Party Leader(s)?

Dieter

First Post
Well...

It's been my experience that I've been nominated de facto party leader simply because I'm a pretty good facilitator and because I have a short attention span in regards to in-character banter.

My common phrases are:

"Ok, fine...let's go then."
"Since no one can decide, we're going left/west/up"
"(insert DM/GM's name, I'm shooting/stabbing the boss in the head"

I'd say may foolhearty heroics have paid off at least 80-90% of time, besides...it usually throws the GM/DM for a loop when I blurt out rash decisions. :)

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
One of my friends dives into the spotlight in games and often ends up being de facto leader, partly because he is rash and attempts to monopolize the DMs attention.

When I'm DMing, I want the game to be for everybody and I attempt to give opportunities for each of the players that are tailored to them. So while the leader wizard may go up to the ship captain to make arrangements, I might have the roguish character notice where the captains log is kept, (knowing he might decide to sneak in later to read it).

As a player I've been a de facto leader a number of times but it has varied depending on the group, the character I'm playing and the situation.

For instance, In one game I played an oligarcichal merchant prince type character. At one point half the party worked for me directly. My character had developed a subtle behind the scenes type of style so I normally didn't push things and just capitalized on what was going on without directing things. However, when needed, I could say "We are doing this." and half the party would say "your the boss" or "yes milord" and the other half I would normally convince one way or the other.

Steven McRownt

First Post
In my seldom appearance as a player i do often plat rhe role of the leader. Sometimes -for some roleplying reasons- i just tend to isolate my character (i once played a LE necromancer in a Good group in Dragonlance, and of course he was not siuted at all for the role, but i acted as a wise sage, even if their ideas of wisdom were just my character way to reach his personal goals), but undoubtlely the other player see in my characters a sort of guide.

I think that cames from the idea of experience. When i'm DMing is a dwarf fighter very low in charisma who is in charge, even if he tries to let the other players discuss before actually take some decision (sometimes in open contrast with the general consensus of the party!!!!).

But we are a small group divided by experience in RPGs. We're actually five (sometimes arrive a sixth one, always different who tries to join, but until now without success): the dwarf and i are the players with more than 10 years (now almost 15) of experience. Then there's is a player with a couple of years of gaming. The other two just started at last autumn. For those two, who are still learning how the RpG mechanics and "magic" work, it is still too early to see them leading a group, even if i started to encourage them, splitting the group and let those two find a way themselves.

Steven McRownt

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
So...

Are we suggesting, in an off hand way, that it might be a good idea for the player who will likely take the leadership role, to also design their character to fit that role? Even if we aren't talking about one particular character type, is it possible that the DM should place them in the social or political position that best suits the leader-type? Is it better to just let all of the chips fall where they may and hope for the best (or simply enjoy the, possibly, new combinations)?

Dr. Confoundo

First Post
Mark said:
Are we suggesting, in an off hand way, that it might be a good idea for the player who will likely take the leadership role, to also design their character to fit that role? Even if we aren't talking about one particular character type, is it possible that the DM should place them in the social or political position that best suits the leader-type? Is it better to just let all of the chips fall where they may and hope for the best (or simply enjoy the, possibly, new combinations)?

I've encountered situations where the person who most wanted the leadership role was also the person least qualified for it. Some were in it only for themselves, and didn't care about the other players' enjoyment; others were great people, but just didn't have the personal charisma to pull it off.

Doc

Fade

First Post
We aren't particularly cohesive as a group, except that we're united in not doing what a certain guy suggests.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
There are some people who just can't play out of type.

I've got one player who I'm seriously considering requiring all his PCs have a minimum of 12 Charisma. The player is simply not capable of being anything but a constant smooth talking chatter box. To be fair to the other players I should require him to have at a minimum a CHA score higher than anyone else in the group; but doing so would be too severe. However in play no matter what he does make that is exactly how it turns out.

Likewise there are some people who as players assume a leadership role even when they've made a character who shouldn't. Or even worse when the group refuses the leadership of a PC who should have it according to the PC because they don't like structure as players or don't see that PC's player as a leader of them 'outside of the game'.

In situations like this you either railroad a player's character choices or you just accept that there will be some serious meta gaming going on.

Last edited:

Remove ads