• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[PATHFINDER] Paranormal Protection Agency (OOC)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Just a quick bump to DragonWriter's post above about dice rolling.

Can you let us know your preferred method, M-D?

If it's using an online roller, as I've never done it before can someone give me a quick guide on what to do?

BTW, do you have all the info you need on the character sheets? Is there a central place we can store them or is having them in the thread good enough for you?

Now I'm back at work I'm afraid I'll be doing the old time zone tag with most of the rest of you - hope I don't slow things down too much!

Invisible Castle is a good online dice roller. There are explanations on site for the best way to use it, and each time you roll it gives several code options for pasting here to link back to your roll.

As far as stats and roll modifiers, I typically post a 'Stat Block' (see below) with combat stuff. M-D, if you need more or different info in my stat block I hope you'll let me know . . .

[sblock=Stat Block]
Code:
   HP: 72/72     AC: 27   AC(T): 20   AC(FF): 19    AC vs. Traps: +2
 Init: +06    ST(F):+04   ST(R):+13    ST(W):+05    Saves: +2 vs. Fear
                                                           +2 vs. Traps (Reflex)

BAB: 06       CMB: 11 (Trip +4; + Archann's Bonus)  CMD: 26

Weapon                  Attack    Damage      Critical     Special
Achrann (Spiked Chain)  +12/+07   1d6+4          20/x2     +2 TH/+2d6 Damage
                                                            (Undead/Abberations)
Sling (+1)              +14/+09   1d3+3          20/x2     Range: 80'
Short Sword             +11/+06   1d4+2       19-20/x2     
Dagger (Thrown)         +11/+06   1d3+2       19-20/x2     Range: 10'
[/sblock]

Mithral·Dragon

First Post
Handling Die Rolls...

There are a number of tried and true methods. I'm not concerned where you rolled your dice. Nor do I need a signed affidavit of the results. If you fudge every roll - so be it. Just give me the results of your roll inclusive of modifiers and assume success if you know the DC has been met or exceeded (or are reasonable certain, in the case of attack rolls). That includes posting damage dice or results. For spellcasters, kindly include a caster level check with your spells when you believe SR may be at play - such as targetting any other creature. Finally, when it comes to me throwing down a DC-check like a save, I may or maynot post the actual DC depending on the situation.

The PC's... I have hard copies for my records. :D

Thanks again everyone for your participation. I'll be working via PM over the next week(ish) to verify PC's.

- MD|DM

grufflehead

First Post
Re: the contents of the messages posting in the IC thread.

Being new to pbp I'm not sure if this is *done* but I know if I was sitting at a table with any of my old groups this is the sort of discussion we'd be having when faced with a challenge like this.

As it looks like splitting into 2 groups wouldn't be such a bad idea (more work for the GM!), I'm just throwing out some suggestions for who might fit each situation best. One of the disadvantages of the time zone difference is that, depending on when MD posts, I'm almost bound to jump in first to reply, or else everybody has to wait til the next morning to see my response, which slows it down. I'm enjoying this so much that I'm looking to be posting every day, which I appreciate isn't going to suit everybody, to keep the momentum up.

I hope nobody feels I'm forcing them one way or another, as that's certainly not my intention. From a (sorry!) meta-game perspective I reckon as Vilastri can track, may have some beast lore being a Ranger, has aerial recon potential via familiar and is the only one with elven blood he's a natural for the griffons. If we need flying support, one of the casters - sorry, I didn't look at people's spell lists in any detail so that may be a moot point! - fits, but otherwise I don't see any particular PC being suited to that one.

For the college, it looks like CSI (Airard I hope!) and info gathering (me) are required, and again, deal with anything unexpected as it comes up.

Any thoughts? Do you pbp vets do this sort of discussion in OOC threads?

Anyway, got to hit the hay - can't keep doing these 1AM finishes on a school night ;)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Glad you're having a good time, grufflehead! It's really cool to be in a game with enthusiastic players. If this game lives up to its early promise it's gonna be awesome!

One of the things I like about PbP is that - for those of us who are shy about talking in character during a face to face game - it's easier to have the current kind of discussion IC on the boards.

In my old face to face group this would have been a discussion the players were having about their characters. In PbP it seems easier to keep the discussions of tactics between the characters themselves.

On a related note, discussion of tactics while in the middle of a fight or in a situation where the characters have to watch what they say can be handled in different ways, and it's really easy to slip into metagaming in PbP - acting on information one's character wouldn't really have. Some folks are fine with this; my personal inclination is to avoid it where I can.

Shayuri

First Post
Nothing wrong with a bit of OOC chatter, especially on issues like this. Keeps the IC thread from getting cluttered with long, ultimately specious posts where we go around and around trying to decide.

I'm also fine with splitting. PBP is -much- more suited for split groups and even solo sidestories than table top is. It's even possible to put each group in its own thread, though hardly necessary, as long as we all know where everyone is.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Well, from my perspective the College is the most urgent. The boy is likely near death and in need of some sort of attention. We have no solid information on the Aerie.

I would say we all go to the College to check out the situation and split from there if it becomes necessary.

Mithral·Dragon

First Post
OOC Usage

Chatter? I suppose if this was a chat game..

I don't mind the OOC discussions. Fact is, things could easily occur via PM, too. Metagaming or powergaming, or however you want to mince the semantics - it's all good.

Splitting Groups: Had I any doubts, I'd not have enabled such a large party initially. Yes, indeed - splitting groups at the table top is like splitting hairs. In the forum world it's as easy as pie with a few properly placed link to keep everything succinct.

- MD

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I think that Posh (even though he doesn't really show it) would be interested in the Dean's problem. Like he said in game, simple cases often pose vexing problems. That said, he will be fine going either direction. FYI, he's going to protest. Just attribute it to him being a grumpy, airheaded gnome.

Mithral·Dragon

First Post
After careful review, I believe only Shard had any stated objections to the following:

Physical Location: Aerie of the Griffons
Group A:
- Korva
- Randell
- Shard
- Velastri

Physical Location: Bardic College - New Olamn
Group B:
- Airard
- Helena
- Poshment
- Remedy

Regardless, I'll be posting IC threads to contain the investigations of each case. This means there'll be 3 active IC threads at the same time. PC's should be posting to only one of the PPA IC threads at any given time. I'll include links at the initial posting of such IC Threads as well as herein. I think this is the best, most efficient manner to moderate things.

Thanks!
- MD

Dragonwriter

First Post
That looks like a good set to me. If Shard really wants to go to the college, Group A should be able to make do with our trio. And we've established a decent way of calling for help from across the city.

For another little bit of reference as to how it'll be done, I offer these pictorials from the Order of the Stick: 512 and 513. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads