• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide Preview

TanisFrey

First Post
Hmm. I remember seeing and using the feat, but I don't recall where I saw it. I'd recommend LM, Heroes of Horror, and Magic of Faerun as my first guesses though, looking at my bookshelf.
I thought it was in LM but no luck, Not in Magic nor Monsters of Faerun either. I don't have Heroes of Horror
In Pathfinder, undead get +Cha to HP by default. No need for feats.
I have suggested the system change, but the DM wants to run a high-level (13 start) set in Forgotten Realms, he wants to stick with 3.5.
Oh. As Gorbacz Said.

I assumed when you were talkign about 3.5 feats you were going slightly off topic into a tangent about a 3.5 game.
I did not mean to hijack the thread.

I am preparing a 9th level cleric lich of Mystra, human LG. (13th level after adjustment from lich.) Originally from Netheril, with lots of craft feats plus Leadership and the one I can't find. I plan on playing it as an undead, clerical version of Elminster. She would be higher level if so many magical items floating around the Anauroch desert and surrounding regions.

BryonD

Hero
Now that I've had the book for a couple days.....

I stand by what I said. And it is a real shame, to me, that they chose that item as preview #1.

BUT.... It looks to be a very minor matter because...

THE BOOK IS GREAT.

:)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Ok, I skimmed through it last night.

A lot of good stuff in there.

However, I still think the new base classes make better NPCs/adversaries than PCs. None of the classes interested me from a player point of view, but as a DM, I see great potential in them....

Steel_Wind

Legend
What cool things does it offer the Paladin? THat's what I'm going to be playing soon so that's what I'm interested in now! :D

Off the top of my head?

Blaze of Glory: Paladin automatically is healed to -1 and is stabilized, all allies within 30 feet healed 1d6 per 2 levels, all evil adversaries damaged 1d6 per two levels (save for half) is pretty cool. Essentially a positive energy burst which both heals and harms.

Also cool is a new contingency style spell which heals the Paladin as an immediate action as the Paladin falls unconscious. I'm down? Nope: I'm back up! :) Essentially, an extremely useful "you can't kill me" spell. I think this one may prove to be significantly overpowered in practice, tbh. A massive blow from a dragon or some other catastrophic damage can still kill the Paladin, but ordinary armed combat? Especially considering the Paladin will have a high constitution for some extra "cushion" if brought into the negatives? Nope. A mid to high level Paladin is now exceedingly hard to kill.

Mind you, an 8th level plus Paladin, charisma and strength buffed + hasted, is going to be giving better than its getting against most huge monstrous things capable of doing significant melee damage in one blow. Evil dragons who fight Paladins toe-to-toe are soon-to-be dead, evil dragons. Smite evil (and Aura of Justice) still rock the Bad Guys' World. Add in a bonded weapon at 8th level? = Dead dragon.

Undead? Even a high level lich or other powerful high CR undead is unlikely to survive going toe-to-toe against a hasted 8th level + Paladin. Just too many Will saves against disruption to make successfully. Fail that roll even once and the Lich/Vampire/Other Undead is just so much dust in the wind. Give that Paladin enough attacks? Even a lich will fail its save, too. It's only a matter of time.

Is there power creep in the APG? Damn right there is. Is it fun? Yup, sure is. That's the inherent contradiction in all of these expansion rules.

Last edited:

Kaiyanwang

Explorer
I am tempted to ask about rogues and fighters, but in top of my head.. our most urgent case...

Are there interesting rage powers or ACF for the barbarian? :)

Remove ads