• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Bestiary - Discussion

Gnome

First Post
Actually, Combat Reflexes has never had a prerequisite, not in 3.0, not in 3.5, and not in Pathfinder.

Funny! I wonder why everyone seems to remember it having one? I guess it really doesn't need a prereq since it is self-limiting. Not much point in taking it if your DEX is below 12, although I suppose you can still get an AoO while you are flat-footed.

Gnome

First Post
I am confused about the skeleton's damage with their "broken scimitar". Shouldn't this be 1d6+2 instead of 1d6?

Remathilis

Legend
I am confused about the skeleton's damage with their "broken scimitar". Shouldn't this be 1d6+2 instead of 1d6?

Nope.

prd said:
Broken: Items that have taken damage in excess of half their total hit points gain the broken condition, meaning they are less effective at their designated task. The broken condition has the following effects, depending upon the item.

• If the item is a weapon, any attacks made with the item suffer a –2 penalty on attack and damage rolls. Such weapons only score a critical hit on a natural 20 and only deal ×2 damage on a confirmed critical hit.

Funny! I wonder why everyone seems to remember it having one? I guess it really doesn't need a prereq since it is self-limiting. Not much point in taking it if your DEX is below 12, although I suppose you can still get an AoO while you are flat-footed.

Because Combat Reflexes grants attacks of opportunity equal to 1+ your Dex modifier and You don't have a positive Dex mod on a score less than 12, and all feat pre-reqs are odd. Simple combining of unrelated details.

pawsplay

Hero

how often do you make more than one AoO against moving opponents in a round? No, the AoO while flat-footed is actually the major benefit to take this feat, and makes it valuable to any creature with reach, whatever their Dex score.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
I thought you said you were going to start reading posts more carefully? :)

Nah. Gave that up when i realized it's more fun to just blaze through random posts and answer something else entirely.

That said... it IS amusing that most of us assumed that Combat Reflexes had a prereq. Weird.

And my "funny story" about adjusting monster stats at the last minute stands, and is likely the reason IF we messed up and made something like Dodge or Power Attack not work by 1 point. Although maybe we caught them all. That'd be nice.

It's also nice to find something that seems like an error in the book, upon closer reflection, isn't an error at all. Those are my favorite kinds of errata posts.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm slightly confused by the wording of the "Ability Scores" section for lycanthropes on page 196:

Ability Scores: +2 Wis, –2 Cha in all forms; +2 Str, +2 Con in hybrid and animal forms. Lycanthropes have enhanced senses but are not fully in control of their emotions and animalistic urges. In addition to these adjustments to the base creature's stats, a lycanthrope's ability scores change when he assumes hybrid or animal form. In human form, the lycanthrope's ability scores are unchanged from the base creature's form. In animal and hybrid form, the lycanthrope's ability scores are the same as the base creature's or the base animal's, whichever ability score is higher.

The last sentence is throwing me off. So, when in animal or hybrid form, all of the lycanthrope's ability scores use whichever score is higher from the base creature and base animal? So if my fighter with an 8 Wisdom became a wererat, his Wisdom would increase to 10 from the flat Wisdom bump, and in hybrid or animal form it'd increase to 13 (the score of a dire rat)?

Also, does this caveat apply before or after the racial modifiers that only apply for animal and hybrid forms (that is, the +2 Str, +2 Con)? If my wererat fighter had a 12 Constitution in human form, when he turns into hybrid/animal form, does he only apply the +2 bonus, since that'd bring him up to 14 (a dire rat's normal Constitution is 13), or does he adopt the dire rat's base Constitution and then apply the +2 bonus, for a total of 15?

I'm slightly confused by the wording of the "Ability Scores" section for lycanthropes on page 196:

The last sentence is throwing me off. So, when in animal or hybrid form, all of the lycanthrope's ability scores use whichever score is higher from the base creature and base animal? So if my fighter with an 8 Wisdom became a wererat, his Wisdom would increase to 10 from the flat Wisdom bump, and in hybrid or animal form it'd increase to 13 (the score of a dire rat)?

No it would stay what it was inhuman form. But in animal or wererat form it would be bumped up. And any stats that where higher in human form saty the higher stats not the animal one

Remove ads