• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Pathfinder] Flames of Littleton

VanorDM

Explorer
End of round 2:

Lydia steps back and breaths out a cone of fire, that burns the four orc's near her. The two on her left and right manage to avoid part of the flames but still get a bit singed, the two in front of her get the full brunt of the flames.

Talmon summons up arcane energy and gives the Orc's a simple command, two of the 5 near Calvin take his advice and start running towards the east and out of the village. The other three don't take off running but do seem slightly stunned by the power of Talmons spell.

[sblock=ooc]Lydia, 2 orc's save 2 don't. Talmon all the orc's fail their save, but only two of them did so badly enough to actually take your advice.

WalkingDad, Your action will take place in the 3rd round which is starting now. So everyone post up your actions and we'll get this fight going. :)
[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Round 3
Std Action:
the enlarged human grunts with effort at tryining once again to strike an orc, but his skill at fighting is just not good enough, nore is the factor of luck on his side as he swings the oaken staff.

BBCode
1d20+2=7, 1d6+3=7 (this time I remembered the effects of the enlarge spell and the bless!)

[sblock=info]
bless duration: 1 minute
00000 00000

enlarge spell
This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid creature, doubling its height and multiplying its weight by 8. This increase changes the creature's size category to the next larger one. The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size.

A humanoid creature whose size increases to Large has a space of 10 feet and a natural reach of 10 feet. This spell does not change the target's speed.

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If it fails, it is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing it--the spell cannot be used to crush a creature by increasing its size.

All equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly enlarged by the spell. Melee weapons affected by this spell deal more damage (see Table: Tiny and Large Weapon Damage). Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any enlarged item that leaves an enlarged creature's possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown and projectile weapons deal their normal damage. Magical properties of enlarged items are not increased by this spell.
[/sblock]

[after though] if the enlarge spell makes me into a 10 foot space creature with 10 foot reach, then would that have ment that an AOO should have been available to use on an orc? it is too late now to do any thing, i am sure, but just a thought.[/after thought]

Last edited:

Onyx

First Post
Round 3
Std Action:
the enlarged human grunts with effort at tryining once again to strike an orc, but his skill at fighting is just not good enough, nore is the factor of luck on his side as he swings the oaken staff.

BBCode
1d20+2=7, 1d6+3=7 (this time I remembered the effects of the enlarge spell and the bless!)

[after though] if the enlarge spell makes me into a 10 foot space creature with 10 foot reach, then would that have ment that an AOO should have been available to use on an orc? it is too late now to do any thing, i am sure, but just a thought.[/after thought]

OOC - Don't forget that your weapon does 1d8 now, as opposed to 1d6 (though it appears that it hasn't hit yet. :p). From the look of the battle ground it certainly looks like you would be entitled to an AoO.
End of round 2:

Lydia steps back and breaths out a cone of fire, that burns the four orc's near her. The two on her left and right manage to avoid part of the flames but still get a bit singed, the two in front of her get the full brunt of the flames.

Talmon summons up arcane energy and gives the Orc's a simple command, two of the 5 near Calvin take his advice and start running towards the east and out of the village. The other three don't take off running but do seem slightly stunned by the power of Talmons spell.

[sblock=ooc]Lydia, 2 orc's save 2 don't. Talmon all the orc's fail their save, but only two of them did so badly enough to actually take your advice.

WalkingDad, Your action will take place in the 3rd round which is starting now. So everyone post up your actions and we'll get this fight going. :)
[/sblock]

OOC - I'm once again confused. The Hypnotism spell (see link) does not have degrees of success or failure. The spell checks to see how many of the possible targets maybe affected (by a roll of 2d4). Once this number is established and targets selected, each is allowed a will save. If the spell is cast in combat those targets get a +2 on this saving throw. After the success or failure of those saves is determined, the targets which failed become fascinated, reacting two steps more friendly in attitude (from hostile to indifferent), and allowing me to make a brief and reasonable request of the creature.

Then as side notes, the creatures continue to have this attitude toward me in regards to the request and they do not remember being enspelled by me.

I hope this clarifies the spell.

VanorDM

Explorer
OOC - and allowing me to make a brief and reasonable request of the creature.

Yes but that does not mean they will do what you say. Even a Suggestion spell which is higher level doesn't mean the target will always do what you say, the suggestion has to be reasonable, and at least not harmful to the creature itself.

What you're doing is asking a group of orc's who clearly out number the party to run away and give up all the loot and such that they might other wise walk away with. Plus other stuff that I can't really go into right now.

As I read it hypnotism is a weaker form of Suggestion with the added effect of the creature being fascinated for the duration.

Onyx

First Post
Round 3 actions

The elf sees the reaction of his bespelled orcs and turns his attention to those orcs who seem unaffected. Talmon moves to the other side of his fellow elf and let's loose a dart of acid with a word and gesture.

OOC - Talmon takes a 15' move ending here. He then uses his Acid Dart Conjuration School ability targeting the orc currently flanked by Lydia and Onslau (10' ahead of Talmon).

1d20+3 → [10,3] = (13) on my ranged touch attack.

1d6 → [2] = (2) damage.

THIS ATTACK ROLL WAS EDITED - PLEASE LOOK AGAIN

[sblock=Acid Dart]
Acid Dart (Sp): As a standard action you can unleash an acid dart targeting any foe within 30 feet as a ranged touch attack. The acid dart deals 1d6 points of acid damage + 1 for every two wizard levels you possess. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Intelligence modifier. This attack ignores spell resistance.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Onyx

First Post
Yes but that does not mean they will do what you say. Even a Suggestion spell which is higher level doesn't mean the target will always do what you say, the suggestion has to be reasonable, and at least not harmful to the creature itself.

What you're doing is asking a group of orc's who clearly out number the party to run away and give up all the loot and such that they might other wise walk away with. Plus other stuff that I can't really go into right now.

As I read it hypnotism is a weaker form of Suggestion with the added effect of the creature being fascinated for the duration.

OOC - I understand your position and will respect your ruling as DM.

However, I would like it to be known that I feel imposing a 'degree of failure' mechanic on this is clearly outside of both the intention and spirit of the spell.

I understand that different DM's will have different stances on the way Enchantment spells are to be handled and respect the difficulty in the judgements that must be made to prevent them from being completely impotent or absolutely game breaking.

Walking Dad

First Post
Reposting Round 3 action:

Devos

Devos desperately fires his crossbow at the orcs, having already spend all his more powerful magics.

[sblock=ooc]
Crossbow attack (1d20+2=14, 1d8=4)
against orc left of Lydia, miss.

Active:
Dancing Light cantrip 6 rds
casting mage armor (1 hr)
AC 17 (T13, FF14)

AC 13 (T13, FF10), HP 12/12, F +2,R+2,W+2
0 Level: Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Guidance
1 Level: Mage Armor, Sleep
[/sblock]

Onyx

First Post
Lydia joins up with the rest of the defenders by taking a step to her left and then swings her morningstar at the orc in front of her. She gives the orc a crack on the side of its leg. Unfortunately, its armor absorbs all of the damage.

[sblock=Mechanics]Round 3 Morningstar attack, damage (1d20=16, 1d6-1=0)[/sblock]

OOC - Be sure to remember that your minimum damage in any given attack is always 1. 1d6-110 still does one damage. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads