[Pathfinder] Hewligan's Rise of the Runelords: The Hook Mountain Massacre

hewligan

First Post
OOC: I was waiting for everyone to post at least once, just to make sure all 4 of you had checked in and were ready to go, but I am not going to wait any longer, so a proper IC will happen tonight, based on the assumption that you all agreed to leave, decided to go by horse, have acquired/hired horses, and are leaving without delay.

Rhun

First Post
OOC: I'm fairly certain Danth had a horse at one point. At least, I remember him having one when he rode back to Sandpointe the first time.

hewligan

First Post
The nine days in the saddle should, by all accounts, have been miserable. It rained off and on, despite the time of year. The nights were cold. Four of the nights were spent in the open, huddled around a campfire. On one of those nights the rain started up again .... it should have been miserable, but somehow it was fun. It was fun to be out and about again, on a mission, freed from the various ties that seemed to be trying to pull you into the quiet life. And the nights you did find a way-inn, those were really good fun. Drinking, story telling, cards and dice, enough food to kill a horse, and then a few snatched hours of sleep.

The territory grew progressively more wild, with the smattering of trees becoming thicker as the days wore on, and the towns more sporadic. This was proper wild-Magnimar area. Still not Shoanti territory, but goblins and other creatures called this place home, and although the trade route you followed was relatively safe, and relatively well dotted with inns, farms, and homesteads, even these started to thin out.

Then you hit Whistledown and the end of the Yondabakari River. Whistledown lay at the western tip of the Fenwall mountains, where Lake Syrantala becomes the Yondabakari River. It is the primary gnome settlement in Varisia, and the midway point of your journey. You spent your fifth night here, and then set off north-east along the banks of Lake Syrantula, and up to Ilsurian for the seventh night, and then the last push up the Skull River towards Turtleback Ferry.

You arrived late on the ninth day. Very late.

Turtleback Ferry is a small township perched on the rain drenched north shore of Claybottom Lake. Three distinctive ferries crafted from the shells of giant turtles slain by Autek Lavendy, one of the town's founders, make Turtleback Ferry the central trading town for the region. It is nearly 80 miles from Ilsurian, the next reasonable-sized town, and is nominally under Magnimarian rule. This rule provides Turtleback Ferry with protection from the ogres and ogrekin that dwell in this wild region, and in return Magnimar gets a vital trade-route north to the Storval Deep and Wyvern Mountains.

Te town is friendly enough, as Jovik and Jokad know from their previous visits here (a few times while working at Fort Rannick). There is a general store, an inn (The Turtle's Parlor), a tavery (Bottoms Up), and a smith. There was also a floating gambling hall that Jovik and Jokad visited once - a place possibly worth a revisit.

This is your base fo rthe night, before the final day of travel north to Fort Rannick, some 25 miles along a rather dangerous forest route.

frostrune

First Post
"Ahhh.... Turtleback Ferry!" Jokad claps his big grey on the shoulder and sits a little taller in the saddle.

With a knowing nod toward Jovik, Jokad leads the others through the winding streets toward the Turtle's Parlor. The weather beaten signboard sways in the mountain breeze as the party calls a halt outside the door. A sandy haired youth seemingly appears from out of nowhere to lead the horses to the stables. "Aaron," Jokad shouts, "meet my new friend Mist. See he gets a good brushing and rubdown and I'll have a silver for you in the morning; two if you can pry away some of the old man's finer oats!"

Turning back to his friends he says, "Figured we should stow our gear and secure a warm bed, then see what trouble we can get into...". He trails off into that all too familiar boyish smirk that is so at odds with his fierce nature.

OOC: Hew - Jokad wants to secure a room, then head to the tavern to have a few drinks, see who's in town, and see what the locals know of the happenings at the fort.

Before we leave town he wants to get a few bottles of hard liquor to take up to boys at the Fort.

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Danth smiles, at least until he dismounts his horse; Then he is assaulted by the aches and pains of every sore muscle in his body. He grimaces for a moment, and then walks around his horse, working the stiffness from his legs.

"So, a room and a meal, then?" he asks Jokad.

frostrune

First Post
"A room at the least," he says fetching his saddlebags and gear off of Mist. "We might be better to take a meal at the Bottoms Up. The food probably won't be as good but this is the last bastion of civilization before we reach Ft. Rannick. Good place to learn anything that might be going on at the Fort. Some folks might even remember Jovik and I. Hopefully that will help loosen a few tongues. Somebody's got to know something."

Rhun

First Post
Danth chuckles as he gathers his own gear. "And hopefully the impression you left doesn't get you a knife in the back."

Fenris

Adventurer
Danth chuckles as he gathers his own gear. "And hopefully the impression you left doesn't get you a knife in the back."

"I don't get 'em, I leave 'em"
jokes Jovik. "But yeah, the Black Arrows were here often enough, they should remember us well enough I would warrant, we'll see what we can dig up"

OOC: Diplomacy +12 (gather information is now under Diplomacy)

hewligan

First Post
By the heavens, the beer tastes good. The owner of the bar and several of the customers do recognise Jovik and Jokad, and raise their glasses in greeting. Four ales are ordered, and the day's long ride is almost forgotten as the first deep gulp slips down the throat.

It is busy in here tonight, but there is a nervousness, a strange tension about the place that you cannot help but notice. It is as if everyone is speaking in slightly hushed tones.

The first ale is drunk in silence, as you soak up the vibe and let the heat of the fireplace warm your bones. But now it is time to see what information you can rustle up. A palm full of silvers, a few bought ales, and a whole lot of idle chatter .....

OOC: Someone needs to make a gather info check for me please.

Remove ads