• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Converted Monsters

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
My brother's favorite. I'm pretty sure this one will also be in the Pathfinder bestiary, but here is a stand-in to use in the meantime.

TRICERATOPS
CR 9 (6,400 XP)
N HUGE ANIMAL
Init -1; Senses Low-light vision, scent; Perception +13

DEFENSE
AC 20; touch 7, flat-footed 20 (-2 size, -1 Dex, +13 natural)
hp 199 (16d8+127)
Fort +19 (reroll 1/day), Ref +9, Will +6

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Gore +20 (2d8+15)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Powerful charge, trample 2d12+15

STATISTICS
Str 30, Dex 9, Con 25, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 7
Base Atk +12; CMB +30; CMD 39
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Improved Great Fortitude, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Armor (x2), Run, Toughness
Skills: Perception +13, Stealth -1
Languages: none

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm forests and plains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or herd (5-8)
Treasure: None

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Powerful Charge (Ex): When a triceratops charges, its gore attack deals 4d8+20 points of damage.

Trample (Ex): A triceratops deals 2d12+15 points of damage when overruning foes. Creatures that do not take attacks of opportunity against the triceratops may attempt a Reflex save (DC 28) for half damage. The save DC is Strength-based.

------------
A triceratops has a body about 25 feet long and weighs about 20,000 pounds. These creatures are likely to charge and skewer any creature of at least Large size that infringes on their territory. A triceratops uses its trample attack on smaller opponents.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

I know what you are thinking..."Why don't you just use the Dire Tiger from the Bestiary Preview?" Normally, I would...but it was just too powerful. The saber-toothed tigers in the Basic Rulebook were only 8 HD monsters, after all, and the dire tiger is twice that. Since the saber-tooths are fairly common on the Isle, even domesticated and used as mounts, I figured it would be best to scale their power back a little and create an "Isle of Dread Variant" of this cat.

SABER-TOOTHED TIGER (SMILODON)
CR 6 (2,400 XP)
N LARGE ANIMAL
Init +2; Senses Low-light vision, scent; Perception +

DEFENSE
AC 17; touch 10, flat-footed 15 (+3 Dex, -1 size, +6 natural)
hp 150 (8d8+)
Fort +14, Ref +10, Will +4

OFFENSE
Speed 50 ft.
Melee Claw +14 (2d4+5), bite +8 (2d6+2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Grab, pounce, rake +14 (2d4+4)

STATISTICS
Str 20, Dex 17, Con 17, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 10
Base Atk +6; CMB +11; CMD 24
Feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Attack (bite), Run, Weapon Focus (claw)
Skills: Jump +7, Perception +4, Stealth +5, Swim +7; Racial Modifiers Stealth +4

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm forests and grasslands
Organization: Solitary or group (2-4)

SPECIAL ATTACKS
Grab (Ex): If a saber-toothed tiger hits with its claw attack, it deals damage as normal and attempts to start a graple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it can rake.

Pounce (Ex): When charging, a saber-toothed tiger can make a full attack, including 2 rake attacks.

------------
Saber-tooth tigers are the largest and most ferocious of the great cats. They have oversized fangs, from which they get their name.1

The saber-toothed tigers of The Isle of Dread are faster and leaner than the dire tigers of the mainland. Though they aren't as strong, they are more readily domesticated (Wis 14), particulary by the catlike rakasta.

------------
1. Gygax, G. and Arneson, D. 1983. Dungeon Masters Rulebook. Random House, Inc.

CleverNickName

Here's an old favorite of mine.

RHAGODESSA
CR 2 (600 XP)
N LARGE VERMIN
Init +3; Senses Darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense; Perception +4

DEFENSE
AC 14; touch 12, flat-footed 11 (+3 Dex, -1 size, +2 natural)
hp 22 (4d8+4)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1

OFFENSE
Speed 30 ft., Climb 20 ft.
Melee Leg +5 (0), bite +0 (2d6+2)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft. (leg)
Special Attacks: Grab

STATISTICS
Str 15, Dex 17, Con 12, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 8
Base Atk +3; CMB +9; CMD 22
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (bite)B
Skills: Climb +10, Perception +4, Stealth +3; Racial Modifiers Climb +8, Perception +4, Stealth +4

ECOLOGY
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary or colony (2-6)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Grab (Ex): If a rhagodessa hits with its leg attack, it deals no damage but may attempt to start a graple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If the rhagodessa gets a hold, it draws its prey into its jaws and bites. A rhagodessa gains a +4 circumstance bonus to bite attacks against a grabbed opponent.

------------
A rhagodessa is a giant spider-like carnivore, about the size of a small horse. It has an oversized head and jaws (mandibles) colored yellow, and a dark brown thorax. It has 5 pairs of legs; the front pair end in suckers which help the creature grasp its prey. Rhagodessae are nocturnal--only hunting in the dark.1

VARIANT: JUNGLE RHAGODESSAE (CR 3)
A more dangerous variety of rhagodessa is known to lurk in dense jungles and swamps. These enormous spiders are dark green in color, with brown and black stripes that blend into the foliage. Unlike their subterranean cousins, the bite of a jungle rhagodessa is poisonous.

A jungle rhagodessa is identical to the standard variety except as noted below.

800 XP

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm forests and marshes
Organization: Solitary or group (2-3)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Poison (Ex): Bite--injury; save Fort DC 13, frequency 1/round for 6 rounds, effect 1d4 Strength, cure 2 consecutive saves.

------------
1. Gygax, G. and Arneson, D. 1983. Dungeons & Dragons Expert Rulebook. Random House, Inc.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

The Rules Cyclopedia version of the giant crocodile has 15 HD, where the SRD version only has 7. So I advanced the SRD monster to 15 HD before converting it. Presto, a "prehistoric" crocodile. (Would that make this a dire crocodile, then?) Anyway:

CROCODILE, GIANT
CR 6 (2,400 XP)
N HUGE ANIMAL
Init +1; Senses Low-light vision; Perception +8

DEFENSE
AC 19; touch 9, flat-footed 18 (+1 Dex, -2 size, +10 natural)
hp 142 (15d8+75)
Fort +14, Ref +10, Will +6

OFFENSE
Speed 20 ft., Swim 30 ft.
Melee Bite +18 (3d8+9), tail slap +18 (1d12+9)
Special Attacks: Grab

STATISTICS
Str 28, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 2
Base Atk +11; CMB +22; CMD 33
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Armor (x3), Improved Natural Attack (bite), Skill Focus (Stealth)
Skills: Perception +8, Stealth +8, Swim +19; Racial Modifiers Stealth +4, Swim +8

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm swamps
Organization: Solitary or colony (6-11)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Grab (Ex): If a giant crocodile hits with its bite attack, it deals damage as normal and may attempt to start a graple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. Creatures grappled by a crocodile take automatic bite damage each round until freed. If possible, a giant crocodile will attempt to drag its prey into deep water while grappling.

Hold Breath (Ex): A giant crocodile can hold its breath for a number of rounds equal to 4 x its Constitution score before it risks drowning.

------------
Crocodiles are commonly found in tropical and semitropical swamps and rivers. Sometimes they are seen in underground rivers and seas. Awkward on land, crocodiles do not stray far from water and will spend hours floating just under the surface. At such times, they can be mistaken for logs.

If hungry, these animals will attack creatures in the water. They are particularly attracted to the smell of blood or violent thrashing of the water. Giant crocodiles are almost always found in "lost worlds" where prehistoric creatures thrive.1

------------
1. Allston, A. 1991. Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia. Random House, Inc.

CleverNickName

Another "sort of converted" monster. This is your standard SRD elephant, but advanced to 15 HD (per the Rules Cyclopedia's mastodon) before converting over to Pathfinder.

ELEPHANT, PREHISTORIC (MASTODON)
CR 8 (4,800 XP)
N HUGE ANIMAL
Init +0; Senses Low-light vision, scent; Perception +19

DEFENSE
AC 17; touch 8, flat-footed 17 (-2 size, +9 natural)
hp 157 (15d8+90)
Fort +16, Ref +9, Will +8

OFFENSE
Speed 40 ft.
Melee Gore +24 (3d8+15)
Special Attacks: Trample 2d8+15

STATISTICS
Str 30, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 2, Wis 13, Cha 7
Base Atk +11; CMB +23; CMD 33
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Natural Armor (x2), Iron Will, Skill Focus (Perception), Toughness
Skills: Perception +19

ECOLOGY
Environment: Warm plains
Organization: Solitary or herd (2-16)

SPECIAL ABILITIES
Trample (Ex): A mastodon's trample attack deals 2d8+15 points of damage. Trampled opponents can attempt attacks of opportunity, but at a -4 penalty to hit. Creatures that do not make attacks of opportunity may attempt Reflex saves (DC 25) for half damage. The save DC is Strength-based.

------------
This creature is a large, shaggy elephant. It has two mighty tusks that slope downward and then curve up and backward toward the elephant; they are a mighty battering weapon. Mastodons live in cold, icy lands or "lost worlds."1

------------
1. Allston, A. 1991. Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia. Random House, Inc.

Last edited:

soggybag

First Post
Help meet out, I want to write up an Ogre for Pathfinder. I figure I can use it pretty much straight out of 3.5 MM. But it shouldn't be too hard to update it for Pathfinder, I'm just not sure what changes to make. Thanks.

pawsplay

Hero
While I can appreciate the usefulness of higher CR monsters, I've tended to feel "natural" beasties should be at the lower end. Something like a dinosaur I envision as being at the higher end of Strength and natural armor for its size and hid dice. A 15 HD crocodile? That implies not only great size but frightening deadliness. I have a hard time picturing a band of adventurers setting forth to slay the crocodile.

pawsplay

Hero
Help meet out, I want to write up an Ogre for Pathfinder. I figure I can use it pretty much straight out of 3.5 MM. But it shouldn't be too hard to update it for Pathfinder, I'm just not sure what changes to make. Thanks.

With 4 HD, it has exactly the same number of feats. Class skills become Climb and Perception, which become Climb +10 (+7 in hide armor) and Perception +5, assuming you split the ranks evenly. The update to Toughness means the ogre gets one more hit point, for a total of 30. At CR 3, the ogre is worth 800 xp.

CleverNickName

This monster will be included in the Pathfinder Bestiary that is due out soon, but here is a quick work-up to use in the meantime. It's really not difficult to "convert" from 3.5E to PF; most of the time you just redo the skills and add some feats.

(EDIT: Ninja'd by Paws.) :)

Last edited:

CleverNickName

While I can appreciate the usefulness of higher CR monsters, I've tended to feel "natural" beasties should be at the lower end. Something like a dinosaur I envision as being at the higher end of Strength and natural armor for its size and hid dice. A 15 HD crocodile? That implies not only great size but frightening deadliness. I have a hard time picturing a band of adventurers setting forth to slay the crocodile.
I know, right? A lot of the monsters in the Isle of Dread are rather silly.

According to the original description, that 15 HD crocodile is over 50 feet long, often attacks ships, and is only found in "lost world" areas...so I guess it is supposed to be a kind of dinosaur, or a different sort of sea monster. But the thought of a fifty-foot crocodile terrorizing the local fishing community reminds me too much of a certain cheesy horror flick of the 80's.

But then again, the Isle of Dread was written in 1981...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads