superiority (whether Ru agreed to said superiority or not).

Taking a cue from his lessons with Gis, Ru chose to remain silent as he gathered his composure, bowing his greeting but allowing the good Father to take the lead in reporting on the case.

Theroc

First Post
Rhiannon stayed rather quiet on the carriage ride, not having anything to say. She did keep her eyes on Darian. The fact that her eyes strained everytime she looked directly at him made her curious, ad wary. She never usually had a problem looking someone in the eye, and the fact that she consistently had to look away from his gaze made her feel there was something more than simple presence of will or some such behind it.

When they entered the Manor, she blinked at the opulence the man seemed to exude. Wealth always made Rhia feel a bit uneasy, but it was just something she was unused to. As they entered Lord D'Morasso's presence, she bowed politely but remained quiet, watching.

Calahan grins broadly as they enter the noble house. This is the kind of thing he would want to achieve in life...

...Though the wench at the door could have been younger...

Rhun

First Post
Skyler notes the tendency of the original team members to be fairly quiet. He didn't know much about the original case yet, but it was his duty to inform Lord D'Marosso of any knowledge he had. "Father Berman is correct; there are some loose ends to tie up. Most notably a drug created by the criminal Alek, which seems to be a most potent aphrodisiac. We would like to make sure this substance is taken off the street. But we must also ensure that Alek is brought to justice, though it is my hope that the evidence against him is ironclad."

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
The judge smiles widely. "Very good, it is wonderful to meet you all. Yes, we'll definitely have to go over the details of the case... I understand that the evidence is hard to come by."

A younger woman appears in the doorway. "Lunch is served, your honor."

51064674_5261cc3cf9.jpg

Lunch is served.

Lord D'Marosso tosses a quick glance to Calahan and gathers up some documents on the table. "Thank you, Camilla! We'll discuss the particulars over lunch! Come!"

A pair of double doors are opened, revealing a feast laid before everyone.

feast_table.jpg

The lunch is filled with many delectables.

The tables are overflowing with fruit, meats, cheeses, and drinks. In the center of the table sits a chest.

"I've looked over some of the details so far, and the case looks difficult. The main source of evidence to date, Alek's manor, was burned to the ground by some killing machine. The most cooperative witness is the builder of that machine, presently in custody for multiple counts of murder, with a big grudge agianst him. He wants to kill the suspect. A good solicitor will bar him from even testifying. To be honest, your case is weak, almost too weak to go to trial. It could simply be the Strahd Street Irregulars. It could be his, er, 'pets' are the guilty ones, while Alek remains clean. And the accusations of a confessed killer? No, that is a simple brutality, a terrible weakness. No, I'm afraid that this case, as is, can only result in Alek's freedom."

Lord D'Marosso stops and smiles. "However, you've already done plenty for the city. So, I'm willing to share something with you. Something that not even your boss could handle. But if you've the stomach for it, you'll have what you want."

Gustav goes over to the chest, and opens it. Inside, there is a large quantity of ice, and four eels.

eel.jpg

The contents of the chest.

"These are Saragossan delicacies, designed to be eaten still alive. I will grant a boon to whomever is willing to enjoy an eel. I have a lot of connections in the city. You could ask for a personal insight, some item of value, an unfortunate event, what you ask for is up to you."

[sblock=credits]
Photos from Marlene Bruce, GustavoG, and RealClearSports.
[/sblock]

jkason

First Post
Ru Brike, barbaric human monk

While Ru had expected a visit to the magistrate to test his intestinal fortitude, he hadn't expected such a test to be quite so literal. A lawmaker who based his favor on stunts such as this wasn't someone Ru trusted. For a rare instant, however, both his disciplined self and his raw primal aspect seemed in agreement: if anyone could pass this test, it ought to be him.

He didn't speak, wishing he had Gis' gift for reading people, to know what else might be at work here, but second guessing only ever managed to put Ru in a loop, so he threw it aside.

With the sparest of bows, Ru walked forward silently, snatched an eel, and bit off its head, willing his self-control to maintain his composure even as his natural blood-lust thrilled at the prospect of a fresh kill.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads