Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide Preview

BryonD

Hero
Any extra smite feat for paladins?
There is no feat called "Extra Smite", and a quick pdf search seems to indicate that it isn't hidden under another name.

There is a magic item that gives +4 paladin levels for smite, which would include an extra smite per day (2 on a few levels)

IronWolf

blank
The APG was available for public, non-subscriber consumption yesterday. I bought the PDF and the hardback is winging (er, well, probably not winging) its way to me supposedly. I've only had a chance to look over the hero points section so far briefly, hope to get some more reading in over the weekend!

pawsplay

Hero
It looks good, overall. While I think A Fistful of Denarii still stands on its own, I was glad I published it before the APG. New archery and crossbow options, a spy variant for the Rogue, some animal companion options, and so forth go a long way to round out the options in the rulebook. They also made the Zen Archer work as a monk variant, which I gave up on myself. Kudos for that.

The Cavalier, Oracle, and Alchemist all look better than the playtest versions; the Summoner is still weird and I'm not sure how it would play. The Alchemist actually has some cool now; I thought the original was a little zany about the bomb-throwing and all that, the final version allows more variation, everything from a pyro bomb-thrower to a quasi-immortal philosopher. The Master Chymist is an amusing magepunk touch, that allows you to be Jekyll/Hyde, or for that matter, the Nutty Professor.

The human favored Sorcerer ability still boggles my mind; even at the new currency, it's half a feat per level. I think what makes it playable is how soft it is for the first three levels. Some of the other favored class stuff I find weird, like race X willl get an extra skill point for pet A and an extra hit point for pet B, and race Y will get the opposite.

Traits are kind of cool, but since they have the effect of decreasing portability between campaigns, they kind of stink for publishers unless you are publishing a campaign arc. Conversely, alternate racial traits are really great as you can create lots of regional variations or campaign variations in a race without worrying about mucking up balance or having to restat everything too much.

Kaiyanwang

First Post
What pawsplay sayd. Copypasted, in a disturbing manner! :)

Something to add:

The alternative class features alone are worthy the book. I found pure gold in the fighter, barbarian and rogue ones. I'm just concerned by a Wizard features that let you increase your ability scores too much (IMO).

Feats, are quite good. There are few masterpieces, and few trublesome one. Maybe less inspired than the alternative class features for core class, but integrate these fairly well.

I like the fact that a lot of spells have an elemental theme (they put in the book rules for elemental mages, too) that reminds me oriental Adventures casters (not an oriental theme per se, but those casters were a lot element-focused). Few Druid/ranger spells seem to steal the spotlight to the fighter, I hope I'm wrong.

Overeall, the quality of the product is very high. This stroke me - it's like 4 Completes, a little bit of the Arms&Equipment Gude, and little goods from other 2-3 race (Race of..) books, ALL IN ONE BOOK.

Remove ads