Pathfinder fighters - anything I should know? (build advice)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Haven't tried a Fighter yet, but they still seem to get an icky class skill list. Granted, you can buy up ranks on cross class skills at no penalty, but the +3 class skill bonus is nice. If you can dip (any other class with nice class skills) 1 level, that might be worth pursuing. Even something similar to your career field like Barbarian can get you Acrobatics and Perception...

Although, if you ever plan on becoming Large (via Enlarge Person, etc), both 1d8 and 1d10 turn into 2d6 with a size increase, so the bastard sword is kind of a weak choice for that feat.

Did Pathfinder change the damage tables to this? In 3E, a d10 goes to 2d8, a d8 goes to 2d6 when enlarged. So when enlarged, the bastard sword would be givin you +2 average damage higher. Still not worth a feat, IMO, but if you really have nothing better at all to spend one on...

Olive

Explorer
It was more his response to your post. Like it's either Weapon Focus or Bastard Sword, but not both...
At least, that's the impression I got from his "damn, longsword then".

I can't do both and get the feats I want at level 1. If I took weapon focus (BS) and EWP (BS) I'd have to drop cleave. Then I take cleave at 2nd, shield focus at 3rd. I think I'll stick with a longsword.

Kaisoku

First Post
I can't do both and get the feats I want at level 1.

Gotcha.

Did Pathfinder change the damage tables to this? In 3E, a d10 goes to 2d8, a d8 goes to 2d6 when enlarged. So when enlarged, the bastard sword would be givin you +2 average damage higher. Still not worth a feat, IMO, but if you really have nothing better at all to spend one on...

Odd.. why am I remembering this from someplace? Strange...
Maybe I'm thinking of how 1d8 jumps to 2d6 (a 2 point increase) skipping 1d10.. which doesn't really apply here at all.
That's what I get for posting while tired...

Remove ads