• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Partial Class Feats

Yunru

Banned
Banned
AKA The Multiclass-lite.

Each of these is designed to give a taste of another class, while not stealing it's thunder. They should also enhance a class' potential if they take the feat that matches their class.

Anger Point:
Once per day you may make use of the Barbarian's Rage feature.
While raging, your melee weapon attacks deal an additional 2 damage.

Expertise:
Expertise in two skills your proficient in, or one you're not.

Apostle:
Requires 13 Wis
Choose a Cleric's Domain. You gain access to that Domain's level 2 feature, and use of the Cleric's Channel Divinity feature. Once you use Channel Divinity this way, you can't do so again until you finish a long or short rest.

Beast Form:
Requires 13 Wis
You may use the Druid's Wild Shape ability. If you do this way, you can't do so again until you finish a short or long rest.
You count as having two extra levels of Druid for the purposes of the Wildshape feature.

Martial Adept:
You have martial training that allows you to perform special combat maneuvers. You gain the following benefits:
• You learn one maneuver of your choice from among those available to the Battle Master archetype in the fighter class. If a maneuver you use requires your target to make a saving throw to resist the maneuver’s effects, the saving throw DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier (your choice).
• If you already have superiority dice, you gain two more; otherwise, you have two superiority die, which is a d6. This die is used to fuel your maneuvers. A superiority die is expended when you use it. You regain your expended superiority dice when you finish a short or long rest.

Ki Training:
Requires 13 Wis
You gain the Monk's Ki feature if you don't already have it, and get additional Ki Points equal to your Proficiency modifier. These Ki Points replenish whenever you finish a long or short rest.

Metamagic Initiate:
Requires 13 Cha, the ability to cast a spell
You have magical understanding that allows you to perform special tricks with your spells. You gain the following benefits:
• You learn one metamagic option of your choice from among those available to the Sorcerer. If a metamagic option you use requires your target to make a saving throw to resist the maneuver’s effects, the saving throw DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.
• You gain Sorcery Points equal to your proficiency, and your maximum number of Sorcery Points increases by the same amount. You regain your expended Sorcery Points when you finish a long rest.

Pact Form:
You gain a Warlock cantrip of your choice. Charisma is your casting stat for this spell.
Additionally, you gain a single Warlock Invocation of your choice. If the invocation requires your to expend a spell slot of 1st level, you need not.

Last edited:

BenKester

First Post
There's a reason most of these are level 2 or 3 features. Because they are so powerful. The metamagic initiate tops the chart. I wouldn't give more than 3 SPs, and even then it's nice especially for sorcerers. Yours steals the sorcerers thunder and gives everyone the same SPs as a sorcerer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app

Yunru

Banned
Banned
There's a reason most of these are level 2 or 3 features. Because they are so powerful. The metamagic initiate tops the chart. I wouldn't give more than 3 SPs, and even then it's nice especially for sorcerers. Yours steals the sorcerers thunder and gives everyone the same SPs as a sorcerer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app

That you for that well thought out argument, with plenty of comparisons and clear breakdowns of where things... well, breakdown.

To address your first point in an equal manner:
There's a reason feats cost an ASI. Because they are so powerful.

To address metamagic specifically:
A Sorcerer's metamagic is not the sum of it's Sorcery Points. The Sorcerer can convert spell slots into Sorcery Points, giving far more than you account for. Additionally, the Sorcerer gets to choose far more metamagic options than the feat offers, and thus it's quite impossible for the feat to steal the Sorcerer's thunder. Everyone could Quicken, but only the Sorcerer could Quicken and/or Empower, Twin or Heighten (to name but one example).

Re: the number of Sorcery Points the number is a little high, and I was (and still am) heavily torn between 2* and the listed 3*. The Sorcerer gets 1 point per level (ppl), while at 3* the feat offers 0.75 ppl. Lowering it to 2* means only 0.5 ppl. Although at lower levels proficiency starting at 2 is an issue.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Well, they seem clearly stronger than most existing feats. Probably comparable to GWM or sharpshooter, I'd guess. Don't know if that would break anything; might make humans too good?

