• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 2E Pathfinder 2E's reception?

I think you are correct it occupies the complexity vs simplicity model between PF1 & 5e; however, it is how and where on that spectrum that some take issue with.

Oh sure -- everyone will have their opinion. But I think the important point is that there is space between them for a game to thrive in, which explains PF2's current success. I also tend to think there isn't room for any additional games in that space, so I doubt we'll see anyone try. But people are endlessly inventive. I'm not placing money on that bet.

JeffB

Legend
My favorite D&D version is 13th Age because I like the way the designers tie the core elements of D&D with modern sensibilities that focus on narrative. It's the "D&D for people who lean to narrative".

Me three. Also my fave version of D&D- at least modern D&D.

At the moment a lot of people are still committed to PF1 and so that community is still large, but over time my expectation is that those people will move to PF2 rather than 5E, as it's closer to what they want. PF2 is never going to be the "instant lightning" of 5E, which benefited from being the first new version of D&D that wasn't super-gamist since 2000, released at the same instant that nerd culture became cool. It's an evolution, and so adoption of it, as a previous comment mentioned "a slow burn"

I agree with you about who PF2 was designed for- but is this a big enough segment to keep Paizo and PF viable in this extremely competitive "Tier 2" market they now find themselves in-especially as a "slow burn"? How much revenue loss/drop can they sustain as the PF1 community remains entrenched in what was already sold to them, and they wait for their PF2 target audience to come forward and embrace it and give them the slow steady burn? That's the real issue.

teitan

Legend
I’ve been saying it’s going to be a slow burn for a few months and stand by that. With Paizo still releasing the pocket editions of 1e stuff they have a split market for Pathfinder because people are buying materials they may not have bought with the higher price tag, they reduced the buy in for PF1 by HALF so it is an easier casual buy for someone freshly interested in RPGs looking for a way in. Give it a year or two after that line ends and I think we will see an uptick in P2 players as people start looking into more robust rpgs or different experiences. I think it’s a decent success right now. It is the no. 2 rpg. D&D is a monster right now so comparing them is like comparing a 900 lbs gorilla to King Kong and Pathfinder is a 900 lbs gorilla. I don’t see them making the same mistakes White Wolf did and losing their customers.

dave2008

Legend
Oh sure -- everyone will have their opinion. But I think the important point is that there is space between them for a game to thrive in, which explains PF2's current success.
But is it successful? Thus far in my area it seems to be much less successful. I tried to find a game for the first few months after it came out, but I couldn't. My local FLGS has almost completely turned their back on it (after being huge PF1 supporters). This forum seems less active, the core book is #5190 on amazon (vs #45 PHB which is 5 years old or XGtE at #273 which is 2 yrs old). I know paizo says it is doing well, but I haven't seen the evidence. I hope they are right.

CapnZapp

Legend
My intention of the phrase was that it won't hit the same spot again. No luck- just that everything came together in a way unlikely to happen again to ensure that kind of massive success.
Yes, but just because "it won't hit the same spot again" doesn't mean Paizo should have just given up their position as the premiere satellite revolving around WotC's 500 pound gorilla.

I know Paizo desperately wanted to get rid of their dependency on WotC. From a corporate viewpoint it makes sense to not rely on a competitor.

I also know that every ttrpg publisher outside WotC's shadow is an exceedingly small and obscure player. The corporate thinking doesn't exactly serve such a tiny niche market like ours... Paizo needed to realize that the only reason for their relative size and success is because they've suckled the D&D teat.

If Paizo had strived to publish a game relevant to 5E sensibilities they might not have succeeded. They might even have irritated WotC so much the gorilla had rolled over to squash the parasite (=reconsidered their glacial publishing pace and issued an Advanced Dungeons & Dragons themselves).

But this way me and every other crunch-starved gamer would have been a winner either way :)

And nobody can say this would have been a riskier approach for Paizo, considering that I'm having trouble imagining a publishing decision more risky than the one that led to PF2. 😮

But is it successful? Thus far in my area it seems to be much less successful. I tried to find a game for the first few months after it came out, but I couldn't.

Sorry to hear it; where I am it is more popular than PF1. My son is running a campaign and playing in two others; there were more tables of PF2 than PF1 at the last con I went to (which was previously an all-pathfinder 1 con, then added 5E, then added PF2). But, anecdotal evidence, of course

darjr

I crit!
Folks, 5000 sales rank on Amazon IS doing well. Look at the very next RPG. It’s 20thousand plus.

Are they doing as well as they did with PF1 at its height? I dint think so, nor do I think they are doing as good as they were just before the drop at D&Ds latest release. But that may not matter at all.

Can it support a fan base and a successful RPG company? Absolutely! Is it? I believe what Paizo has said.

Retreater

Legend
I ran my first real session of PF2 last weekend, starting the Age of Ashes campaign. It's still too early to tell, but I have some predictions how my players will take to it.
It's a novelty. They'll be clamoring for the simplicity of 5e within a few sessions. Even though I'm trying to be a little "fast and loose" with the rules, there are still too many rules for my new players. I don't expect it to have staying power in my group.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads