Pathfinder: Burnt Offerings

Jemal

Adventurer
For a long time, I've been wanting to play a warlock from first level and actually keep going with it, if you'd allow it (Complete Arcane).

BTW, If you're waiting till august to pick the players, should we bother gettng together with each other to think of backstory/intermixing our characters, or should we create them all seperately?

OOC: No more Dragon/Dungeon? When'd I miss the memo??

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'd be interested in playing a human paladin of high birth (although not necessarily a nobleman per se, depending on what the setting is like), who's much more lawful than good and a bit of a classist. In the Shackled City campaign, I toyed with the idea of eventually falling and becoming a Lawful Evil blackguard who still believed he was serving the good of the people -- just that he was better qualified to see what that was than the other leaders. In his own mind, he was still a good person, just "pragmatic."

Obviously, this concept would run afoul of the no-evil rule in the long run, but the entire point would be that he wouldn't be disruptive, simply morally lost.

That sounds like a Fine Idea that you should run with. Becoming evil or becoming a blackguard over time could be something to shoot for over time. Such things are often easier for a group to swallow as a whole after the players have been playing together for a while and gotten a feel and appreciation for one another.

I forgot to add Book of Exalted Deeds to the list of allowed sources. I shall edit that in to the OP in short order, thanks for bringing it up.

Jdvn1 said:
Is the Dragon Compendium good to use?

I'm considering a Savant, or maybe one of the races in there.
Hm... pole arm-wielding Lupin Ranger or maybe a Tibbit Wizard going toward Force Missle Mage? Depends on if it's an outdoorsy adventure or not.

It'd be cool if we used Dragon and Dungeon material. :heh:

I don't own it and I normally don't allow books I own. I do think that it would be a fitting eulogy to use Dragon material, though. I don't think I'll open it up wholesale right now but I'll think about it over the weekend. You should go ahead and make the character you want to play. I'll edit my OP again to reflect a change in philosophy with regard to allowed books.

To sum it up: create what you love. If I don't want it for this game, I simply won't pick it. Odds are if you love it, it'll turn out great though. I'll make the Sourcebooks Allowed more of a Sourcebooks Preferred type thing.

Insight said:
So consider this a placeholder. I need to at least check out the Player's Guide before making a decision on a character concept. I should have something along those lines soon.

Placeholders are fine, go for it.

Jemal said:
BTW, If you're waiting till august to pick the players, should we bother gettng together with each other to think of backstory/intermixing our characters, or should we create them all seperately?

There's an existing list of the basics that I would like to see. I don't need a fully statted character sheet (yet) or a hugely detailed background (yet). No need in doing up either of those until after we get settled with who will be playing. Unless you just want to, which is also fine.

If Warlock is what you want, go for it. I do not own Complete Arcane and express preference for players using material that I own, however. Can you tell me if it's in the d20 SRD?

Insight

Adventurer
CanadienneBacon said:
I added Unearthed Arcana as well. Forgot I own that one. :heh:

What of the UA are you allowing? There's a lot of options in there.

Also, do you own Races of the Dragon? There's a 'monster class' in there that allows you to take Half-Dragon as a class instead of all at once (the LA +3). I might be interested in that angle.

My other thought is of a Ranger that hunts goblins. That would fit in well with the campaign concept (at least the first adventure) as I understand it.

Jemal

Adventurer
No, it's not SRD. it's basically a caster, but instead of spells, they have 'invocations', which are spell-like abilities. The character has a VERY limited choice of spell-like abilities (i think a total of 12 @ lvl 20), but they can be used @will.
It also has only a single 'offensive' attack, the "Eldritch Blast" which is a 60' ranged touch attack that deals 1d6/odd level (Until high level when it changes downwad, only reaching 9d6 by lvl 20). Some of the invocations they can take modify it (the two most common are 1st level choices - Eldritch spear, which gives it a range of 250', and Hideous Blow, which lets you add your E.blast damage to a single melee attack as a standard action. Higher level ones change it to area of effects like cones/chain lightning/etc.)
Warlocks have a 3/4 BAB and good Will saves, 1d6 HD. Must be either Chaotic OR Evil.

We've got a while though, so I'll give more thought to other concets. I don't want to try something if the DM isn't completely comfortable with it.

Remove ads