D&D 5E Passive Perception better than Active Perception?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
It sounds like quite a number of you don't like the idea of general natural awareness of your surroundings. And some of it seems to stem out of having characters with really high passive perceptions and not wanting to have "insta-win" sensory perception. I can see that. I don't particularly agree with it (because for my money if you spent the character build points to get there, who am I to deliberately try and stop you just because it's not "fun" for me to be unable to surprise you).

But this is why the perception rules (and stealth for that matter) are written how they are... so that all of us can take the most basic rules they give us and then expand them out to... essentially run them how we were going to rule and run them regardless of what was written down in the book. There's really no worthwhile point in them writing the most comprehensive and meticulous rules for perception and stealth in the book when 90% of the playerbase was going to end up running the rules how they wanted to anyway.

But to get all up Crawford's back because what their intention was for how you extended out these most basic rules does not match up with how you were ruling them, is in my opinion rather silly. "Oh no! How I extended out these basic rules for perception and stealth is not how Crawford says they intended the basic rules to be extended out as!" Big shock. But if you already have your own rules in place, it beats me why you're bothering to read Sage Advice anyway since you have no need for the intentions of the rules. All you're doing is getting yourself mad because Crawford doesn't believe in the same game you do.

That being said... my complete rules on Perception and Investigation are as follows:

Passive Perception and Passive Investigation both use Wisdom.
Active Perception and Active Investigation both use Intelligence.

Perception is to notice all living and/or moveable creatures that are trying to hide from you. Anything that would make a DEX (Stealth) check to set the DC for you to notice them.

Investigation is to notice all non-living objects, traps, doors etc. that require someone else at some previous point in time to have to mask the object to avoid being seen. There's no DEX (Stealth) check to set a DC. Usually for these hidden objects I'll either just set a DC that I think makes sense, or I might even make an INT or DEX (Deception) check for that random person in the past that tried to mask that secret door, or cover over that trap, or hide that set of keys etc. and that becomes the DC.

A creature's normal Passive number is 10 + WIS mod + proficiency bonus if proficient.

If the creature is distracted or doing something else, then they have disadvantage on their Passive check. Disadvantage gives a -5. Thus, a creature's distracted Passive number is 5 + WIS mod + proficiency bonus if proficient.

If a creature is Observant, then they have advantage on their Passive check. Advantage gives a +5. Thus, a creature's Passive number is 15 + WIS mod + proficiency bonus if proficient (or 10 if they are distracted, as the adv and disadv cancel out.)

(Yes, I know someone will say that the +5 bonus granted to someone with the Observant feat is not specifically stated as being from Advantage, and thus Observant and having Advantage, say, from Aid Another, should stack. Which to me explains why you're getting such absurdly high passive scores. But personally, I think you're absolutely insane if you aren't treating the +5 from the feat as having advantage on a passive check, seeing as how advantage on a passive check just so coincidentally grants you the same +5 as the feat. It doesn't state it outright... but as far as I'm concerned, Observant grants you advantage on passive perception and investigation checks.)

At all times people have a general sense of what is going on around them, even if they aren't actively looking for something, even if they are doing something else. They hear things in the background, they smell things, they notice movements out of the corners of their eyes. This is all their Passive scores (for both Perception and Investigation.) And the Passive will be '5 +' if distracted, '10 +' for normal action or '15 +' for normal action of an Observant person.

If you are trying to hide from someone or trying to disguise some object from being noticed... you better be good enough to get your check over their Passive number. Because for my money, hiding effectively from being noticed from a whole heap of people is much more difficult than just having a general sense of what's going on around you. Which is why 'perceiving' someone gets the "free" roll of 10 on their passive check, while the person hiding has to actually roll and possibly roll poorly. In my game, hiding from someone is harder than noticing someone hiding.

If by some chance some has hidden themselves really well or they designed that secret door so well that when the group people walk into the area and they don't notice them right away (because their passive perception/investigation were too low to notice them... at that point a PC who states they are going to actually look around will then roll an active Perception or Investigation check (using their INT, rather than WIS) in hopes of rolling over a 10 (or over a 5/15 if they had disadv/adv on their passive check.) Rolling under a 10 doesn't matter because their passive number had already been taken into account when they just arrived. But if they roll over a 10, then they have a chance of now seeing the creature/object because they actually actively found them.

>>>

And this is all from how I extended out the rules for perception and stealth based upon all the small rules here and there throughout the book on how to run these things. Others will have their own interpretation and extensions, and there's a chance they won't agree with Crawford's intention. Which is fine! Do what you want. I completely ignore his intention on Barkskin for example because I think the rule as written and extended is dumb. But I don't have any issue with Jeremy for having told us what the intention was in Sage Advice. I just choose to ignore it. :)

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
It sounds like quite a number of you don't like the idea of general natural awareness of your surroundings.

I'm not getting that from anyone's posts at all. Just because a character's passive Perception doesn't apply in certain situations (per the rules) doesn't mean the PC isn't aware of the surroundings. He or she is just not aware of that lurking monster over there or the trap he or she is walking into because the character chose to perform some other valuable task. The player made a choice knowing the risks. The character is otherwise aware of the surroundings.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

Ahh...the old "Perception" bugaboo! ;)

My Rules:

Perception lets you say "Hey guys! Right next to that book case is a secret door!"
Investigation lets you say "...and if you push in the Blue Book and pull out the Red Book, it will open".