For the warlock one, I guess you need to say what the casting stat will be.

BenKester

First Post
What makes a sorcerer a sorcerer? He's got fewer spells learned than any other full caster, no ritual casting. Druids get access to all their spells and can switch between every day. Wizards complain they are weak if they only get to learn twice as many spells as sorcerers. The sorcerer's baseline is easily the weakest of all the full casters.

So what does he get to make up for it? Metamagic.

And with one feat, anyone can get about the same number of sorcery points as a sorcerer, even a level 20 sorcerer?

Let's compare that to other feats that grant magic:
Magic Initiate: 2 cantrips and 1 cast of a 1st level spell. A little flexibility, but not much oomph. You're getting less than a 1st level dip so you can continue with your main class.
Ritual Caster: 2 1st level rituals, potential for more. 13 WIS/INT is MAD for many classes. Also, less than a 1st level dip.

That's it. Those two feats are the baseline against which other magic granting feats are measured. If feats are stronger than both of these, they will definitely be considered OP.
Is Metamagic Initiate more powerful than these? It freaking blows them out of the water. Rather than a less-than-one-level-dip, it's a full-strength main ability that scales to level 20.
Let's put it this way. If UA put out a feat that granted one MM ability and 3 SPs, the sorcerer lovers would throw a fit. That would be heighten 1x/long rest or quicken 1x or reroll damage 3x or subtle spell 3x or twin 3x low level spells. Plenty to give you a feel of the class. Sorcerers would complain that you're stealing their thunder, until they realize how amazing an extra MM and 3 SPs are for them to take.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Well, they seem clearly stronger than most existing feats. Probably comparable to GWM or sharpshooter, I'd guess. Don't know if that would break anything; might make humans too good?

For the warlock one, I guess you need to say what the casting stat will be.

Thanks!

I hoped for them not to be, but some classes (such as the Sorcerer) don't have much to go on. I didn't include anything from the Fighter actual, for instance, because it was either Second Wind (which I felt too weak), or Action Surge (which I felt far too strong).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
So what does he get to make up for it?
The ability to create Spell Slots, the ability to convert Spell Slots into Sorcery Points, the ability to have a range of Metamagic options for their spells, plus whatever their subclass gets them.

And with one feat, anyone can get about the same number of sorcery points as a sorcerer, even a level 20 sorcerer?
Nope.

Let's compare that to other feats that grant magic:
Magic Initiate: 2 cantrips and 1 cast of a 1st level spell. A little flexibility, but not much oomph. You're getting less than a 1st level dip so you can continue with your main class.
2 cantrips and a 1st level spell from any of the full-caster classes. Less specific, thus less powerful.
Ritual Caster: 2 1st level rituals, potential for more. 13 WIS/INT is MAD for many classes. Also, less than a 1st level dip.
Wrong on so many levels. 13 Wis/Int is hardly MAD for any class that isn't a Gish or needing to meet multiclassing requirements. Additionally the ability to cast a (theoretical at the moment) 9th level ritual is "Less than a 1st level dip"? When you have to take 17 levels in a caster class to get it otherwise?

That's it. Those two feats are the baseline against which other magic granting feats are measured.
Also wrong. All the other feats are what other magic granting feats are measured by. There is no difference between a magic granting feat and a martial feat, except one has the word magic.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Actually, if I were you I'd just make a rule that a variant human can't take any of these at level 1 with his racial trait. Doesn't seem right to give a level 1 character access to a level 2 feature. Wouldn't matter for long but still.

BenKester

First Post
Viscous Mockery is an attack cantrip. You can spam it as much as you want. But, like your typical NPC, I only work with characters who aren't hostile.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Viscous Mockery is an attack cantrip. You can spam it as much as you want. But, like your typical NPC, I only work with characters who aren't hostile.
I'm sorry, are you saying you have no response to my logical pointing out the flaws in your rant?

Remove ads