• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder: Burnt Offerings

Kaodi, please double check these numbers for Phythas's attack versus a goblin and let me know if you spot a discrepancy.

Strength 12 = +1
Racial bonus vs. goblinoid = +1
Fighter BAB = +1
Weapon Focus (hooked hammer) = +1
Size modifier vs another small-sized creature = +0
Total = +4

Adding in Charge = +2
Total = +6

Just want to make sure I've got that straight. Incidentally, can any of you folks who are good at figuring math reason with me whether small-sized characters who fight other small-sized creatures should both have their respective attack and AC bonuses yanked or would it better to just leave both bonuses in place all the time? ie: Phythas and Penn are Small. They get +1 to attack and +1 to AC because of their size. The goblin is also Small. It gets +1 to attack and +1 to AC because of its size. I can either remember to yank size modifiers for attack and AC for equivalent-size combatants or I can simply leave everyone's size modifier in place. Statistically, is there a difference?

Blind Azathoth, apologies for missing that Ravi speaks Goblin. When I referenced your character sheet, his list of known languages was so freakin' long--and at 1st level!--that I'm guessing I glossed over it and missed seeing it mixed in there in the middle.

It's nice to see a PC with a bunch of languages. I don't always see that in my games, so I'm appreciative.

Insight

Adventurer
CanadienneBacon said:
Incidentally, can any of you folks who are good at figuring math reason with me whether small-sized characters who fight other small-sized creatures should both have their respective attack and AC bonuses yanked or would it better to just leave both bonuses in place all the time? ie: Phythas and Penn are Small. They get +1 to attack and +1 to AC because of their size. The goblin is also Small. It gets +1 to attack and +1 to AC because of its size. I can either remember to yank size modifiers for attack and AC for equivalent-size combatants or I can simply leave everyone's size modifier in place. Statistically, is there a difference?

It's easier to leave all the size modifiers in place all the time. There is no difference between two combatants of the same size fighting each other, but you might run into trouble in mixed groups. Easier to just apply all of those mods all the time - that way, you don't accidentally forget one.

Kaodi

Hero
All modifiers, all the time.

Imagine you were trying to do it seperately with a combat consisting of a large creature, a medium creature, a small create and a tiny creature. You would have to recalculate the difference every time someone attacked.

Small vs. small? Nothing. Small vs. tiny? +1 atk and AC for the tiny. Large vs. tiny? +4 atk and AC for the tiny. Colossal vs. Fine? +16 Atk and AC for the fine. And if I made any screwups in that math, it proves the point.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Being a sometimes forgetful sort of person, I'm inclined to leave everyone's modifiers in place all the time. I'll edit the last combat post to reflect this for Phythas. (ie: we'll go with +7 vice +6).

One of my children has a fever and flu-like symptoms. I had her at home today, caring for her, and will likely have her out of kindergarten tomorrow as well. Apologies, but until she is well enough to return to school, I will be otherwise occupied and won't be posting.

Thanks, guys. See you on the flip side. Olaf, I hope you and your wife are home from the hospital by now. With the baby. Whizbang, you were so quiet when you had your baby earlier this summer that I largely missed commenting on the event. Apologies. I hope by now you're in the groove of things.

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
Well! Such baby-oriented news of late...

I'm sorry to hear your daughter is unwell, CB, but glad (though I am late to say so) to hear yours is well, Olaf; to CB, I hope that she feels well again soon, and to Olaf, I hope that she continues being well; and to Whizbang, I hope yours stays well as well or feels more well if she is not so well; and to Kaodi, well, I have no idea if you even have a child, much less if he or she is well or not well, but just in case you do: I wish them well, as well.

Well... I think that's all the wells for me. :)

Remove ads