In short, "Perception" is to notice something...but not necessarily understand the significance or reason. Passive is just that...you're doing something else when "something" occurs; maybe you will notice, maybe you won't, it's all up to your Passive Perception. For example, ever watch those videos/TV shows that talk about human perception of their surroundings? Where they have a guy performing a magic trick on the street corner? And at the end of the video they ask "So did you notice the guy in the pink panda suit walk by?"...<-- that would be Passive Perception (apparently I have a very high Passive Perception... :) ).

Active Perception is when you know you are looking for something, but not sure what, when or where. "Here is a guy doing a magic trick. Keep an eye out for the pink panda...". Maybe the pink panda isn't a guy in a suit...maybe it's a logo on a childs backpack, or a type of soft drink with a pink panda on it, or maybe it's the words "Pink Panda" that flash on a billboard in the back ground. You either notice it or you don't...but you are "keeping your eye out" for anything that could be considered a "pink panda".

Investigation is when you've already found the secret door location and now you have to figure out how it opens. Or you've been told there is an easter egg hidden in this 30'x50' banquette hall and you have to find it.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
(Also for [MENTION=7006]DEFCON 1[/MENTION])
Rather than an example, a general principle: I use Passive Perception against other's rolls, but Perception checks against static DCs. There is then no need to sweat each time to decide what to use.

The only decision I typically need to make is, when rolling, whether the player rolls in the open or I roll for her secretly.

Okay, so if a player tells you his/her character is staying alert while travelling and the party encounters a hidden creature, you compare the character's passive Perception score to the creature's DEX (Stealth) check, but if the party encounters a trap with a set DC, you ask the player for a WIS (Perception) roll to notice it (or roll secretly for the player)?

It seems like such an approach somewhat arbitrarily changes the character's effectiveness in noticing different kinds of threats.

5ekyu

Hero
Okay, so if a player tells you his/her character is staying alert while travelling and the party encounters a hidden creature, you compare the character's passive Perception score to the creature's DEX (Stealth) check, but if the party encounters a trap with a set DC, you ask the player for a WIS (Perception) roll to notice it (or roll secretly for the player)?

It seems like such an approach somewhat arbitrarily changes the character's effectiveness in noticing different kinds of threats.
In my games, the PC is always the active roller and the NPC threat is always static - for all checks.

Keeps it consistent.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
God how I wish Wizards had chosen another word than “passive”! :)

Edit: I think the term I came up with a while back was “constant”...

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend

It changes nothing.

The entire game is arbitrary. The DM can decide what the PC encounter, and what DCs are needed, if a roll is even needed at all. At the end of it, the rolling method is but a slight twist compared to everything else.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm not getting that from anyone's posts at all. Just because a character's passive Perception doesn't apply in certain situations (per the rules) doesn't mean the PC isn't aware of the surroundings. He or she is just not aware of that lurking monster over there or the trap he or she is walking into because the character chose to perform some other valuable task. The player made a choice knowing the risks. The character is otherwise aware of the surroundings.

If a character is unable to notice something at all regardless of how badly the thing is hidden merely because they are doing something else at the time... to my mind they aren't aware of their general surroundings.

I can read a book or type at my computer and still hear people walk up behind me. I don't need to stop reading or typing in order to "listen" to hear those people coming. I might not be great at it because my focus is elsewhere (thus the disadvantage on the passive perception)... but at least there's still a chance. Especially if the idiot rolled a '3' on their stealth check.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
In my games, the PC is always the active roller and the NPC threat is always static - for all checks.

Keeps it consistent.

I don't think that would work for me. I like that I can use a passive check to make a check secretly in a situation where there's hidden information, like a hidden monster the party doesn't know about.

It changes nothing.

The entire game is arbitrary. The DM can decide what the PC encounter, and what DCs are needed, if a roll is even needed at all. At the end of it, the rolling method is but a slight twist compared to everything else.

I don't think it's arbitrary. The rules of D&D are there to give structure to our make-believe. I wouldn't like a game that was all about the DM's whims and in what arbitrary direction the DM thinks the fiction should go.

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If a character is unable to notice something at all regardless of how badly the thing is hidden merely because they are doing something else at the time... to my mind they aren't aware of their general surroundings.

I don't see how that is necessarily so. They're aware of some of their surroundings, but not all of it. If you turn your attention to particular tasks, your passive Perception doesn't apply to noticing hidden threats. That's straight out of the rules. A DM might describe the foreboding hills through which the PCs are traveling, the immediate surroundings, and the basic scope of options that present themselves. He or she might then describe the stealthy gnolls leaping out from behind craggy rocks with a gleeful cackle. It's just now those who weren't staying alert to danger are surprised while those who are staying alert have a chance to avoid being surprised.

I can read a book or type at my computer and still hear people walk up behind me. I don't need to stop reading or typing in order to "listen" to hear those people coming. I might not be great at it because my focus is elsewhere (thus the disadvantage on the passive perception)... but at least there's still a chance. Especially if the idiot rolled a '3' on their stealth check.

I don't find arguments like this very convincing when discussing a game with rules that is set in a fantasy world. Arguments based on rules, on the other hand, I do find convincing.

Remove ads